Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2011, 06:26 AM

1,324 posts, read 1,200,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Considering how much both Egypt and Israel cont us without any perceptible benefit I suggest losing them will be good for the United States.
Look at a map , see the waterways , see the oil tankers . Try thinking .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 06:26 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,850,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellyouknow View Post
It is a mistake to think that any US president is 'handling' anything in Egypt. It is the people of Egypt that are handling things in Egypt. And the US should just shut up and sit on the sidelines like every other country. It is out of our hands.
I think Obama has also lost Somalia and the Mexican Drug War.

This thread cracks me up. Like, he's responsible for Egypt.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:38 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,855,481 times
I have seen the maps, the waterways and the tankers. The maps are on Google Earth, the waterways are old and outmoded and the tankers don't fit through Suez. Besides most of that oil is not delivered to the US so the closing of the Canal would only damage our current or potential enemies. I see no reason to be involved with either Egypt or Israel.

I reach different conclusions then you but I am neither stupid nor ignorant.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:53 AM

1,324 posts, read 1,200,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I think Obama has also lost Somalia and the Mexican Drug War.

This thread cracks me up. Like, he's responsible for Egypt.
There is that fake election the Egyptions seem to blame him for.
US is responsible for Egypt 's election joke

And the world wide rise in food prices after the QE2 dumping of dollars into the commodities market .
NIA Releases Food Price Estimates For A QE2 World: Bread To $23.05, Corn To $11.43, $62.21 For Sugar | zero hedge

If Obama sides with the protesters ( including the Muslim Brotherhood ) in Egypt , something I think he will do.
Obama Needs Outside Help Handling Egypt Protests - Peter Roff (usnews.com)

If we see an Iran like Dictatorship in Egypt , and they are there ready and waiting , we will yes , blame Obama.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:57 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,262,149 times
The most wonderful thing about the Egyptian crisis is that for the first time in years we're in no position to stick our big American noses in someones business. We've just gotta sit back and take it...and let the cards fall where they may. And furthermore, it's quite refreshing that the American people (except a few narcisstic right-wingers) have ZERO WILL to see our government interfere with this event.

Frankly, i love it. Hopefully we'll keep finding ourselves in this position because i'm tired of playing world cop.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:01 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,722,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The most wonderful thing about the Egyptian crisis is that for the first time in years we're in no position to stick our big American noses in someones business. We've just gotta sit back and take it...and let the cards fall where they may. And furthermore, it's quite refreshing that the American people (except a few narcisstic right-wingers) have ZERO WILL to see our government interfere with this event.

Frankly, i love it. Hopefully we'll keep finding ourselves in this position because i'm tired of playing world cop.
Yes, it is one of the very few times lately when the Repubicans and Dems agree 100% with the current US approach.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:18 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,581,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
"Jimmy Carter will go down in American history as "the president who lost Iran," which during his term went from being a major strategic ally of the United States to being the revolutionary Islamic Republic. Barack Obama will be remembered as the president who "lost" Turkey, Lebanon and Egypt, and during whose tenure America's alliances in the Middle East crumbled. The superficial circumstances are similar. In both cases, a United States in financial crisis and after failed wars loses global influence under a leftist president whose good intentions are interpreted abroad as expressions of weakness. The results are reflected in the fall of regimes that were dependent on their relationship with Washington for survival, or in a change in their orientation, as with Ankara."

Obama will go down in history as the president who lost Egypt - Haaretz Daily Newspaper | Israel News

The article goes on to say that at least Jimmy Carter preached human rights and Obama's predecessor George W Bush made blunt calls for democracy and freedom where as Obama thinks the main problem in the Middle East is Israeli occupation. His failure in that area made him back off and concentrate on preventing Israel and Iran from going to war.

There's a lot more in the article about whether Obama could do anything. To be fair, I heard a few people on Fox News say Obama is handling what's happening in Egypt now, correctly and this article is more about the lead up to what's going on now, in Egypt.
Nothing like quoting a Zionist newspaper! Why didn't Israel save Egypt?Weren't the two nations allies? Why does America always have to save everyone?

Old 02-01-2011, 07:18 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,944,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I have seen the maps, the waterways and the tankers. The maps are on Google Earth, the waterways are old and outmoded and the tankers don't fit through Suez. Besides most of that oil is not delivered to the US so the closing of the Canal would only damage our current or potential enemies. I see no reason to be involved with either Egypt or Israel.

I reach different conclusions then you but I am neither stupid nor ignorant.
8% of world trade and 1.5 million barrels of oil/day go through the Suez canal.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:32 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,722,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I haven't declined anything. I just returned to this thread this morning. I deliberately bolded the part of the quoted article in the original post that has to do with good intentions (Obama) leading to perceived weakness (Middle East). I then, for balance, added my own comment that Fox News analysts were saying they thought the President was handling the unrest correctly. The title of the thread isn't a statement but is a question allowing posters to actually answer yes or no and say "why" without oversensitivity getting in the way and that this is "president bashing."

The way I see it, at the highest level, the debate should be "does talking tough or softly" have an impact on Middle East perceptions of US strength or weakness? I thought that was implied by the font bolding. Maybe I should have been more direct.

At a lower level, the debate should be did Obama play it right or wrong and how will it be viewed historically (if Egypt goes fundamentalist hardcore on Obama's watch). As another poster said, that's what "lost" implies not that Egypt was ours to lose but that Egypt will be lost to fundamentalist craziness (like Iran when the shah left, meaning sometimes you get worse government).

An offshoot could be to take it a step further and be whether Egypt won't be the only middle east country "lost" on Obama's watch and what that would mean for the US.

It's a debate, okay?
You still didn't answer. If he gets the blame for bad outcome, then does he also get credit for good outcome? If talking tough or softly has an effect, then wouldn't it be fair to say that it goes both ways.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:39 AM

912 posts, read 1,333,529 times
America needs to shut up .It is the people of Egypt it's their country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies