Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 12:16 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times

Advertisements

Students have a difficult time enough with learning plain English.

They need to master English before they are introduced to another language which has zero economic value for their future livelihood. They forced Russian down our throats in the 80's as if it was the "next big thing" too.

It's time Americans stopped jumping on the "language" bandwagon whenever the spoken "flavor of the era" pops up and simply concentrate on teaching these kids ENGLISH, MATH and SCIENCE so they can compete on a global scale. I doubt seriously that Arabic will do anything constructive for them in the future except that they learn a new language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 12:16 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffington View Post
English is, and will always remain, the Universal Language of All That Matters. Arabic is a nullity spoken by nobody of importance, IMHO
Not necessarily. There will be a time when another will take over. Even English has evolved considerably. And a lot of that evolution involves acceptance of words that are rooted in other languages. That is the way it has been, and that is the way it will always be.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Students have a difficult time enough with learning plain English.
Only in America someone would make that claim. I know multi-linguists who would put a lot of just English speakers to shame. In fact, a lot of societies emphasize on learning more (not less), to get an upper hand in the future. And they've been succeeding. In fact, India versus China or Russia may be a good example. Indians tend to know at least two languages.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:29 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times
Quote:
They need to master English before they are introduced to another language which has zero economic value for their future livelihood.
Countless studies have shown greater literacy rates amongst students who learned multiple languages.

Quote:
It's time Americans stopped jumping on the "language" bandwagon whenever the spoken "flavor of the era" pops up and simply concentrate on teaching these kids ENGLISH, MATH and SCIENCE so they can compete on a global scale.
Well, to the effect of the bolded... in that case, our children should be learning:

* Mandarin because it is the most widely spoken language in the world.
* French or Spanish because of our location and the similarities between romance languages
* And finally, Latin because english has its roots in Latin... in addition to its use in sciences, philosophy, medicine, etc.

And those would be in addition to English.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:34 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Just an observation (from the military side).

Our war on Islamic terrorism has been largely crippled by the lack of Arabic linguists among Americans.

How is this a bad thing? Exactly?
The military has training to learn those languages. Why the need to force it on people?

Old 02-08-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
The military has training to learn those languages. Why the need to force it on people?
Force?

Old 02-08-2011, 12:39 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Last I knew most children had a choice in which foreign languages of which they partook in school. There were usually 2-3 choices. I don't believe that equivocates to being forced. This school district would seem to be an exception. I don't agree with forcing of a specific language nor forcing learning about foreign cultures, which I believe is the crux of the article and of the OP's point.

Parents who do not want their children taking mandatory Arabic language and culture classes at this school may have to move them to a different district, to a private school, or home school. At least we are still free enough to do that (in some states).

Personally, I think it is a good thing when our schools offer more variety for foreign language than the typical Spanish or French. More and more are also offering Chinese. I think the offering of mutiple languages, including those used in business, is advantageous to American children. I'll admit I don't like seeing it done with federal grants. I'd like to see schools returned to state control and funding exclusively; but that is another topic.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:43 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
Countless studies have shown greater literacy rates amongst students who learned multiple languages.

Well, to the effect of the bolded... in that case, our children should be learning:

* Mandarin because it is the most widely spoken language in the world.
* French or Spanish because of our location and the similarities between romance languages
* And finally, Latin because english has its roots in Latin... in addition to its use in sciences, philosophy, medicine, etc.

And those would be in addition to English.
Meanwhile they cut the music department but they find money to teach Arabic.

The international language of business and commerce is ENGLISH.

Not Mandarin, Spanish, German, Swahili, Portuguese, Dutch or French and certainly not Latin.

Learning a foreign language may be a requirement in public schools, it doesn't negate the fact that Science, and Math are the core subjects students need to compete on a global scale with English being equally as important.

Students learning Arabic should be as low on the requirement scale as a student being involved in extracurricular activities.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:45 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Force?
Quote:
The Foreign Language Assistance Program (FLAP) grant was awarded to Mansfield ISD last summer by the U.S. Department of Education.

As part of the five-year $1.3 million grant, Arabic classes would be mandatory at Cross Timbers Intermediate School and Kenneth Davis Elementary School.
It usually helps to actually read the article to which one is responding.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
The international language of business and commerce is ENGLISH.

Not Mandarin, Spanish, German, Swahili, Portuguese, Dutch or French and certainly not Latin.
I'm actually now proud that part of my property taxes go to this school district. Now only if Flower Mound (Lewisville ISD) would also do the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies