Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 02:08 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,180,483 times

Advertisements

What does a progressive actually believe in? I would say "anything that is trendy, makes you feel good, live for the moment, forget the results". That is the history of the progressive movement. Look at Hillary's statement "What does it matter if four people got murdered...move on"....LBJ's failed Great Society programs....trillions wasted...move on....Obama's failed stimulus program...move on....make drugs illegal....despite the huge problem with drug abuse of legal drugs...move on....massive violence in video games, movies....who cares....move on....

What is so great about self-destruction through "feel good" ideas, programs that have failed, continue to fail but the answer is "move on"....

Old 02-28-2013, 05:52 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibelian View Post
Houston is far far far from being conservative. It's more like the San Francisco of Texas (with guns). To begin with, we have an openly lesbian mayor. The city votes Democrat by a large margin. And it has a very vibrant cultural life. I find the live-and-let-live attitude here to be much more "real" and pervasive than other places I've lived, like Seattle. I've never had a problem here being openly gay, by, for instance, showing affection to my partner in public.

Now, Dallas is a whole other matter. It's very close to Oklahoma, and much more conservative than Houston. Which is why I avoid Dallas at all costs.

I call BS. Austin has the SF, on the 3rd coast locked up. Houston runs a close second.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:50 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,633,109 times
Who says that anyone in a "conservative" city wants it to be like a liberal/progressive city. My, that is a terribly high-minded assumption of the liberal/progressives isn't it?

Old 03-01-2013, 12:11 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,920,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
Who says that anyone in a "conservative" city wants it to be like a liberal/progressive city. My, that is a terribly high-minded assumption of the liberal/progressives isn't it?
Some people just like to live in diverse, vibrant cities with a focus on research and education and the environment.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:38 PM

510 posts, read 889,442 times
I can't think of any conservative cities. Compared to the countryside, all cities appear liberal. I haven't seen much difference between cities--NYC, San Diego, Charleston, Houston, Albuquerque, Chicago, Seattle....really not much difference.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:51 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,259,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforest338 View Post
I can't think of any conservative cities. Compared to the countryside, all cities appear liberal. I haven't seen much difference between cities--NYC, San Diego, Charleston, Houston, Albuquerque, Chicago, Seattle....really not much difference.
Oklahoma City, Phoenix, Tulsa, Jacksonville, and I think Salt Lake City were all in counties that voted red. None of those places are anything close to being "cool."

There is also Orange County, CA which is by far as cool as it gets for a right-leaning urban area.

Old 03-01-2013, 03:40 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,790,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
You got Houston, Dalla, and San Antonio from texas, they have populations over one million.

Many of the vocal politicians from there are conservatives.
If you look at the electoral map, Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Austin, and El Paso are all blue. As with many of the red states, the large urban areas are often blue, with the rural areas in red.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies