Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 06:56 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,471,061 times

Advertisements

I remember a long time ago a Brazilian asked a question of Americans online, "What is it with you Americans and this 'interracial marriage' thing?"

What he meant was that why do we place so heavy an emphasis on the uniqueness of people of two different phenotypes dating and/or marrying each other?

In my younger years I used to subscribe to a number of views I no longer do. I used to subscribe to views hinted at and promoted subtlety in this video that black males should date and marry black females (I used to be a male feminist too). Irrespective of the fact I'm a product of an interracial marriage.

But I noticed somethings related to race and marriage that was going on in the U.S. and not seemingly going on in Brazil. The Brazilians have a lot of poverty among its darker skinned people but none of this "black men ought marry black women" kind of thing. Or vise versa. And Brazilian media to my knowledge was not and has not put out news stories like this by its white owned media.

Over time I began to awaken from the "Matrix."

While the U.S. seems to have a long history of pitting black women against black men, there was an apparent solution to these black women's problems. Simply marry non-black men. And in Brazil they would seem to do this with no problem. But in the U.S. this seems to be a huge thing.

3-6 million US black women can't find a husband or boyfriend - YouTube

How should these women--or women like them--resolve their dilemma?

(and contrary to what U.S. media reports like this depict not every black woman is walking around with a J.D. and M.D.--if you take UW-Milwaukee most the blacks there are females, but they are still only few in number)

Old 06-11-2013, 07:06 PM

523 posts, read 840,053 times
I think over 40% of all women in the US has never been married, so not sure this has anything to do with race. I think more and more women are choosing not to get married.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:34 PM

1,755 posts, read 2,996,586 times
I mean...it really isn't that big of a deal but I think the complexions tend to stand out, particularly with people of dark skin, so people notice it more. But I don't think it's that big a deal. It's just...idk it's the same thing as white skin dating white skin and dark skin dating dark skin, etc. It's just whatever. You find someone you like being with and you keep it going.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:40 PM

582 posts, read 1,118,550 times
Someone on here once posted: Marriage is like a garage sale – everything looks great from a distance, but up close you realize it's just a bunch of sh*t you don't need .

That always makes me laugh... what were we talking about ?

Old 06-11-2013, 08:37 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,239,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
I remember a long time ago a Brazilian asked a question of Americans online, "What is it with you Americans and this 'interracial marriage' thing?"

What he meant was that why do we place so heavy an emphasis on the uniqueness of people of two different phenotypes dating and/or marrying each other?

In my younger years I used to subscribe to a number of views I no longer do. I used to subscribe to views hinted at and promoted subtlety in this video that black males should date and marry black females (I used to be a male feminist too). Irrespective of the fact I'm a product of an interracial marriage.

But I noticed somethings related to race and marriage that was going on in the U.S. and not seemingly going on in Brazil. The Brazilians have a lot of poverty among its darker skinned people but none of this "black men ought marry black women" kind of thing. Or vise versa. And Brazilian media to my knowledge was not and has not put out news stories like this by its white owned media.

While the U.S. seems to have a long history of pitting black women against black men, there was an apparent solution to these black women's problems. Simply marry non-black men. And in Brazil they would seem to do this with no problem. But in the U.S. this seems to be a huge thing.

(and contrary to what U.S. media reports like this depict not every black woman is walking around with a J.D. and M.D.--if you take UW-Milwaukee most the blacks there are females, but they are still only few in number)
One solution would be to stop commenting and opining endlessly about it online.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogluvr2013 View Post
I think over 40% of all women in the US has never been married, so not sure this has anything to do with race. I think more and more women are choosing not to get married.
Yeah, but you don't seem to hear news reports from Brazil on things like: "Black Brazilian Women Can't Find Black Brazilian Men Worthy to Marry and are Forced to Never Marry."

But rather, from my understanding, brown and black Brazilian women tend to have a preference for white Brazilian men. In other words... the "unworthiness" of black men is not even news worthy nor is it regarded as something to prevent brown and black Brazilian women from marrying.

Almost all Black-American women seem to marry once they pass age 40 or something. Something like that. But I'm not sure if most of those are interracial marriages or not.

I'm very pro-interracial marriage for Black-American women like these wanting to get married. If they don't want to get married I'm pro-don't-get-married for them then. Whatever they want. They want a billionaire get a billionaire. They want a tall man get a tall man. But if they want any of those things, or just a black man that earns $60,000 a year, but can't seem to find one, the resolution to me seems to be to either marry one of the white, Asian, or non-black men fitting their criteria, or don't get married and be at peace.

The nail thing.

It's Not About The Nail - YouTube

For the U.S. white owned media I think this is more than just an issue about the nail though.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:45 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,525,235 times
And here we go with yet another romantic lives of Black women, race bait thread with the obligatory clip that seems to come permanently attached to ALL BW dating/marriage race bait threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post

3-6 million US black women can't find a husband or boyfriend - YouTube

Old 06-11-2013, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
And here we go with yet another romantic lives of Black women, race bait thread with the obligatory clip that seems to come permanently attached to ALL BW dating/marriage race bait threads.
It's an actual U.S. news story that aired on a major national news show. That was not my doing. The better question is why does a major U.S. news program deem the subject national news?

And I'm a product of black/white interracial marriage. Meaning, I'm mixed-race. Like Halle Berry. Or Obama. I'm aware such marriages can endure. Which was kind of my point. Why don't said women like the one's in this national news story simply date and marry a non-black man that fits all their other criteria?

And non-black does not have to mean "white." It of course includes "white" along with any other race like Asian.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:05 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,525,235 times
The power of Black love must really scare some people....

Old 06-11-2013, 11:20 PM

@ post #9:

Maybe whoever is behind the ABC News report that chose this as national news. But not me. I have no problem with those images or intraracial marriages between two ethnic Black-Americans.

Nota bene: I'm not Einstein nor a journalist nor a journalist major. But I have taken a one semester journalism class that taught a few basics about journalism. One of which was learning to understand what is "news" as opposed to what is not "news." And learning that it's editors that decide ultimately what will make "news" between submitted stories for "news."

My point being here that this ABC News story was not accidental. Especially by a major news program airing in the United States. It was intelligently selected and for a purpose. Journalist are after all The 4th Estate.

The question as to why romantic perception differs so greatly between two continental size nations with similar racial and immigrant history remains. Even putting the powers behind ABC News aside.

Even the money question related to marriage is interesting. Because I thought about the sprawling abject poverty dark skinned Brazilian women often live in beside dark skinned Brazilian men? Yet the concept that those dark women should not marry those dark skinned men is alien. The concept that attractive, popular, successful black/brown Brazilian women should not date or marry better off white Brazilian men is alien. Not to say all is racially harmonious in Brazil and that whites and blacks marry each other frequently. It's just to say that the strong "should not" does not seem to exist there.

1. BRAZIL

2. Afro-Brazilian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mod cut: Copyrighted photo.

The smiling young woman's profile says this:
Quote:
Araújo, who is of mixed African, Austrian and Portuguese descent, said that the skin color variation found in her family never called her attention, even though she claimed that she used to be the only black girl at her upper-class school and that the people who looked like her there were only the ones "who cleaned the floor, the servants"
I don't see Black-American poor living in the sprawling squalor you see in Brazil. And Araujo's background seems to indicate there are a lot of impoverished brown and black Brazilian girls and boys she figuratively flew above in academic, professional, and financial success. But why no Brazilian news stories suggesting there are no good brown or black Brazilian men to marry for women of Araujo's complexion or darker? Why do the dark Brazilian women not offer this same complaint in light of all the sprawling poverty?

I'm not telling anyone how to marry or who to marry. I just find perception interesting.

Kind of like in the U.S. among many liberals, if a Black-American man of some professional and financial success marries a white woman (rather than black woman) he is bad and a "sell out." However, if he is gay and marries a white man those same people would not just be applauding but talking about how good a man he is.

It's still a question of the nail in the forehead in my opinion. How does one bring resolution to their own dilemma? Listen to ABC News? Limit one's self to their own racial group? Make the money the most important factor?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-16-2013 at 07:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies