Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2011, 06:17 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,300,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Nope, I complained about him forcing them (Goldman, JPM, Morgan Stanley) to accept bailout funds so as not to stigmatize Citi et al.

Doesn't matter, TARP has been paid back. We are $33 billion in the hole to support the UAW.
We are not $33 billion in the hole. We have $33 billion in risk capital in GM stock. As it stands today the government will recoup a profit. Nobody know if that is the case six months from now that's why it's called "Risk Capital".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 06:18 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
I am amused by all the right wing supporters of big business getting all upset about the way a big business is distributing its profit. I can only hope that the US Government, as a major stockholder, has a seat on GM's Board and had some input into this profit sharing decision. This is the way PRIVATE business works. If you want to have a say buy a lot of stock. Unlike government where, theoretically, one person has only one vote; in corporate governance one share has one vote so the people having the most shares have the most control. Our government fails because it has effectively adopted the corporate system so one political contributor has many more votes than a regular citizen.

There also seems to be a class bias against blue collar workers getting any share of the profit. It seems to me that the Right Wing wants profit sharing bonuses to be limited to white collar (and race) employees with any extra going towards dividends for the (also predominately white) shareholders. My response is try getting your collective asses on a production line and see if you last more than a week. IMHO hard work deserves the profit sharing much more then the cubical bound white collar.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:19 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
Quote:
It is money from the US treasury, that has not been repaid. You have no basis for thinking we will walk away with a profit.

It doesn't have to be "paid back", that's the point you're missing. The government bought shares of stock with that $33B. The government is free to sell those shares whenever they wish. There is no way GM can force them to sell, and since the Gov bought something with that money, THERE IS NOTHING TO BE PAID BACK.

If you buy $300 worth of IBM stock, does IBM then owe you $300? Absolutely not. I don't see why you think GM does.

I hope the "we" you're alluding to in your statement above is the Fed Gov. Because, whether the Gov sells that stock for a profit or not, we - you and I - are never going to see any of that money. You do realize that, right?

Old 02-15-2011, 06:22 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
It doesn't have to be "paid back", that's the point you're missing. The government bought shares of stock with that $33B. The government is free to sell those shares whenever they wish. There is no way GM can force them to sell, and since the Gov bought something with that money, THERE IS NOTHING TO BE PAID BACK.

If you buy $300 worth of IBM stock, does IBM then owe you $300? Absolutely not. I don't see why you think GM does.

I hope the "we" you're alluding to in your statement above is the Fed Gov. Because, whether the Gov sells that stock for a profit or not, we - you and I - are never going to see any of that money. You do realize that, right?
No, the government bought an interest in the company.
The IPO was issuance of stock and the USG sold 1/2 of it's interest via that stock. The USG is not holding shares of GM..they have a vested $$$ interest in GM.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:28 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
Then I've misunderstood the agreement between GM and the Fed Gov all along. Can you explain what "bought an interest in" means? I thought, evidently incorrectly, that the only way to "buy an interest" in a publicly traded company was to buy stock.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
GM Earns $2 Billion, Projects 2010 Profit - TheStreet

General Motors reported net income attributable to stockholders of $2 billion in the third quarter, its third consecutive profitable quarter, and said it will be profitable for the full year.
There you go again with those damn facts.

Don't you know that facts have no place in Conservative ideology?

Old 02-15-2011, 06:37 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,750,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
We are not $33 billion in the hole. We have $33 billion in risk capital in GM stock. As it stands today the government will recoup a profit. Nobody know if that is the case six months from now that's why it's called "Risk Capital".
Nope, the stock has to hit $53 to break even trading at $36.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Creative destruction.

Creative destruction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Moral hazard.

Moral hazard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is nothing to prevent the auto companies from finding themselves in the exact same place they were pre bailout. Wall street on the other hand has regulations out the wahzoo.
There WILL be another financial crises. And it will probably be in reference to something not covered by current government regulations.

Why?

The elemment of risk an essential part of a capitalist economic system. Also there is an element of greed. As long as there are those two factors at play in the investment and finaicial community there is an opportunity for a meltdown of some sort.

Also Wall Street will develop financial instruments or investment or speculative pracitices in the future that present government regulations won't account for.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:42 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,750,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post

Of course it has to be repaid, the debt isn't going to disappear from the treasury balance sheet.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I know! Its beyond your capacity.

Don't worry, I'm not holding my breath for that to change.
What gets me is I have yet to hear ANYBODY that has complained about GM workers getting bonuses complain about government subsidies corporations receive every year or corporate tax loopholes that allow corporations to reduce there tax burden by the billions.

Where's the outrage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies