Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are homeless people worth helping out?
Yes 48 64.86%
No 9 12.16%
Maybe 15 20.27%
Never 2 2.70%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 07:11 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,094,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Oh, yes, absolutely. Help them into C-130, give them a brown bag lunch, $10, a parachute and kick their butts out the back over the Sudan or Zimbabwe, or maybe Myanmar.

Next time, ask him, "How does it feel to want?"

Cool.

Well, they're probably wrapped a little too tight for this world. Probably all the light and space in your facility there put the zap on their head or something.

If they aren't crack, meth or heroin addicts, they're alcoholics (or both).

There's nothing to be done. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink. There's plenty of help out there from the private sector as well as your tax dollars going to waste. As I pointed out on another thread using statistics from a pro-homeless advocacy web-site, we spend $90,000 per year per homeless. As a disabled veteran, that is about 6 1/2 times my annual income.

When someone gets addicted to drugs or alcohol, you have maybe 6-12 months to get intervention, and there's a better than 50%-50% they'll make it through.

However, when it's been 2-18 years, the only thing that works is intensive behavior modification.

That means going into an institution, up at 5:30 AM, physical training until 6:00 AM, hygiene and preparation for room inspection until 7:00 AM, room inspection until 7:30 AM, breakfast until 8:00 AM and then heavy labor until 4:30 PM, thirty minutes of down-time, dinner at 5:00 PM, addiction therapy classes from 6:00 PM to 10:00 PM, one hour of meditation and lights out at 11:00 PM.

And after 7-10 years of that, you just might be successful in rehabbing them.

Otherwise, all they do is take up space and cause crime.

No, you're doing them a favor.

Personally, I'm opposed to anti-pan-handling laws.

I think the people that should be punished are the ones who give away change. They should be charged with aiding and abetting.

There is no point.

Some people fail. That's what they do. If 3% fail, then 97% are succeeding and 97% is an "A."

I want to help the 97% get even better.

Everyone should consider that there are people out there who did exactly what was expected of them. They went to school (everyday) and showed up on time (everyday) and studied and tried to learn and now they're out there and they aren't causing harm to anyone or committing crimes, they working as best they can, but they're only barely making it. I want to help those people, and try to bring them up a notch or two.

I think it should be done like Eastern Europe. Police catch you outdoors, you get a warning. Second time you go in the van, and the van takes you a farm or some nasty place like a salt mine or coal mine and they work you like a dog 16 hours a day. Maybe after 5 years or so, they'll release them.
Sooooooooooo, does the bolded portion apply to Rush Limbaugh?

Old 02-03-2011, 07:13 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ntr0py View Post
I'm sorry, but I'm pretty sure it's statistically verifiable fact that MOST people walking this planet don't take time out of their day to help homeless people and donate a percentage of their income to helping the homeless or contribute anything to society whatsoever. If anything I've just pissed off the the 10 people on this forum who work at homeless shelters or help them through their church. Most people can barely take care of themselves.
You flatter yourself, people like you aren't worth the effort of getting pissed off about

Old 02-03-2011, 07:13 PM

2,179 posts, read 3,405,976 times
Quote:
Are you saying one day the ghost of Christmas, past, present, and future will be paying me a visit?
Man, what you have comin' is right around the corner. It won't be a spirit or a god or ghost from anywhere, but life that's all. What goes around is guaranteed to come around.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:18 PM

182 posts, read 130,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
Man, what you have comin' is right around the corner. It won't be a spirit or a god or ghost from anywhere, but life that's all. What goes around is guaranteed to come around.
What goes around does not always come around. I'm sorry if you live in some fantasy world, but life is much more complicated than that.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:19 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,532,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
I'm sensing a real lightweight here. Few HW thinkers or doers have such an outlook on the less fortunate. I'm guessin' the OP is young, still in his '20's, probably works as a salesman, some fledgling business capacity. Has had a few bad years and is just now starting to make a living that he can be proud of; one that will allow him to look down on anyone who doesn't earn the same. But he's holding onto his new found prosperity by a thread, and somewhere in the dark recesses of his mind he knows it, and it scares him to the point that the only way that he can stop his knees from knocking together is to put as much distance as he can, even if projected, between himself and the poorest of the poor.

But it is useless OP, because you are sick of heart, and it is just a matter of time before it catches up with you..
Well I don't think we should harrass him and admonish him and tell him it's going to "catch up with him."
He has a right to his opinion and wanted to share it.
And he verbalizes his feelings but I wonder how much his detractors have actually done for people in need recently.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
I wonder how much his detractors have actually done for people in need recently.
This.

I bet there's a lot more hypocrisy than help going out to homeless people.

At least I'm honest where most people are too chicken **** in this overly politically correct society built up by the liberals to speak their mind.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
So you accept everything Ayn Rand taught as "gospel" but question the veracity of the word of God?
I believe that independence and individual achievement enables society to survive and thrive. Coerced (your fear of going to hell, or the words of the bible) self-sacrifice helps no one and will cause our society to fail.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:31 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,754,589 times
Quote:
Arrogantly inhumane? I'm sorry but I'm pretty sure most people feel this way about homeless. I'm sure all you guys are actively trying to find ways to help the homeless. I'm stating the truth about how I feel about the "homeless".
Just from the posts I've read so far I'd say you're an aberration. Most people I know (as well as most of those who've responded to your thread) DON'T feel they way you do about the homeless.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:44 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,754,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
If they never work another day for the rest of their lives they have more value than someone who is intentionally cruel to another human being.
Glad you said it, because I was just about to.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:44 PM

774 posts, read 1,165,097 times
Quote:
Well the bums I see are mostly black guys in their mid 40's. What war are they vets of?
Desert Storm. I have family that fought in Desert Storm. One became an alcoholic because that was the only way he knew how to cope with what he had been through and done.

You're about an arrogant SOB. You probably don't think it can happen to you, but you can be separated from your money. You don't know what life will throw at you. Illness, lawsuits, blackmail, embezzlement, crooked investment partners and/or brokers, etc. You could use a real life's lesson to cure you of your haughtiness. It would do you some good to lose all your money and join the ranks of these "worthless bums" that you have so much disdain for. Maybe then you would learn to respect people and their circumstances, and not judge them.

Repeat after me: "There, but for the grace of God, go I".

Last edited by SloRoller; 02-03-2011 at 08:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies