Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 10:34 AM

46,973 posts, read 26,018,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by liebknecht View Post
You Americans should eat more fresh food then. It's not only healthier, it also tastes better, don't you think?
Don't fall for the stereotypes. The cuisine here in California is as good as any I've had. And there's a thriving business in healthy-and-convenient food, too - look up places like Trader Joe's and Whole Foods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 10:35 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,539,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Ohh no, I have no problem with people doing what they want. I do, however, have a problem paying for the end-costs of their crappy lifestyle. Costs of obesity are higher then smokers.
See my post #21.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:40 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,476,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
See my post #21.
Which is incorrect.

Obesity affest diabetes, heart, vascular, lungs, and general well being. Those costs are huge. Most of the patients I have that require extended care are obese, usually on medicare/medicaid because they are so large they cannot perform everyday activities. If you say that it does not affect costs of care I would say to go visit a medical ICU or talk with people who work there.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:42 AM

46,973 posts, read 26,018,521 times
Quote:
In other words, that whole position is predicted upon obesity being a "crisis" which must be fixed (and corn sweetner a contributor to that problem) and relying upon government to fix it...a basically liberal idea which short-sheet's personal responsibility in exchange for government intrusion into our personal choices.
If the status quo - the Corn Lobby grabbing tax funds to support their constituents and give corn (and corn products) an advantage in the market isn't government intrusion, then removing the subsidies won't be, either.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Which is incorrect.

Obesity affest diabetes, heart, vascular, lungs, and general well being. Those costs are huge. Most of the patients I have that require extended care are obese, usually on medicare/medicaid because they are so large they cannot perform everyday activities. If you say that it does not affect costs of care I would say to go visit a medical ICU or talk with people who work there.

Everything we do ultimately results in the expenditure of health care dollars if we live long enough simply because we can't avoid growing old. Age really does make a difference, you know? And, we all will grow old no matter if we eat right, exercise or do any of the other "right" things. In point of fact, if all that stuff really does work to lengthen and improve life, more people would actually live longer and cost us more!

In any case, how much have you gained financially from applying the same principles of behavior modification on smokers? How much have you been refunded on your taxes? How much have your insurance or personal health care expenses gone down? What have you gained for the trade off of personal liberty versus intrusive government regulation?

Old 01-17-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
If the status quo - the Corn Lobby grabbing tax funds to support their constituents and give corn (and corn products) an advantage in the market isn't government intrusion, then removing the subsidies won't be, either.
I suppose that's true, but eliminating the subsidies won't save you any more than the cost of the subsidies.

Of course, the "savings" would just be shifted to spending on something else, so the net gain would be zero.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:02 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,476,618 times
Quote:
I suppose that's true, but eliminating the subsidies won't save you any more than the cost of the subsidies.

Of course, the "savings" would just be shifted to spending on something else, so the net gain would be zero.
Taxes aren't a zero-sum game. Taxes could be lowered, or shifted to those who use them.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:04 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,112,372 times
64oz drink? That's only at 7-11 (aka the "Big Gulp"). The largest size soda offered by any fast food chain is the 32oz. Some do have larger sizes (ex. Taco Bell has a 40oz extra large but it is not advertised or listed on the menu and you have to ask for it).

Old 01-17-2011, 11:57 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,060,763 times
People can eat whatever they want to eat, and they will pay for it. So does everyone else in health costs.

Some people oppose scientific testing, labeling of what is in restaurant food (one here has a 6,000 calorie meal), de-fund agencies that regulate food safety...then people refuse to follow recommendations if they don't want to get fat.

Personally I take care of myself. If people want to eat an entire half a fried chicken and a waffle for breakfast each day while ranting against the fascists trying to tell them what to eat, more power to them. I'm tired of even caring what other people do to themselves in their idiocy or willful ignorance.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:10 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,398,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liebknecht View Post
You Americans should eat more fresh food then. It's not only healthier, it also tastes better, don't you think?
Agreed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies