Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 04:28 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
.....Most working class folks can't afford to save anything, not if they want to pay their bills and eat once a day.

Because they choose to spend and not save.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 04:32 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
Right on! I might add that poor are also those who have to travel 10,000 miles to some rat hole in the world and fight the wars of choice declared by those who know their offspring will never have to go.

There are a lot of reasons why some people are poor. Sometimes it's not their fault (accidents, born with disabilities, etc), and sometimes it's because they are lazy or criminals.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:41 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,561,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
There are a lot of reasons why some people are poor. Sometimes it's not their fault (accidents, born with disabilities, etc), and sometimes it's because they are lazy or criminals.
I can tell you a few things about being poor. I can tell you about being hungry. I don't mean needing an extra sandwich before dinner...I mean bean and rice hungry. I started in west Tennessee on a dirt farm in the 1930's. Once my dad had a job unloading skids in a box factory, ruptured himself lifting and the second or third day he missed they fired him. There were ten men waiting for every job which came open. Unemployment in that area reached 50% and the ones who had something were lucky if they made a dollar a day. Most people were working for $0.75 a day and their lunch...called dinner there.

There was no such thing as a union. There was no hospitalization, no time off for personal, vacation, illness etc. If one worked they were paid. If they didn't they weren't. It was before labor unions. Before social security. Before pensions. Before anything except back breaking, ball straining labor. Hard Labor. I've seen men cry because they were unable to feed their kids or get help for one who was sick. A significant portion of old people ended up on county poor farms, called "The Poor House."

People today take way too much for granted. During the depression the only consolation most people had was that it seemed like everybody else was struggling the same way. Being poor isn't nearly as bad if everybody around you is in the same boat.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:15 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,374,204 times

Old 01-20-2011, 06:43 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
I can tell you a few things about being poor. I can tell you about being hungry. I don't mean needing an extra sandwich before dinner...I mean bean and rice hungry. I started in west Tennessee on a dirt farm in the 1930's. Once my dad had a job unloading skids in a box factory, ruptured himself lifting and the second or third day he missed they fired him. There were ten men waiting for every job which came open. Unemployment in that area reached 50% and the ones who had something were lucky if they made a dollar a day. Most people were working for $0.75 a day and their lunch...called dinner there.

There was no such thing as a union. There was no hospitalization, no time off for personal, vacation, illness etc. If one worked they were paid. If they didn't they weren't. It was before labor unions. Before social security. Before pensions. Before anything except back breaking, ball straining labor. Hard Labor. I've seen men cry because they were unable to feed their kids or get help for one who was sick. A significant portion of old people ended up on county poor farms, called "The Poor House."

People today take way too much for granted. During the depression the only consolation most people had was that it seemed like everybody else was struggling the same way. Being poor isn't nearly as bad if everybody around you is in the same boat.
Great post!!!

I was one of the last people I know that got cable or, a computer.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:11 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times

Wealthy: You have way more than me.

Rich: You have more than me.

Middle Class: You have what I have.

Working Class: You have less than me.

Poor: You have way less than me.

[what you have is another matter]

Old 01-21-2011, 12:15 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:

You can't save when you're making minimum wage.

You can pay your bills though.

Old 01-21-2011, 04:46 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Savings are possible when you earn enough to do so, after addressing the minimum necessities. A typical household in America has averaged about $50K, inflation adjusted, in income since 2000 (the last peak... it has been down since). The expenses have gone up. Clearly, savings, if there were any to begin with ten years ago, have to have suffered. This also assumes that the household has managed to be sponsored by employer for health insurance (that cost has more than doubled since, to about $15K).

So, it is not always choosing between spend and saving. Sometimes it is about whether you can afford to. Having said that, I like many of the definitions provided, including yours.

"EVERY man is rich or poor according to the degree in which he can afford to enjoy the necessaries, conveniences, and amusements of human life."
- Adam Smith, The Wealth of Nations (Book I, chapter 5)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies