Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 09:33 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,835,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
I HOPE YOUR LISTENING.

A few quotes below

Yes, I'm "listening". I'm going to be quite frank, your post isn't good. In fact, it poorly illustrates your argument.

1) Richard Lamm did not accurately cite examples of how, as he put it, multiculturalism is destroying America. He neglected the fact that the fastest growing metros in the nation are so-called multicultural. He did not include the fact that the richest and safest city in the nation, San Jose, has nearly 40% of its residents being born in another country. There are numerous examples of how multiculturalism works.

2) Kant lived in a time of ridiculous notions of culture, race, and language. Much of what we know from that time has been debunked.

3) Canada may not know "who" it is, but it sure consistently tops the lists of the most livable countries in the world. Vancouver, the most multiracial city in Canada, was also the most livable city in the world...again.

4) Egypt and Tunisia are proving this one wrong. Resources cause conflicts. The lack of resources is the main cause of conflicts. Divisions only occur when there is a dearth of resources. Otherwise we would expect Switzerland to have been completely obliterated by constant internal strife.

5) Yes, Belgium and Canada are mired in strife. Really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 12:17 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,665,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
Yes, I'm "listening". I'm going to be quite frank, your post isn't good. In fact, it poorly illustrates your argument.

1) Richard Lamm did not accurately cite examples of how, as he put it, multiculturalism is destroying America. He neglected the fact that the fastest growing metros in the nation are so-called multicultural. He did not include the fact that the richest and safest city in the nation, San Jose, has nearly 40% of its residents being born in another country. There are numerous examples of how multiculturalism works.

2) Kant lived in a time of ridiculous notions of culture, race, and language. Much of what we know from that time has been debunked.

3) Canada may not know "who" it is, but it sure consistently tops the lists of the most livable countries in the world. Vancouver, the most multiracial city in Canada, was also the most livable city in the world...again.

4) Egypt and Tunisia are proving this one wrong. Resources cause conflicts. The lack of resources is the main cause of conflicts. Divisions only occur when there is a dearth of resources. Otherwise we would expect Switzerland to have been completely obliterated by constant internal strife.

You still don't get it, nor have you proved otherwise.

Today, we see entire cities separated by ethnic tribes that refuse to speak English or assimilate into the American way of life.

Quote:
We face accelerating dangerous precedents that not only separate us linguistically, but cause animosities that cannot be solved just because we’re all Americans
Quote:
One look at what’s happening to Europe should make anyone tremble on many levels.
My previous reply is things you can see on the news every night.

There is constant Conflict when there are two or more competing languages.
Canada is great example of divide as well a the middle east.

Many cities are becoming balkanize in the U.S. soon the Country looses its Nationality if we don't unite it with one of the single most important elements our language.

Religion & language are the main causes of conflict

Old 02-09-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post

These quotes are facts
Quote:
A nation needs a common language as it needs a common currency,” said Governor Richard D. Lamm of Colorado

The great philosopher Kant said, “The two great dividers are religion and language.

Canada doesn’t know ‘who’ it is with 12 distinct languages and cultures now emerging from its relentless immigration policy.

At a fair this year, one Pakistani immigrant told a Canadian, “This isn’t Canada anymore; it’s a world country.” In other words, Canada has displaced itself out of its own culture, identity and language. In order to protect its culture and language, Quebec will only invite those who speak French and share their culture.

Wherever you see conflict in the world today, you see competing religions, cultures and languages. Any country may possess different cultures and religions, but once a country cannot communicate in one single language, it cannot continue its existence as a cohesive entity.

London, England boasts two separate ‘cities’—the British inhabit one part of London and middle eastern immigrants inhabit the other. Two cultures, two languages, two different religions—total separation.

Multiple languages balkanize any country. Seymour Martin Lipset said, “The histories of bi-lingual and bi-cultural societies that do not assimilate are histories of turmoil, tension and tragedy.”

Look at French Canada and English Canada. Their battle continues to this day. “Belgium, Malaysia, Lebanon—all face crises of national existence in which minorities press for autonomy, if not independence,”

Old 02-09-2011, 05:38 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,835,572 times
Quote:
You still don't get it, nor have you proved otherwise.

Today, we see entire cities separated by ethnic tribes that refuse to speak English or assimilate into the American way of life.

My previous reply is things you can see on the news every night.

There is constant Conflict when there are two or more competing languages.
Canada is great example of divide as well a the middle east.

Many cities are becoming balkanize in the U.S. soon the Country looses its Nationality if we don't unite it with one of the single most important elements our language.

Religion & language are the main causes of conflict
Putting random quotations of OPINIONS are not facts. LACK of resources is the main cause of conflict. Consider why is it that most wars occur in the third world. Lack of resources (wealth). Why isn't Canada at war with itself? Why are Belgium, Switzerland, the US, France, Spain, the UK not in constant conflict? They are wealthy nations. There are enough resources. These nations do not have a universal language. The Korean peninsula is unified in language and religion, yet it's divided.

Citing that Canada has a better standard of living on every measure is a fact. It's measurable. It's not an opinion. Fact: Canada and Belgium have lower crime rates. Fact: Canada and Belgium have a smaller wealth gap. Fact: Canada and Belgium have better education systems. Fact: Canada and Belgium have better healthcare. Canada is not the middle east.

What we see in newer cities is more residential integration and more cross cultural exchanges.

I don't think you've actually researched this.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:12 AM

You have not research anything you said.

Everything I mentioned and quoted for you, you can turn on the TV and see for yourself.

Why not go to California. It is a lot of tension between Black Americans and Mexicans.

Currently there is a lot of tension of Americans Pressing 1 for English.

Having competing languages divides us and segregates people and things.

Try going to Europe or the middle East or even Canada

Old 02-10-2011, 07:35 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,829,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
It is about time.

We can finally get rid of all of those other languages on my signs, roads, phones, groceries, electronics etc.
Like that stupid metric system. It'll never catch on.

P.S. Latinos will be the majority in 50 years. So this question is moot, isn't it?

Vyolette. Take Flourys of Vyolet, boyle hem, presse hem, bray hem smal, temper hem vppe with Almaunde mylke, or gode Cowe Mylke, a-lye it with Amyndoun or Flowre of Rys; take Sugre y-now, an putte þer-to, or hony in defaute; coloure it with þe same þat þe flowrys be on y-peyntid a-boue.
  • 2 C violet petals, trimmed and rinsed
  • 1 C water
  • 1 1/2 C unstrained almond milk
  • 2 T rice flour
  • 4 tsp sugar
  • 1/4 tsp saffron, optional
1. In a saucepan, bring water to a boil. Stir in violet petals, return to the boil, stirring constantly, for one minute. Drain the petals in a sieve, and press out as much water as possible.

2. On a cutting board, finely mince the boiled petals, and mash them to a paste.
3. In a saucepan, over medium heat, bring almond milk to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring frequently, for two minutes. Stir in mashed petals. Stir in rice flour, a bit at a time, Stir in sugar and saffron. Continue to simmer and stir for five minutes. Serve in individual small bowls.
Serves four.

http://www.godecookery.com/nboke/nboke34.htm

Old 02-10-2011, 07:47 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,916,997 times
I don't think you can legislate for language. The French tried it for years in an attempt to keep anglicisms out of their language and it was an abject failure.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:58 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,834,517 times
Quote:
You have not research anything you said.

Everything I mentioned and quoted for you, you can turn on the TV and see for yourself.

Why not go to California. It is a lot of tension between Black Americans and Mexicans.

Currently there is a lot of tension of Americans Pressing 1 for English.

Having competing languages divides us and segregates people and things.

Try going to Europe or the middle East or even Canada
How would making America " english only" change this fact. Even if Federal Governmetal sites were made to be English only. States would still be able to choose any other languages for state business.

Not to mention, no private enterprise or business could be forced to adhere to an English only policy to do business.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:23 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,369,528 times
I'm French, and honestly I don't understand why English isn't the official language of the USA, total non-sense...I like Spanish (and Russian lol) but Americans speak mainly English (I love it), so...

Old 02-10-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
How would making America " english only" change this fact. Even if Federal Governmetal sites were made to be English only. States would still be able to choose any other languages for state business.

Not to mention, no private enterprise or business could be forced to adhere to an English only policy to do business.
Are you suggesting a language war?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies