Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should women in the military be allowed to fight in direct combat units?
Yes 69 57.98%
No 42 35.29%
Not sure 8 6.72%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 06:03 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,709,355 times

Advertisements

They need to look at each MOS rather than blanket rules
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 06:17 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,098,605 times
Felt the same as stillkit for a long time. However, have come around to if you want to step up and "man up", who's to say you're wrong when you've already done more by just joining than most others.

In the end it just comes down to if they want to "ride together, die together", and they're willing to put it out there, then hell yeah. Let 'em show the enemy how American women can kick ass in their battle rattle. What better way to demoralize an enemy who sees women as inferior. Show 'em how inferior they are as they flashbang their cave!

Old 01-14-2011, 06:43 AM

175 posts, read 302,606 times
As long as they keep the same physical standards for the job and don't lower them just to allow females to enter, I see nothing wrong with it. I will say that whenever this does happen, the females that start it had better not get pregnant while deployed or preparing to deploy because then that will just prove those against it right. Like others said there are already females getting attached to infantry and other combat arms units and holding their own, another example being those females in the Marines and Army attached to combat arms units to be female engagement teams. All sorts of women go outside the wire now anyway.

[MOD CUT]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 01-16-2011 at 03:55 PM.. Reason: response to deleted post

Old 01-14-2011, 06:47 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,880,765 times
Sure,the standards will have to be changed of course.

Because right now,women aren't made to perform the same PT as men,have lower standards set.

U.S. Army Physical Fitness Chart - Males (Ages 17-21)

U.S. Army Physical Fitness Chart - Females (Ages 17-21)

From the charts above,a 17-21 male gets 100 for running 2 miles in 13:00
But a female 17-21 gets 100 for running it in 15:36

They should also have to have the same uniform,and outward appearance.
Meaning same haircut.
Army Grooming Standards

Army Grooming Standards

Above you can read the differing standards regarding appearance between males and females in the Army.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:50 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,201,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_double_d View Post
As long as they keep the same physical standards and don't lower them just to allow females to enter, I see nothing wrong with it. I will say that whenever this does happen, the females that start it had better not get pregnant while deployed or preparing to deploy because then that will just prove those against it right. Like others said there are already females getting attached to infantry and other combat arms units and holding their own, another example being those females in the Marines and Army attached to combat arms units to be female engagement teams. All sorts of women go outside the wire now anyway.
[MOD CUT] .

Ah, but here is the thing- physical standards for women in the military are already lower than it is for males, and can be in some cases quite a bit lower. I've met several ROTC girls that can do just as well, if not better than, a male at PT.. but most girls I met would have a hard time with some of the other things in infantry. Ridiculously heavy packs and gear plus the possibility of having to carry a wounded soldier come into play, but once again.. watch "G.I. Jane."

Once again, I am fully in favor of allowing women to fight as long as they meet the physical requirements and the requirements of an Infantry/MP soldier (because sometimes MP units DO get deployed in "hot" areas and get shot at..)

Last edited by Ibginnie; 01-16-2011 at 03:56 PM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 01-14-2011, 07:20 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,539,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
They need to look at each MOS rather than blanket rules

They've already done that and about the only MOS's currently denied to women are in the combat arms, specifically the Infantry, Armor and Artillery.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:22 AM

175 posts, read 302,606 times
JordanJP, right so what I meant by what I said was that if this happens, the females who do it will have to prove that they can meet the same standards and perform the same duties in the role as males. I've known males who have been reclassed to a different job because they couldn't handle the physical (or other) aspect of the job, same would be for females. Not every female could handle it, but those that can should have the chance.

As for the same haircut, I don't think that's necessary provided the female can make sure it doesn't get in the way. Plenty of women's hair is covered up by their kevlars anyway out there.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:36 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,949,873 times
As a former 11B I would only say yes BUT only if the female can do everything a man can, that includes passing the PT test using the mans version of the exercises and going through AIT without any consideration for her gender. I can tell you very few females could do it and I would not want one in my unit unless she could, combat does not allow for gender. I do not want one of my men dieing because he felt the need to protect a member of our platoon that could not hold their own. In todays world the lines are blurred when it comes to front lines and yes women do often get drawn into a combat situation, and they do a good job at handling it for the most part, but believe me it is a different animal when one is actually going in to clear out an enemy stronghold as the aggressor and getting hit by an IUD or an ambush with a few guys throwing a few rounds your way.
So I say yes, but with conditions. Oh, just a thought most women would not want to spend too much time around grunts, we can be a rough and crude lot, it goes with the job, because after all is said and done the job of the infantry is to Kill People, think long and hard before your join the best.
Casper

Old 01-14-2011, 07:38 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,880,765 times
If women can indeed handle it,why is there differing physical training standards?

As to haircut and appearance,to be equal means you aren't treated worse,OR better.
SO the same standards across the board for all.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:42 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,539,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
As a former 11B I would only say yes BUT only if the female can do everything a man can, that includes passing the PT test using the mans version of the exercises and going through AIT without any consideration for her gender. I can tell you very few females could do it and I would not want one in my unit unless she could, combat does not allow for gender. I do not want one of my men dieing because he felt the need to protect a member of our platoon that could not hold their own. In todays world the lines are blurred when it comes to front lines and yes women do often get drawn into a combat situation, and they do a good job at handling it for the most part, but believe me it is a different animal when one is actually going in to clear out an enemy stronghold as the aggressor and getting hit by an IUD or an ambush with a few guys throwing a few rounds your way.
So I say yes, but with conditions. Oh, just a thought most women would not want to spend too much time around grunts, we can be a rough and crude lot, it goes with the job, because after all is said and done the job of the infantry is to Kill People, think long and hard before your join the best.
Casper

When did the Army start having separate PT tests for men and women?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies