Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2012, 02:44 AM

30,358 posts, read 51,950,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
When he said it (years ago) he was referring to drug dealers of ILLEGAL drugs. Drugs illegally obtained are much different from an illegal drug.
No they're not, and I dare you to test that belief on an officer of the law. Addiction is addiction, and some prescription pills (particularly Oxy) are even more dangerous & addictive than most "illegal drugs." He knew that was a hypocritical statement, I imagine, and your excuses for him are really a desperate stretch. Why are you so afraid to admit these things? Could you get your nose any higher up his butt?

Quote:
The other person I outlined also was big time addicted; what's your point? You do know why Rush became addicted right? Do you praise the fact that he did get treated for it? Do you agree that it is better to seek treatment than to do nothing about it? Do you agree that many, many people from all walks of life get addicted to Oxycontin?
I think we can all agree to that last statement, and why he became addicted doesn't really matter. Not everyone who suffers from chronic pain becomes addicted, so he clearly had/has the tendencies of an addict - period. I would also guess this wasn't his first ride on the merry-go-round, as it's unusual to suddenly become an abuser at that stage of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 02:46 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
When he said it (years ago) he was referring to drug dealers of ILLEGAL drugs. Drugs illegally obtained are much different from an illegal drug.
Um, wat?
Care to explain?

Old 04-07-2012, 02:49 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Um, wat?
Care to explain?
Sure, since you want to nitpick it to death.

Illegal drugs are 1) illegal to posses and 2) illegal to buy.

A prescription drug is not illegal to posses even if it was bought legally.

So that's 2 against 1.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Um, wat?
Care to explain?
Yeah, I thought that was a pretty ridiculous statement too! I really don't think the police officers would agree, as they'll arrest you for illegally obtained Oxy just as quickly as for heroin.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Sure, since you want to nitpick it to death.

Illegal drugs are 1) illegal to posses and 2) illegal to buy.

A prescription drug is not illegal to posses even if it was bought legally. (I assume you meant illegally?)

So that's 2 against 1.
Wrong again. If you do not have a LEGAL prescription for the drug, it's treated just the same as heroin, crack, etc. Are you really not getting this?? And why are you making excuses for his addiction? I don't care if you think he's the next coming of Christ, he was still addicted to drugs no matter how you slice it.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
No they're not, and I dare you to test that belief on an officer of the law. Addiction is addiction, and some prescription pills (particularly Oxy) are even more dangerous & addictive than most "illegal drugs." He knew that was a hypocritical statement, I imagine, and your excuses for him are really a desperate stretch. Why are you so afraid to admit these things?
Oh, so now they are the same thing? Okaaaaaay!
Again, I am nowhere near "desperate" or "making excuses." As I said, if Rush were a liberal Democrat many libs here would be praising that his rehab was successful.

Quote:
I think we can all agree to that last statement, and why he became addicted doesn't really matter. Not everyone who suffers from chronic pain becomes addicted, so he clearly had/has the tendencies of an addict - period. I would also guess this wasn't his first ride on the merry-go-round, as it's unusual to suddenly become an abuser at that stage of life.
What? Why he became addicted "doesn't matter?" Lol. I'll repeat... okaaaaaay! Kind of hard debate with irrational claims.
A lot of people family members would never suspect of having "tendencies of an addict" become one. But they don't host a radio show so they are largely not heard about.

Yeah, you would guess... but only because you are anti-Rush, correct?

Old 04-07-2012, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Wrong again. If you do not have a LEGAL prescription for the drug, it's treated just the same as heroin, crack, etc. Are you really not getting this?? And why are you making excuses for his addiction? I don't care if you think he's the next coming of Christ, he was still addicted to drugs no matter how you slice it.
I don't know much about prescription or other types of drugs (fortunately). As another poster mentioned earlier, Rush was never convicted of anything.

I have had some acute episodes of back pain and I know how painful it can be. How about you?

Again, I'm not making excuses for anything. I am pointing out what happened to Rush has happened to hundreds of thousands of people. People (like Rush) who had no intention of getting addicted to anything.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Oh, so now they are the same thing? Okaaaaaay!
Yup. Do you have any knowledge of the law and/or drug addiction? I think not, based on the incredible ignorance you're showing here.

Quote:
Again, I am nowhere near "desperate" or "making excuses." As I said, if Rush were a liberal Democrat many libs here would be praising that his rehab was successful.
You can say it all you want, but that doesn't make it true.

For one thing, I never said his rehab wasn't successful... if it was I'm truly happy for him, but I hope he realizes addiction NEVER goes away completely. He will always be an addict, and needs to be very very careful about what he consumes for the rest of his life. In case you haven't read between the lines of my other posts, I know this from personal experience.

Quote:
What? Why he became addicted "doesn't matter?" Lol. I'll repeat... okaaaaaay! Kind of hard debate with irrational claims.
A lot of people family members would never suspect of having "tendencies of an addict" become one. But they don't host a radio show so they are largely not heard about.
If they became addicted, they had the tendencies - whether or not it was realized until then. How else do you explain people taking pain meds without becoming addicted? This isn't a slam on Rush personally, it's simple logic combined with scientific evidence.

Quote:
Yeah, you would guess... but only because you are anti-Rush, correct?
Umm, no. I guess because I've been there myself, having overcome a pretty serious & deadly addiction about 15 years ago.

What does it mean to be "anti-Rush," anyway? I'm not a fan of the guy, but I have no strong feelings about him one way or another... I am merely discussing the topic of addiction, and would say the same about anyone else struggling with pill abuse. Name any Democrat who's been addicted to pills, and my statements will ALL still apply 100%.

Last edited by gizmo980; 04-07-2012 at 03:44 AM..

Old 04-07-2012, 03:09 AM

Quote:
I don't know much about prescription or other types of drugs (fortunately). As another poster mentioned earlier, Rush was never convicted of anything.
Neither was I, and I was doing enough drugs to kill a horse. You know what it means when an addict has a clean criminal record? It means they've either been lucky enough to avoid getting caught (as was my case), or they had enough money to buy their way out of a conviction.

Quote:
I have had some acute episodes of back pain and I know how painful it can be. How about you?
Already said above that I have a chronic/painful back problem (stemming from a horseback riding injury @ age 12), along with severe arthritis since age 20-ish. I used to self-medicate and even tried a few prescription drugs, but with my history both my doctor & I agreed marijuana was probably the safest method for pain control. Everyone handles pain differently, but somebody with an addictive personality should be careful about accepting things like Oxy.

Quote:
Again, I'm not making excuses for anything. I am pointing out what happened to Rush has happened to hundreds of thousands of people. People (like Rush) who had no intention of getting addicted to anything.
Nobody intends to get addicted... even people who try heroin don't generally think it will become a deadly addiction, they just think it'll be fun to try once or twice. Again, you really shouldn't be discussing something you clearly don't understand.

Last edited by gizmo980; 04-07-2012 at 03:49 AM..

Old 04-07-2012, 03:14 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
To drag the thread back to ground zero...I'm enjoying Steven Tyler on American Idol. He's ..colorful despite being sober.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies