Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should transgender people be allowed to join the U.S. Military?
Yes 33 39.76%
No 44 53.01%
Not sure 6 7.23%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 08:14 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,534,992 times

Advertisements

No one has answered my question: Currently are transexual and/or transgender people not allowed to serve in the military?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 08:18 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,924,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Yes, but do you think they should be allowed to dress in the opposite sexes uniform? That for me is the kicker.

I have no doubt that some transgendered folks would want to dress in the opposite sexes uniform, and that at best is distracting from the situation at hand.

I'm all for gay people or transgendered people serving, but what you do in the uniform is one thing, what you do on your own time is another.
Whatever sex you are you should wear that uniform. When someone gets a sex change, they are legally and officially a new gender. And they would wear that new gender's uniform.
The process involved in changing genders is not an overnight or simple surgical procedure. I don't think someone "in the process" is mentally capable of being in the armed forces.. but someone completely done with the process, yes, they are now officially, medically, and socially the new gender

Old 01-29-2011, 08:28 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,534,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
ANYONE should be able to serve their country, Serving in the armed forces isn't the only way you can serve your country, A criminal serves their country through community service that is given to them by the courts..
So I stand by what I said,. . .
. This begs the question, where do you draw your lines on who is acceptable in the armed forces then? I mean if transgendered people aren't acceptable by YOUR standards.. WHY??? YOU are in the position to say why, not just use OTHER examples. When you do that it makes you sound like you are comparing the two.
So.... WHY WOULD YOU SAY NO TO TRANSGENDERED PEOPLE SERVING IN THE ARMED FORCES??? I'd love to hear your reasoning
Again. Wow. I was simply ASKING you a question. Once again, you stated emperically, ANYONE should be able to serve their country. PERIOD. Direct quote from you.

I simply noted that if you accept anyone (which BTW includes criminals, frail, mentally ill) then our military would be quite weak. You implied that serving ones country was a basic right. Now you have changed your tune. I never stated or implied that transgenders were like criminals. That was where you took the huge leap-and for reasons I think we all understand.

I have asked whether currently transexual/gender people are excluded from serving? No one has answered.

I personally don't understand why a male who has gone to great lengths to change to a female would want to join the military. If they are transgender I think they probably have some psychological baggage they are dealing with and would probably not be the best candidate for military service.
But if the person is psychologically sound, fit, and can pass all the stingent requirements I would assume they could serve.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:37 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,924,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Again. Wow. I was simply ASKING you a question. Once again, you stated emperically, ANYONE should be able to serve their country. PERIOD. Direct quote from you.

I simply noted that if you accept anyone (which BTW includes criminals, frail, mentally ill) then our military would be quite weak. You implied that serving ones country was a basic right. Now you have changed your tune. I never stated or implied that transgenders were like criminals. That was where you took the huge leap-and for reasons I think we all understand.

I have asked whether currently transexual/gender people are excluded from serving? No one has answered.

I personally don't understand why a male who has gone to great lengths to change to a female would want to join the military. If they are transgender I think they probably have some psychological baggage they are dealing with and would probably not be the best candidate for military service.
But if the person is psychologically sound, fit, and can pass all the stingent requirements I would assume they could serve.
You're making this WAY too personal..
I don't change my tune, I stand by what I said in it's context. However you wanted to take it contextually is your position and if you spoke too soon and now feel foolish.. I'm sorry i can't help you.
Whether you understand or not... doesn't matter.. it's if they are sound as anyone else to serve in the military. If the only thing holding them back is being transgendered, then it's wrong. Gender Identity is TOTALLY different to Sexual orientation.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:40 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,418,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
Whatever sex you are you should wear that uniform. When someone gets a sex change, they are legally and officially a new gender. And they would wear that new gender's uniform.
The process involved in changing genders is not an overnight or simple surgical procedure. I don't think someone "in the process" is mentally capable of being in the armed forces.. but someone completely done with the process, yes, they are now officially, medically, and socially the new gender
Many transgender folks don't get sex changes, because they don't have the money.

So a man, who dresses and "feels" like a woman, would be forced to wear mens clothing, which they dislike, and then throw a fit about it.

I've seen some men who have had sex changes where you wouldn't know they used to be a man, and there are others who are easier to pick out in a line up than a career criminal.

I think there is more to the "transgender" problem than homosexuals in the military are.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:43 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,596,809 times
I'm not a doctor or even close but if there's a risk of their surgical zones tearing due to heavy lifting or whatever (not even sure surgical zone is a real term but you all know what I mean without getting crude), then they shouldn't be allowed to join the military - Basic training would be hazardous to them.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:43 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,418,141 times
I think a lot of people have not had the opportunity to watch a gay person or a transgendered person grow up, to know one as a person first. Bigotry is easy in the abstract; it is much harder to pull off when you get down to cases, to the individual level. Some of the posts in this thread betray an ignorance that only personal experience can cure.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:45 PM

32,823 posts, read 19,518,800 times
there is a simple solution

not gays, transes, or females in the military

only UNMARRIED males....period the end

Old 01-29-2011, 08:46 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,075,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I believe some would say that transgenderism occurs naturally. Therefore, it could be argued that it's normal to be transgendered.
Nice try. FAIL.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:52 PM

27 posts, read 49,822 times
Default Transgendered in the military

Let's face it, anyone who enlists in the military knows that there are standards to be adhered to. Uniform standards, competency standards and conduct standards. If one (and I mean anyone; straight or gay) cannot conform to these standards then they should not enlist or if enlisted should be expelled. What people do outside of the military is their business. Although, this is not a military reference, look J.Edgar Hoover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies