Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is sexual preferance a choice?
Yes 47 18.58%
No 193 76.28%
Not sure 11 4.35%
Yes 2 0.79%
Voters: 253. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 01:19 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
So, you don't have any problem with Calvinist using that example? May I recommend you to revisit "the point"?

Holy crap! What about my posts would lead you to believe that I do NOT have a problem with Calvinist using that example?!?!?!?!?!

I have said in no uncertain terms that his example is completely disconnected from sexual orientation and proves nothing of his heterosexuality or homosexuality.

Have you even been reading my posts you've been quoting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 01:22 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Such childish obstinateness. This discussion is about sexual orentation, not sexual behavior. If you don't understand the distinction, perhaps you should sit this one out.

Are you willing to give the same consideration to an alcoholic that just can't stay away from the bottle? We know that children of alcoholics tend to have higher rates of alcoholism, so it would appear to be a genetic and/or mental issue. Why do we give one deviant behavior a pass but not the other?

That's somewhat bigoted, don't you think? What gives you the right to impose your morals on me?

Old 01-19-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
So, oral sex between a husband and wife is sodomy? Sex between a husband and wife just for fun is sodomy? And since sodomy = sin and since I am not sorry and willing to repent for the sin I am going to Hell? We are ALL doomed. Dang it and I thought was doing so well
Casper

Dictionary.com says so, yes:

sod·om·y

   /ˈsɒdəmi/ Show Spelled[sod-uh-mee] Show IPA
–noun 1. anal or oral copulation with a member of the opposite sex.
2. copulation with a member of the same sex.
3. bestiality ( def. 4 ) .

Old 01-19-2011, 01:23 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Holy crap! What about my posts would lead you to believe that I do NOT have a problem with Calvinist using that example?!?!?!?!?!

I have said in no uncertain terms that his example is completely disconnected from sexual orientation and proves nothing of his heterosexuality or homosexuality.

Have you even been reading my posts you've been quoting?
What was "the point" as you perceived it? Let us start there.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
What was "the point" as you perceived it? Let us start there.

OK. The thread title is: "Is sexual 'preferance' a choice?".

Calvinist has posted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
...Every time you are intimate with another person you "make the choice".
Quote:
I make the choice daily when I kiss my wife goodbye.
I can only interpret that to mean that he believes that his actions represent a choice to be heterosexual. Which is absolute crap. Again, a life-long celibate still has sexual orientation, regardless of whether or not it has been acted upon.

You replied that his "point would still stand", with regards to the 2nd quote above. Let me ask you - what did YOU mean by that?

Old 01-19-2011, 01:35 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,554,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Homosexuality is both a choice and a mental illness. At least that's what I learned at my evangelical Christian church.
Request:
If you do not mind present the supporting information from the church that validates your claim, thanks. Take care.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:35 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Every time you are intimate with another person you "make the choice".
Sexual activity is different from sexual orientation. Sexual attraction just happens. We can try to suppress it, and we can choose to not act on our desires, but that doesn't make our desires and attractions go away.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:37 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
Glad to see the poll played out as it did. At first I was going to put "not sure," since as a nongay person, I have no idea other than I have always been the same. Upon reflection, my impression of it is that a number of my friends, aquaintances that turned out to be gay were always gay in some fashion of just seeming a bit different growing up. In fact, my youth pastor was a single woman who several men proposed to, but never could seem to find one she liked now lives with her female partner in Switzerland. I am happy for her. But I think she is sad to have had to move abroad to be an openly gay woman and a Christian leader. I admire her on both fronts. I really do think you should be true to who you are, I think that to do otherwise is a recipe for unhappiness. For dudes, I know that I have always respected the real flamers most. I loved Eddy Mercury, and I still love Little Richard. I cannot imagine either one was ever nongay. They both had/have a zest for life.

All this said, I agree with artsyguy. Does it really matter how people came to be themselves, if they are decent and happy?

Old 01-19-2011, 01:39 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Are you willing to give the same consideration to an alcoholic that just can't stay away from the bottle? We know that children of alcoholics tend to have higher rates of alcoholism, so it would appear to be a genetic and/or mental issue. Why do we give one deviant behavior a pass but not the other?

That's somewhat bigoted, don't you think? What gives you the right to impose your morals on me?
I'm not quite understanding your point. I don't find your analogy to be analogous.

I'll agree with you - alcoholism is not a choice. Alcoholism is a compulsive, addictive disorder. It's a disease that if untreated will severely injured and eventually kill the afflicted. Alcoholism is objectively bad. It can, however, be treated and cured.

Homosexuality (or sexuality in general) is not a choice. It's an inherent characteristic of human beings. Homosexuality is not a disease. It's not deviant. It's not a mental issue. It's not treatable. It doesn't injury, harm, or kill the afflicted homosexual. It's simply a natural and normal variant of human.

The only analogy I see between the two is this: Choosing to having a drink does not make one an alcoholic in the same way choosing to have sex with a women would not make me heterosexual (I'm a gay man). Anyone of any sexuality can choose to have sex with any other consenting person. That choice is usually rooted in ones inherent sexuality, but it in no way determines it. The cart doesn't pull the horse.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:43 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
OK. The thread title is: "Is sexual 'preferance' a choice?".

Calvinist has posted:

I can only interpret that to mean that he believes that his actions represent a choice to be heterosexual. Which is absolute crap. Again, a life-long celibate still has sexual orientation, regardless of whether or not it has been acted upon.

You replied that his "point would still stand", with regards to the 2nd quote above. Let me ask you - what did YOU mean by that?
Then I can safely assume you never read his/her response to my question. So, you have no clue about "the point". May I advise, again, to go back and re-read then talk about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies