Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2011, 05:23 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintblaster View Post
Rural or City - it does not matter.
I can pee off my back deck and the only eyes that will see me belong to the deer - big deal...

It can slip off the shelf.
The hammer can shear the safety if the gun hits the floor at the right(or in this case, wrong) angle.

I don't care if you have 44 cal blackhawks or flintlocks, you practice unsafe gun handling procedures.

Like I suggested before - take a safety refresher course - and try paying attention.
Considering you have not seen my shelf, pray tell how can you determine what can and what can not fall, more so if no one is there to touch a gun in a holster?

I hear ya, but your passing judgement on me and things you can't see.

Wearing that gun in my belt if I fall on the gun hard enough it could go off too. There are rosks in all phases of life.

I like i balance what is more risk than less and for me living as i do with a wife that shoots, who will not touch my gun, since i don't touch hers, there is 0 chance that gun can fall in the first place.

It has never once been dropped since I have owned it.

Accidents happen and I would think it is far more likey to fire on my belt than on that deep shelf a few inches off the floor, where several carpets over lap.

I ride motorcycles too, and sometimes they can fall down too. Another risk.

My back up is loaded and in my pocket. If I fell on that there is a chance it could go off, but I can't really see how since the hammer is locked in a slot, and it has it's holster too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 05:25 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
How many innocent dead people would it take to impress you then?
You cannot protect the helpless by making them more helpless.

The weak have been preyed upon by the strong, the thugs and bullies, throughout history.

Tolerance of predators is unmerciful to the next victim.

A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.
--- Thomas Jefferson to Peter Carr, 1785. The Writings of Thomas Jefferson, (Memorial Edition) Lipscomb and Bergh, editors.

----
IMHO, a 3 round burst is more effective than "spray and pray" full automatic firing.

SURVIVING IN ARGENTINA: Thoughts on Urban Survival (2005)
I once saw a man walk into a gun store wanting to trade his 357 magnum revolver for a 9mm high capacity pistol. He said he was driving when thugs from another car started shooting at him. He was chased for a few blocks. He said that he pulled his revolver and started shooting at them, and ran out of ammo real fast. He wanted more capacity and fast reloading. I could not agree with him more.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Mebbie if ya lined em up.
It was a .44 mag after all.

Yeah I thought meebee I should shoot one rnd into the dirt for four, and then get all the bad guys to stand in pairs and shoot all 8 with 4 trick bullets.

Thanks for keepin' it lite.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:35 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,804,991 times
What Liberals Don't Know About Guns, Chapter 217 - HUMAN EVENTS

Old 02-02-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:
How many innocent dead people would it take to impress you then?

I have no idea.

At Columbine students were killed and I was at another school doing a historical lecture with flintlocks. That was the last day i did that, and lost earning for it. The laws changed. My contract was breeched and I was accosted by 12 state troopers. The 12 troopers stayed and in the end I did everything i would have done anyway, and I did start 2 fires with sticks and flintn steel and I DID fire the Musket. But never again and there is no money I ever would again do that for.

I lost 2 innocent family members unable to defend themselves, My father in law and his 2nd wife. They were elderly but not dead.

He was US Army for 30 years, and classifed at kodak another 30. His wife was still a lawyer. The attacker was a young while male wacko thug with a knife and the cops ony arrived 2.5 hours after it was too late.

I go armed every day 24/7 since then, and tpo make sure their daughter, my wife never has this particular issue.

I paid that price.

I shot a bad guy at my home in Bartlett NH and was on the phone with the cops. I had the phone in one hand and the shot gun in the other. When the cops told me they were not my personal guards the next thing the cop on the phone here was BOOM!

Now I know, I won't bother calling the cops again. I don't give a rats diddely about bad guys trying to harm me and mine at our home. I really don't care what happens to them.

If I am supposed to feel bad about bad guys and mine had a long time playing album, not just a record and was wanted for more drug related violent crimes with 6 out stnding bencha warrents to tell the truth I am glade he is where he is instead of me, my wife of the time and or my son.

You have no idea what it is really like to have to defend your home and family. I been there. I been there more than once and in rural remote settings which everyone thinks is so safe.

I don't know what kind of one gun it is you have but probably you lmow very little about it.

I have built a great many with my own hands and tools. I dis-agree with another shooter but then I am as Free.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:40 PM

I was surprised the page had any text!

On edit: This is my favorite:
In Santee, Calif., in 2001, when a student began shooting his classmates, the school activated its "safe school plan" -- as the principal later told CNN -- by sending a "trained campus supervisor" to stop the killer.

Possibly not realizing that he was in a gun-free zone, the killer responded by shooting the trained campus supervisor three times. Fortunately, an armed off-duty San Diego policeman happened to be bringing his daughter to school that day. With a gun, he stopped the killer and held him at bay until more police could arrive.

Two dead.

Last edited by Mac_Muz; 02-02-2011 at 05:49 PM..

Old 02-02-2011, 06:12 PM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Go ahead. I have no idea. I don't think the point is lost, but if you want to try to reduce this to semantics, you're welcome to.

Why on Earth does anyone need three AK-47 Assault Rifles?
Not all "rifles" are the same. Some are different caliber. Some are collectables. Some are cheap to shoot while others are expensive.Some have swap mags while others are internal. Each Country had their own version back in the day.

Why did Marcos need hundreds of pairs of shoes. Ok, I digress.

An official assault rifle is fully auto. You can make a pellet gun look more menacing than a AK. You can't even legally own a "assault rifle" here except rare cases. They are simply semi-auto guns.

A 7.62 x 39 isn't even that powerful. Most hunting rifles are far more dangerous as far as killing power. My woodmaster rifle is twice as powerful as the old Ak but the ammo is twice as expensive. When you are shooting targets you want cheap ammo. Most of these old converted war guns shoot hardball ammo anyway and have a limited range.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:17 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
I rather have a gun instead of just the bad guys having a gun....

Old 02-02-2011, 06:22 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I rather have a gun instead of just the bad guys having a gun....
No one is arguing your right to own a gun.

I own one myself.

What I question is the wisdom behind allowing ownership of semi-automatic an auto-matic weapons, and high capacity magazines. I also question the benefit of allowing someone to collect an entire arsenal of weaponry.

I have yet to hear a sensible self-defense argument for owning either.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:26 PM

996 posts, read 1,057,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Considering you have not seen my shelf, pray tell how can you determine what can and what can not fall, more so if no one is there to touch a gun in a holster?

I hear ya, but your passing judgement on me and things you can't see.

Wearing that gun in my belt if I fall on the gun hard enough it could go off too. There are rosks in all phases of life.

I like i balance what is more risk than less and for me living as i do with a wife that shoots, who will not touch my gun, since i don't touch hers, there is 0 chance that gun can fall in the first place.

It has never once been dropped since I have owned it.

Accidents happen and I would think it is far more likey to fire on my belt than on that deep shelf a few inches off the floor, where several carpets over lap.

I ride motorcycles too, and sometimes they can fall down too. Another risk.

My back up is loaded and in my pocket. If I fell on that there is a chance it could go off, but I can't really see how since the hammer is locked in a slot, and it has it's holster too.
When you put a round in yourself - chalk it up to Darwin.

I steer clear of Rambo-types like you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies