Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 07:28 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times

Advertisements

How is granting permission to the people, a government run by the people?

As an adult human being, there is no one above me to grant me permission, but GOD himself.

A collaboration to become the GOD in our lives, by granting you, an individual, permission to live on Earth and in the nation the call the USA.

I don't think that is how this nation was visioned to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 07:36 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,449,100 times
See: Constitution of the United States - Official

Old 02-13-2011, 07:47 AM

Granting permission is the things Kings and Dictators are made of.

A Free Society ruled by man, not men.

There is no freedom, when permission has to be granted.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:04 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,449,100 times
See:

Permission - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Permission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-13-2011, 08:16 AM

Which leads one to look up Authorization and permitted/permit.

That leads you to Sanctions and Allow

Those lead to Personal Opinion

Old 02-13-2011, 09:43 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
How is granting permission to the people, a government run by the people?

As an adult human being, there is no one above me to grant me permission, but GOD himself.

A collaboration to become the GOD in our lives, by granting you, an individual, permission to live on Earth and in the nation the call the USA.

I don't think that is how this nation was visioned to be.
The way I see it, unless it is a right enumerated in the constitution, we have formed a more perfect union and a government to regulate what is best for society based on mutually agreed upon boundries of conduct.

Excuse me if I'm wrong, but the way I see your viewpoint is total anarchy. You feel that you can do anything you want for yourself or to anybody at any time without censure as it is God who grants you total immunity from the rule of law. If I got it wrong, please educate me.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:58 AM

4,272 posts, read 3,788,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Is this statement true?

You being a part of the community that I also live in, I give you permission to live the way you do, just as you give me permission to live the way I want to. I can say that you can't marry your sibling, and if enough of our compatriots agree, you can't.

So, everyone that you live with, beside, among, at odds with, etc. give you tacit approval to live the way you do, as long as you do the same for them. And they also limit you in what you want to do, just as you do them.

If you think that's God at work, so be it. It is divine in the way it works.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:03 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Perhaps the OP could be more specific?

The people either give consent to be governed, or, they withdraw consent.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
The way I see it, unless it is a right enumerated in the constitution, we have formed a more perfect union and a government to regulate what is best for society based on mutually agreed upon boundries of conduct.

Excuse me if I'm wrong, but the way I see your viewpoint is total anarchy. You feel that you can do anything you want for yourself or to anybody at any time without censure as it is God who grants you total immunity from the rule of law. If I got it wrong, please educate me.

If we disagree, there is discussion. Who are you to grant me, or anyone permission to do anything I wish. If we can't come to a peaceful conclusion to our problems, you eliminate me or I eliminate you and the problem is solved.

It use to be a dual with ball pistols, if you wanted to be civil about it.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:24 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
What a strange OP. There is something above you but below God, and that's the law. I agree with the above that you're talking about being an anarchist.

We voluntary cede a degree of our individual power to the collective (organized by government) to protect the highest good of all. If you live in a rural area, I could see how you could convince yourself of this "I'm the king of the world" stuff, but try living in a city. You'll realize quickly how valuable it is to have laws that control the actions of others to keep the overall society functioning safely and efficiently for everything from making too much noise to building some monstrocity that negatively impacts a neighborhood.

As a small example, you don't have the right to stop your car in the middle of the highway during rush hour. If you do, you will block traffic and negatively impact others' lives. The law demands that you keep moving at a minimum speed whenever possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies