Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2011, 01:44 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Sorry but my post was either misunderstood and/or misquoted by you because nowhere in any of my posts did I state (nor imply) that the American reporter "deserved" what happened to her.

I do believe however that she was needlessly placed in harm's way. I don't expect those who have not traveled to Arab nations to understand but women can not go about doing things "our way" just because we are Americans. Those that do will sometimes have some unfortunate things occur. It is important to respect the cultural rules of other nations and not attempt to flaunt our standards in their faces.
Yes, by saying she should not have been doing her job or she wouldn't have been sexually assaulted is saying she got what she asked for, saying she deserved it . Blaming the victim.

Oh, I know women , according to you , should have no choice in what they do, but they do, they're adults..

You just can't understand that women can and have been raped in THEIR OWN HOMES...they shouldn't have been there according to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
No, I base that on her own statements to Charlie Rose, and her and others treatment on her previous visit. Whether it be a man or a women, CBS well knew the immediate danger she and her crew had previously been in. She pretty much stated if they think your a spy
for Israel - it's a death warrant.

Bob Woodruff was in the accompaniment the U.S. 4th Infantry Division. Woodruff was standing with his head above a hatch, filming. Poor judgment on his part. He was wearing body armor and a protective helmet at the time so they clearly had prepared him for being in that immediate area.

For CBS to put a reporter, any reporter, in that area, so soon, after clearly knowing they had become a target, I think was very irresponsible of the news agency. Once again - doesn't matter if it had been a woman or a man -

'Everywhere we went we were approached by people,’ she said at the time. ‘We were accused of being more than journalists, very frightening suggestions were being made. Suggestions that really could be very dangerous for us.
We were accused of being Israeli spies. We were accused of being agents. We were accused of everything." - Lara
Logan

Those type of accusations should never be second guessed
as to the danger of that, by any news agency. It's a misnomer that reporters make the final call.
So you advocate getting no news from anywhere in the world....got it

Old 02-16-2011, 01:59 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Ah, so discrimination against women in the workforce is okay with you. Got it.
No, this has nothing to do with discrimination against women, and more to do with poor judgment of a news agency.

Being accused of spying, is enough to take a step
back.

I think CBS jeopardized the safety of the entire crew. I think questions will be asked exactly about that at a later time.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:01 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
So you advocate getting no news from anywhere in the world....got it
Don't be ridiculous.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:07 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,931 times
Quote:

No, this has nothing to do with discrimination against women, and more to do with poor judgment of a news agency.

Being accused of spying, is enough to take a step
back.

I think CBS jeopardized the safety of the entire crew. I think questions will be asked exactly about that at a later time.
You didn't suggest that CBS should have prevented their entire crew, both men and women, from going to Egypt to cover this story. You said that CBS should have prevented Ms. Logan, and only Ms. Logan, from going back to where they had reason to believe she wouldn't be safe.

That's discrimination in the workplace. Obviously you condone it.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Don't be ridiculous.
No, it isn't , THAT is what you posted....YOU posted that journalists should not go to dangerous places...well, DUH, that's where the news is

Last edited by Who?Me?!; 02-16-2011 at 02:21 PM..

Old 02-16-2011, 02:13 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Of course they do...WHY do think THIS reporter didn't? WHERE is that indicated????

Obviously you don't think women should have equal rights. You think they should cower in fear. You think "they asked for it". You think that no women are raped in America??

W H Y ??????? Show some facts!!!! Some stats!!

Obviously you think it's fine if MALE reporters are killed....why???????
Umm....#1. I am a woman....so yes, I do believe in equality. But I am not a feminist.

#2. I am not naive enough to think that American norms can be imposed upon each and every culture around the world.

#3. I believe that no woman, anywhere, every should be violated sexually. However, it is unrealistic to think that an unprotected, naked woman on a prison yard full of men wouldn't be raped simply because she shouldn't be.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:17 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
#3. I believe that no woman, anywhere, every should be violated sexually. However, it is unrealistic to think that an unprotected, naked woman on a prison yard full of men wouldn't be raped simply because she shouldn't be.
Yes, but....we are always wiser with hindsight, especially as armchair experts. And we can still be outraged about it. And we can quit blaming the victims so much.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
You didn't suggest that CBS should have prevented their entire crew, both men and women, from going to Egypt to cover this story. You said that CBS should have prevented Ms. Logan, and only Ms. Logan, from going back to where they had reason to believe she wouldn't be safe.

That's discrimination in the workplace. Obviously you condone it.
It is pathetic that some posters have no education when it comes to history....they believe that women should've all just stayed in the cave.

They do not believe that women should have boarded big ships, set sail across a big scary ocean with it's inherent dangers, not knowing what to expect in the "new land" they were headed for.
They believe women should not have gotten in to those big covered wagons and settled this country because something "bad" might happen...they believe those women should've stayed where it was "safe"...Sad to know there are women with no courage or backbone who disparage those that do and did have it....

Last edited by Who?Me?!; 02-16-2011 at 02:42 PM..

Old 02-16-2011, 02:20 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
NEWS FLASH:

Journalist with Ms. Logan's experience know the risks and as a result there isn't a news editor in the world that would force such an experienced journalist to cover a story that they felt was too dangerous. If CBS has unilaterally attempted to pull Ms Logan from the assignment, and if she is like any foreign correspondent male or female that I have ever run across, CBS would have had to hire security just for the editor that would attempt it. So CBS did the next best thing, they hired a security team for the crew, unfortunately the security team was inept and incompetent since the reports that I have read state that they lost Ms. Logan in the crowd well before the assault when she became separated from the rest of the crew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies