Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 06:54 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,618,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
No problem.

No, as i stated I hate smoking but am not for a ban as it is an individual choice.
I don't go to bars where there is smoking but before when establishments in my state allowed smoking I resented the people who blew smoke in my direction.

So are you saying if someone is in a business with toxic chemicals and they want to release them it is OK with you because I could leave if I don't want to be exposed?

Because the toxins from the cigarette have been proven to be carcinogenic.
As long as cigarettes are considered legal to smoke I don't have a problem with a business making the decision to allow them to be used in their establishment. If it is legal to use toxic chemicals in the fashion that they are releasing them, then so be it.

If that's a problem for me to be there, I won't go. And I won't spend money there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 06:54 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,539,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Because it's a free country. I have to adjust to the idiot with the "boom boom" stereo. I have to deal with crowds of people if I go to the movies, or the grocery store, or whatever. I have to deal with traffic driving to work, etc.

That's what you get when you live in a city. You have to interact with and be around people. Don't like it? Move to a rural area where you can hug trees and breathe fresh air all day long to your heart's content.

Grow up and be an adult and stop depending on the government to sterilize everything for you.
This is the first time I have ever agreed with you.

If they go for cigarettes, then they need to go for booze and then guns. I personally like freedom to choose.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:01 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,749,540 times
Absolutely No !!! And the question shouldn't even be considered.

We don't need government telling us what we can eat, drink or smoke.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:02 AM

50,320 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
This is the first time I have ever agreed with you.

If they go for cigarettes, then they need to go for booze and then guns. I personally like freedom to choose.
In most places in CA they've reduced all 3. In SD you can't drink or smoke in most public places that 5-10 years ago you could. Unloaded open carry is the current target by certain politicians.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:03 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,952,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
But why should the non smoker have to make the adjustment?
Why shouldn't they be able to go into any public place and enjoy clean air?

Let the smokers indulge all they want but in their own space where they don't pollute the lungs of innocent people.

Non-smokers SHOULD be able to go into any public place and enjoy clean air, except when that place is a private establishment that chooses to cater to both smokers and nonsmokers. People have every right to enjoy PUBLIC places with clean air. A private establishment that caters to the public is not a publicly owned place.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:05 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,952,271 times
It's funny how this country how this country is so fickle. You go to many places in Europe and there is smoking everywhere still. Seems like the countries over there may value their rights more so than we do in many ways.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:12 AM

4,562 posts, read 4,104,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I am not a smoker, hate the smell, cigarettes to me are plain disgusting. But that being said, what about freedom of choice, right or wrong, good or bad or indifferent, inch by inch, if we so let them, things that we love, might soon be taken away also. Health wise, this would be a very good decision, but smokers already know the risk to their health, i would tend to say yes because my Father died of lung cancer caused by cigarettes. But there still comes that thing called freedom to make your own choice.
Then why not legalize all drugs??? Heroin is less addictive than nicotene.

Additionally if you give smokers the freedom to smoke everywhere they want, it affects nonsmokers. We have to breath and smell their smoke. If we don't want to deal with it, we lose freedom of where we'd like to go and what we like to do.

Its really not that much to restrict on smokers. They can still go wherever they like. Smoke in your car or in your house, if not, carry some nicotene gum or use a patch to cover your addiction.

I suppose drunk driving laws are an interference on freedom too?? Same idea, the government says you can't do something, and its something that if you do it you can get yourself or someone else, sick or dead.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:16 AM

4,562 posts, read 4,104,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
It's funny how this country how this country is so fickle. You go to many places in Europe and there is smoking everywhere still. Seems like the countries over there may value their rights more so than we do in many ways.
They don't seem to mind universal health care either.........

Maybe they put up with the smoking because they know treating lung cancer (along with all the other illnesses smoking is known to cause) won't cause bankruptcy.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:19 AM

2,126 posts, read 2,382,601 times
I'm sure somebody has already pointed this out, but the movement is there. Not that I support it or don't support it, but the smoking ban has been gradually sweeping the nation.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:21 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,531,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
Non-smokers SHOULD be able to go into any public place and enjoy clean air, except when that place is a private establishment that chooses to cater to both smokers and nonsmokers. People have every right to enjoy PUBLIC places with clean air. A private establishment that caters to the public is not a publicly owned place.
No one said it was a publcly owned place.

I stand by my assertion that people should be able to, at a minimum, enjoy clean air and not have someone next to them enveloping them in carcinogenic toxins.

This should be COMMON SENSE. It is a matter of simple decent behavior. Civility.
If you have an addiction and you want to indulge regardless of the health implications then so be it, but you should have enough respect for your fellow man not to expose them.
But since many people seem to lack this sense then the establishment should protect the public.
If the business wants to post a sign that says something to the effect: Enter at your own risk toxic chemicals being released. . . . Making it know that it is catering to smokers then that is a different story. Basically a bar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies