Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 06:12 PM

499 posts, read 406,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Maryland: Middle-school girls basketball league changes safety rules to allow hijab - Jihad Watch

They said they waived the safety rule when the parents said they would accept responsibility if something happened to their daughter. That SOUNDS good at first but you can bet that if something DID happen they would be quick to sue the school system. Also, what kind of parents are more concerned about making their kid wear a hijab than about the potential of a serious neck injury (the hijab wraps completely around the neck)?
If they chose to waive the safety rule I don't see the grounds for a law suit.
I doubt if they were a serious choke risk people would have decided to do this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 06:34 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,747,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
No, I don't know anything about Islam. What would happen if they were to take it off for one hour?
Muslim women cover themselves in front of men who are not blood relatives to prevent impure thoughts and acts. To force them to expose themselves against their will in front of a gymnasium full of people is just a fundamental violation of their religious tenants.

You know typing comes in black now, right?

Old 01-19-2011, 06:36 PM

31,384 posts, read 37,171,696 times
How does a head scarf differ from long braids?

Jus askin

Old 01-19-2011, 06:37 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,969,372 times
Funny you would criticize my typeface preference but be so adamant about your clothing - sports attire preference.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:43 PM

59,582 posts, read 27,711,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Too religiously tolerant for you?
No, too damn liberal.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:47 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,969,372 times
Also, too bad the men can't control their own "impure thoughts" and that it wasn't left up to girls and women . . . excuse me for saying that from my perspective, this is very sad. Girls/women are punished for the thoughts of males . . .why do people ascribe to this kinds of ideas . . . these dogmas?

Old 01-19-2011, 06:49 PM

59,582 posts, read 27,711,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Are those rules in effect in this particular school district?

Also - how come I never see outrage over Christian nuns covered from head to toe on here? I just don't understand the hypocrisy. Makes it hard to believe it's anything more than bigotry.
I don't know. that is why I said "some".

As I read the article nobody is complaing about the weraing in normal everyday life but, playing basketball. Gimme a break. I just don't think it is the place for such garments.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:00 PM

13,620 posts, read 12,771,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post

As I read the article nobody is complaing about the weraing in normal everyday life but, playing basketball. Gimme a break. I just don't think it is the place for such garments.

well at least one good thing will come out of it,, the burka team will always lose

i wonder if the burka swim team could ever win a meet

Old 01-19-2011, 07:21 PM

31,384 posts, read 37,171,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
well at least one good thing will come out of it,, the burka team will always lose

i wonder if the burka swim team could ever win a meet
Ah, this isn't about burkas, its about a head scarf. But don't let facts stand in the way of a good rant.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:26 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,747,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post

Do you realize you're forcing your beliefs on people in a way that undermines the core reason they wear them in the first place? I grew in a very religiously diverse environment, so perhaps I don't have this "my way or the highway" view that seems so prevalent on here from people raised in a much more isolated, homogenous culture that didn't expose them to different worldviews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies