Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 09:55 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
But you are so young. I had graduated from college before Hawaii became a state so when I was in elementary school surely it was not a State.
Considering that I was born the year Eisenhower was elected president I'll take that as a compliment.

Still, I do stand by what I said...I've never heard anybody refer to Hawaii as abroad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 01:04 PM

26,582 posts, read 14,449,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
What if the birthers are right?
which ones?...

the ones that believe he was born in kenya?
the only evidence to date of that is an admitted forged BC from a prankster and another BC being promoted by a convicted forger.

the ones that believe he became an indonesian citizen?
that's easy to check with just a couple basic web-searches. obama was never eligible for indonesian citizenship.

the ones that believe in the "2 citizen parent" theory?
to date not a single constitutional scholar has backed this theory.

if, for some reason, obama was to be found ineligible congress would hold an impeachment hearing, more than likely obama would be impeached and joe biden would become president. all decisions made by obama would remain intact. there is no magic "null and void" clause in the constitution.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:29 PM

860 posts, read 2,205,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I don't like being called that name, idiot. I guess that makes me turn you in for calling me that name. Naw, I won't unless you do it again.
LMAO! Coming out of the woodwork?

Old 02-16-2011, 08:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
My daughter's college, St. Olaf College, placed Hawaii in the same category as study abroad. I don't know why they did so; you'd have to ask them. However, for the birthers to be so desperate that they use some college's internal policies to justify their idea that Obama was not born in the US is hilarious. Ditto for the birthers who post these silly dictionary defintions of "abroad". The only definition that matters is the legal definition, and legally, Hawaii was a US state when Obama was born there. Ever since it became obvious to all but the nuttiest birthers that it simply wasn't possible for Obama to have been born in Kenya, birthers have tried to make O. "ineligible though born in Hawaii".

Old 02-16-2011, 09:00 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
They're not.

Next question?
How bout' them democratic "truthers?"

source

Quote:
Truther Denial
Posted by David Paul Kuhn | Email This | Permalink | Email Author
The Democratic Strategist's James Vega has a bad case of denial regarding the ideological fringe within his camp.

Vega has written two critiques in so many weeks about a recent column of mine headlined “Both Parties Have Their Fanatics.â€

In the second piece, on Thursday, Vega termed the column “a particularly nasty commentary.†The part he saw as “nasty†was the part referring to Democratic ideologues, because he appears ideological in his belief that conservatives have more radical ideologues.

In Vega's first write up he accused me of asserting that the Democratic fringe was “nuttier†than the Republican fringe. He argued that my column implied:

Democrats are not only nuttier than Republicans, but the liberal media, as usual, is giving them a free pass.

I don't believe either party has a greater purchase on radicalism. That was the entire point of my column. It's why I rounded off that there is an “ideological third†in both camps, despite one poll giving the impression that Democrats had more radicals.

In that column, I compared the “birther†conspiracy theorists to the “truther†conspiracy theorists. Vega's general critique was that the comparison amounted to false equivalence.

Here is how I led my piece:

Fully 35 percent of Democrats believe George W. Bush had advance knowledge of the 9/11 terrorist attacks. Fully 28 percent of Republicans believe Barack Obama wasn't born in the United States

Meet the fanatical third

The tale of two conspiracy theories is the tale of the most polarized among us. The two statistics are based on a poll apiece. Neither is an exact measure. Yet, lots of liberals say take the "birther" poll on face value. Lots of conservatives say take the "truther" poll on face value. So let's listen to both sides ...

I used qualifiers because a singular poll, on so contentious of a point, is imperfect at best. I never wrote of the Rasmussen “truther†poll until recently because it seemed inconclusive.

But I don't enjoy suffering soapbox politics from any political camp. The lecturing from some liberals, and the wider media, on “birthers†begged some, well, let he who is without fanatics cast the first stone.......

Old 02-16-2011, 09:03 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,272,509 times
Quote:
All birth certificates are "short forms." Some are just shorter than others. Hawaii's is very short... but not the shortest.

New York's COLB/BC is by far the shortest one I've seen. All it has is name of the baby, place of birth, date of birth, the embossed seal, signature of the registrar and a date of when it's filed

Not even parental information is included on theirs.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:24 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
How bout' them democratic "truthers?"

source
Off topic.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:11 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
obama was never eligible for indonesian citizenship.
I find that difficult to accept given that his mother married an Indonesian citizen. That gives right of citizenship in almost all countries.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:12 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
They're not.

Next question?
Quite the smug dismissal.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:49 PM

26,582 posts, read 14,449,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I find that difficult to accept given that his mother married an Indonesian citizen. That gives right of citizenship in almost all countries.
A foreign citizen can apply to become an Indonesian citizen with the following requirements:

-being the age of 18 years or older, or being married
-when applying, having resided in Indonesian for a minimum of 5 consecutive years or 10 non consecutive years
-physically and mentally healthy
-can speak the Indonesian language and acknowledge Pancasila and Undang-Undang Dasar Negara Republik Indonesia Tahun 1945
-never convicted of a crime for which the punishment is imprisonment for one year or more
-if having Indonesian citizenship will not give the person dual citizenship
-employed or have fixed income

obama was under 18, only lived in the country 4years and he would have had to renounce his US citizenship. something the state department does not allow a child that young to do.

nothing his mother or lolo could have done could have affected his citizenship status.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies