Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 08:39 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Isn't that what I just said?...The only purpose of a gun registry is to make guns traceable.
Do criminals register their guns in Canada?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 08:43 AM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
So there's no point in doing it whatsoever. If it's stolen, you'll be providing the serial number when you file the police report anyway, so registration is completely pointless - unless you think the government should have a list of every gun owned and who owns them, and if you think that, I'd like to know why. You already stated that registration doesn't reduce crime.

Canada's registration scheme costs your country $100,000,000 a year, and does nothing. Considering your statement above, I would think that you'd be calling for the abolition of that expensive boondoggle.
Regarding supplying the police with a serial number if, say one of my guns were stolen....I had no idea what those numbers were and didn't record them. The only gun I owned that was registered was a Smith and Wesson 22 target semi auto target model hand gun.

As for your second point, I agree that it's a total waste of money to register long guns, which is what they are trying to do....People here are just refusing to comply, so the deadline keeps being postponed. It is nothing more than a political football and the taxpayers are footing the bill...For what? So far nothing.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:45 AM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Do criminals register their guns in Canada?
You do come up with the stupidest questions...Of course they do.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:48 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,579,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
With that bloke who shot all those people seemingly mentally ill I wondered if many Americans were now in favor of would be firearm owners having to take a test, background check, check that your wife/husband is happy for you to have a firearm in the house.
With us it is not the Crimes we worry about but the mentally ill.

Or, do you prefer the mentally ill to keep their second amendment rights ?
No matter the risk
Big question ???? Just how do you plan on getting gang members to follow any form of registering their guns? More of them out there killing them mentally ill I would think.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:54 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times
Quote:
You do come up with the stupidest questions...Of course they do.
I guess not then...so you register your legal firearms so they can be traced if stolen....

Which could also be accomplished by simply writing down the serial number of the gun and keeping a record.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:59 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sights_Set View Post
I would like to add to this thread that when the government wants to license or regulate speech, religion, assembly, right to bear arms etc it shows that our government now believes that activity is a privilege to people from government and not an unalienable right granted to people from God.

(apologies if anyone already stated that, no time to read all the pages)

We had in more or less these words.... Hearing a 2nd to the motion is assuring.... No harm done, no foul.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Not true....There are many countries with gun control and as far as I know the only guns confiscated are from criminals...

Just to add a bit of levity to a serious subject.

The Darwin Award has been given to these winners..

1. When his 38 caliber revolver failed to fire at his intended victim during a hold-up in Long Beach , California would-be robber James Elliot did something that can only inspire wonder. He peered down the barrel and tried the trigger again. This time it worked.

3. A man who shovelled snow for an hour to clear a space for his car during a blizzard in Chicago returned with his vehicle to find a woman had taken the space. Understandably, he shot her.

6. A man walked into a Louisiana Circle-K, put a $20 bill on the counter, and asked for change. When the clerk opened the cash drawer, the man pulled a gun and asked for all the cash in the register, which the clerk promptly provided. The man took the cash from the clerk and fled, leaving the $20 bill on the counter. The total amount of cash he got from the drawer... $15. [If someone points a gun at you and gives you money, is a crime committed?]

9. The Ann Arbor News crime column reported that a man walked into a Burger King in Ypsilanti , Michigan at 5 A.M., flashed a gun, and demanded cash. The clerk turned him down because he said he couldn't open the cash register without a food order. When the man ordered onion rings, the clerk said they weren't available for breakfast... The man, frustrated, walked away. [*A 5-STAR STUPIDITY AWARD WINNER]

Last but not least, and no guns involved....
10. When a man attempted to siphon gasoline from a motor home parked on a Seattle street, he got much more than he bargained for.. Police arrived at the scene to find a very sick man curled up next to a motor home near spilled sewage. A police spokesman said that the man admitted to trying to steal gasoline, but he plugged his siphon hose into the motor home's sewage tank by mistake. The owner of the vehicle declined to press charges saying that it was the best laugh he'd ever had.
"
1. When his 38 caliber revolver failed to fire at his intended victim during a hold-up in Long Beach , California would-be robber James Elliot did something that can only inspire wonder. He peered down the barrel and tried the trigger again. This time it worked. "

Wonderful news! Why can't this happen to more criminals?

So far as Registration, No, No way No How, ain't happinin' period. Dream on...

'We' know how that works.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:08 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
I had no idea what those numbers were and didn't record them.
Really!? I submit that you're far too irresponsible to own a firearm. If you're not even familiar enough with one that you own to know what each marking on it means, then how can we expect you to be familiar enough with it to use it safely?

Quote:
As for your second point, I agree that it's a total waste of money to register long guns
I was talking about your handgun registry. Three out of four handguns recovered in murder investigations aren't even registered (it's been mandatory since the '30s), and having that fourth handgun registered didn't stop someone from using it to kill, right?

Your handgun registry is the hundred million dollar per year boondoggle I was talking about.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Really!? I submit that you're far too irresponsible to own a firearm. If you're not even familiar enough with one that you own to know what each marking on it means, then how can we expect you to be familiar enough with it to use it safely?

I was talking about your handgun registry. Three out of four handguns recovered in murder investigations aren't even registered (it's been mandatory since the '30s), and having that fourth handgun registered didn't stop someone from using it to kill, right?

Your handgun registry is the hundred million dollar per year boondoggle I was talking about.

Geeze he lives in Canada and has unregistered guns? Then tells us gun regi works...... That's a riot and he's a criminal. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies