Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 01:25 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,223,823 times

Advertisements

Incident report from Virginia:

After work I stopped by the Walmart to pick up a TV for my girlfriend. After circling the whole store in search of the bathroom before realizing it was right next to the entrance, I made my way back to the Electronics section and picked out a TV quickly. I wanted a midsize Vizio, so I chose the 37" 1080p Eco model. I purchased the TV with my debit card at one of the rear registers about 20 feet away, and walked to the front of the store carrying the box in both hands. I made it through the first set of doors into the front atrium of the store, but before reaching the outer doors I heard a man say "Sir?" I turned and faced Tony, the receipt checker.
Tony: May I see your receipt?
Me: No thanks!
Tony: Oh, ok.

I turned and continued walking towards to automatic doors. Tony called again, so I turned back.
Tony: No, I need to see your receipt.
Me: No thank you!
Tony: What do you mean?
Me: I mean no thanks; I'm walking to my car with my purchase.
Tony: Well, I need to see your receipt.
Me: I just purchased this TV in the back of the store. I don't need to show you a receipt.
Tony: Yes, you need to show me your receipt.
Me: Actually, state law dictates that once I pay for something, I don't need to show ownership of it. I just paid for this TV, the receipt is in my pocket, but my hands are full, and I don't feel like getting it out. I'm going to leave now, thank you.

At this point Tony has positioned himself between me and the door. As I step towards the door he places his hand on the box in my hands and lightly pushes back, preventing me from moving.

(More at the link about the resolution by the store manager...)

Calm Man Successfully Buys TV And Denies Walmart Receipt Checkers - The Consumerist

What's worrisome here is the training store employees have received when encountering resistance from a customer during the receipt-check process. "Pushing back" could be construed as assault and opens up a whole new can of worms about escalating the situation and involving the police.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 01:42 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
Incident report from Virginia:

After work I stopped by the Walmart to pick up a TV for my girlfriend. After circling the whole store in search of the bathroom before realizing it was right next to the entrance, I made my way back to the Electronics section and picked out a TV quickly. I wanted a midsize Vizio, so I chose the 37" 1080p Eco model. I purchased the TV with my debit card at one of the rear registers about 20 feet away, and walked to the front of the store carrying the box in both hands. I made it through the first set of doors into the front atrium of the store, but before reaching the outer doors I heard a man say "Sir?" I turned and faced Tony, the receipt checker.
Tony: May I see your receipt?
Me: No thanks!
Tony: Oh, ok.

I turned and continued walking towards to automatic doors. Tony called again, so I turned back.
Tony: No, I need to see your receipt.
Me: No thank you!
Tony: What do you mean?
Me: I mean no thanks; I'm walking to my car with my purchase.
Tony: Well, I need to see your receipt.
Me: I just purchased this TV in the back of the store. I don't need to show you a receipt.
Tony: Yes, you need to show me your receipt.
Me: Actually, state law dictates that once I pay for something, I don't need to show ownership of it. I just paid for this TV, the receipt is in my pocket, but my hands are full, and I don't feel like getting it out. I'm going to leave now, thank you.

At this point Tony has positioned himself between me and the door. As I step towards the door he places his hand on the box in my hands and lightly pushes back, preventing me from moving.

(More at the link about the resolution by the store manager...)

Calm Man Successfully Buys TV And Denies Walmart Receipt Checkers - The Consumerist

What's worrisome here is the training store employees have received when encountering resistance from a customer during the receipt-check process. "Pushing back" could be construed as assault and opens up a whole new can of worms about escalating the situation and involving the police.
People like this make me shake my head. What was the big deal? You're buying a big ticket item, you purchased it from the back of the store; what is the big deal about just showing them the receipt? He turned something that would have taken 2 seconds into a huge ordeal. Now I do realize that the employee was 100% incorrect for putting his hands on him but seriously it is that big of a deal?

Old 03-14-2011, 09:05 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,128,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
People like this make me shake my head. What was the big deal? You're buying a big ticket item, you purchased it from the back of the store; what is the big deal about just showing them the receipt? He turned something that would have taken 2 seconds into a huge ordeal. Now I do realize that the employee was 100% incorrect for putting his hands on him but seriously it is that big of a deal?

Yeah it kind of is a BIG DEAL when you are taking away someones rights just because you cannot properly SECURE you store.

You should have a better system than attempting to FORCE your patrons who DO pay to show a receipt while the sticky fingered punks take 5 finger discounts and are ignored by security.

Undercovers play a pivotal role in this and if you are too cheap to hire good ones than you are SOL because I will NOT show my receipt unless you catch me in a good mood. PERIOD. I LOVE a good confrontation, especially when I know I am right and my rights are being violated.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:48 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
Merchants have no legal standing for engaging in this practice. They have a right to refuse entry into their establishment, assuming they are not refusing access to someone based upon their membership in a legally protected class. They also have the right to refuse to sell you a given item. However, once they have granted you access and accepted your payment for merchandise; that merchandise belongs to you, and they have no right to invade your privacy by inspecting your personal property.

This happened to my once at a Best Buy...a company I no longer patronize. I was asked to show my receipt. I refused and was followed out to my car and asked again. I told the kid that he was welcome to call the police if he felt that I had stolen any merchandise. He went back in the store, I went home. This practice is not only annoying, it is demeaning and embarrassing to the customer. Retail stores have dozens of high-tech cameras throughout the premises, as well as numerous sales associates who are observing customers on the floor. If they observe you shoplifting, they have a legitimate reason to detain you. Otherwise they do not.
I agree with all of this. I refuse to allow my receipt to be checked at all stores except for Fry's, and only because my local one will ban you if you don't consent to be checked and I'm a frequent shopper there. Bad, I know.

I'm not a Sam's or Costco member so that isn't an issue.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:30 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
I can see how it might be annoying, but the alternative is to make cheking out less convenient for the shopper so take your pick. It's loss control, and it's going to be done one way or another.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:42 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,523,004 times
I've seen Home Depot do this for many years much more so than any other of the stores mentioned (Best Buy, Walmart), but usually it was when the theft alarm thing by the door rang (which was constantly.... I've never seen those alarms ring so much in any store, as I have at Home Depot). Though the checks were usually related to when the alarm rings, and not so much as a check of everyone, or of random people, who leave.

I've seen Walmart do it a few times, but more often than not the greeter lets you pass on by.

I'm almost surprised Best Buy doesn't do this much more actively given the expensive merchandise in the store, combined with what I find to be the overall pesky atmosphere of going into that store with all their stupid salesmen everywhere hovering about you as you walk into different departments (though I guess some people like when salesman are "helpful"... can't please everyone.... I find them pesky and badgering). I was never sure if this was because they work on commission, or just because they are taught to be vigilant of people taking five finger discounts.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:04 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
If I'm at a place that checks receipts like WalMart or Sams I always ask for a duplicate receipt at the register. I put the original in my wallet for return or warranty purposes and I hand the duplicate to the person checking at the door then just continue to walk on out the door while they follow me to the parking lot to give it back to me.

It's always been a pet peeve of mine, once I've paid you for the products that I purchased from you they're mine and asking for my receipt at the door as I exit is accusing me of stealing no matter how you word it. WalMart greeters won't do anything if you just walk past them, they're not allowed to. I've had them send a security guard into the parking lot to confront me but once I'm outside loading things into my car I make it very clear that they're no longer of any significance to me. I carry a concealed weapon and anyone who tries to assault me or unlawfully put me under arrest will get shot, period.
I'll try the duplicate receipt thing next time I'm at Sam's. That annoys the crap out of me to have to wait 5 minutes to get out of the store if the line is backed up. If I've paid I should be able to leave.

It also annoys me to be asked to flash my card at the time I walk in. I have to use it to pay...why should they care if I have it? It's not like it's an exlusive country club that people are sneaking into.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:23 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomThroughAnarchism View Post
I've seen Home Depot do this for many years much more so than any other of the stores mentioned (Best Buy, Walmart), but usually it was when the theft alarm thing by the door rang (which was constantly.... I've never seen those alarms ring so much in any store, as I have at Home Depot). Though the checks were usually related to when the alarm rings, and not so much as a check of everyone, or of random people, who leave.

I've seen Walmart do it a few times, but more often than not the greeter lets you pass on by.

I'm almost surprised Best Buy doesn't do this much more actively given the expensive merchandise in the store, combined with what I find to be the overall pesky atmosphere of going into that store with all their stupid salesmen everywhere hovering about you as you walk into different departments (though I guess some people like when salesman are "helpful"... can't please everyone.... I find them pesky and badgering). I was never sure if this was because they work on commission, or just because they are taught to be vigilant of people taking five finger discounts.
The biggest problem with theft in these stores comes from their employees, not their customers. I pay absolutely no attention to those door alarms. If they want to charge me for shoplifting they had better have good cause, or I will sue them for defamation.

I signed a contract with Costco that requires me to provide them with a receipt for my purchases before I leave their store. I did not sign a contract with any other store, and I am not obligated to prove anything to anybody.

If they lay their hands on me, for any reason, that is assault. If they falsely accuse me of shoplifting, that is defamation. In either case, I guarantee that it will cost the store in question a great deal more than the price of my purchases.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:27 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I'll try the duplicate receipt thing next time I'm at Sam's. That annoys the crap out of me to have to wait 5 minutes to get out of the store if the line is backed up. If I've paid I should be able to leave.

It also annoys me to be asked to flash my card at the time I walk in. I have to use it to pay...why should they care if I have it? It's not like it's an exlusive country club that people are sneaking into.
Actually, Sam's Club is an exclusive club. Just like Costco. Only accessible to its members. If you do not have a Sam's Club or Costco membership, you cannot shop at their stores.

You might also want to re-read your membership agreement. You agreed to provide them a receipt for your purchases when you became a member.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:29 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,347,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
If I'm at a place that checks receipts like WalMart or Sams I always ask for a duplicate receipt at the register. I put the original in my wallet for return or warranty purposes and I hand the duplicate to the person checking at the door then just continue to walk on out the door while they follow me to the parking lot to give it back to me.

It's always been a pet peeve of mine, once I've paid you for the products that I purchased from you they're mine and asking for my receipt at the door as I exit is accusing me of stealing no matter how you word it. WalMart greeters won't do anything if you just walk past them, they're not allowed to. I've had them send a security guard into the parking lot to confront me but once I'm outside loading things into my car I make it very clear that they're no longer of any significance to me. I carry a concealed weapon and anyone who tries to assault me or unlawfully put me under arrest will get shot, period.
I teach firearms classes and I cc 24/7 365. I'm telling you right now that if you shoot someone for trying to check your receipt it's not going to end well for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies