Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 10:31 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
State level is more difficult, because one can move out of the state when they require services. If other states showed a level of reciprocity similar to CCP, then I'd be for it.
Thank you for a proper response. It makes me curious about why you think a state’s own laws should be dictated by other states. If a government has to operate within the means provided by its populace using a formula, why can’t the idea be applied to a state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 10:34 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,853,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
But more importantly, the topic was about paying a one-time 10% of income in taxes to let the federal government do its job for the rest of the life. Do you support such idea implemented at state level?
That's not what the topic was about and never did anyone including Ron Paul say that you pay a one-time 10% for your entire life. The idea is that you pay a 10% federal income tax and that allows you to opt out of all social programs and entitlement programs.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Not really, he's been fighting the same sorts of fights on the state level in TX for years. I'm much more inclined to pay taxes that I know go towards my state and not to the feds.
Considering that Texas is considered a "conservative" heaven, does it then surprise you that nobody's listening to him? Why do you think that is?

As for money going towards your state versus your country (assuming you're not the secessionist I spotted twice on I-20 and Collins in Arlington last weekend ), why do you believe that you should never question your state government and that it cannot have draconian laws and corruption?

Old 02-16-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
That's not what the topic was about and never did anyone including Ron Paul say that you pay a one-time 10% for your entire life. The idea is that you pay a 10% federal income tax and that allows you to opt out of all social programs and entitlement programs.
You mean 10% of the income a year? Does it also include corporations-are-us? Does it entail removing all deductions (mortgage, children, charity, local/state sales tax, health insurance...)? In other words, the idea of flat tax?

Old 02-16-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Considering that Texas is considered a "conservative" heaven, does it then surprise you that nobody's listening to him? Why do you think that is?

As for money going towards your state versus your country (assuming you're not the secessionist I spotted twice on I-20 and Collins in Arlington last weekend ), why do you believe that you should never question your state government and that it cannot have draconian laws and corruption?
Tons of people in TX and all the other states are listening to him, millions of people listened to him during the 2008 elections.

I believe that you should always question the gov, whether it's on a state level or a federal level.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
You mean 10% of the income a year? Does it also include corporations-are-us? Does it entail removing all deductions (mortgage, children, charity, local/state sales tax, health insurance...)? In other words, the idea of flat tax?
I have no idea, he wasn't talking to or about corporations in that video clip so why don't you find out for yourself? If you want more details then find out and report back to us, why do you expect some of us to have all the answers to your questions?

Old 02-16-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
I have no idea, he wasn't talking to or about corporations in that video clip so why don't you find out for yourself? If you want more details then find out and report back to us, why do you expect some of us to have all the answers to your questions?
I can't watch video clips. But I assumed you have, so you would have the answers to my questions. Do you?

Quote:
Tons of people in TX and all the other states are listening to him, millions of people listened to him during the 2008 elections.

I believe that you should always question the gov, whether it's on a state level or a federal level.
"Listening" is as useful as a lip service. What and who are stopping the implementation of the ideas? But I'm glad you agree with me on questioning the government as an entity rather than picking and choosing between federal and state. I was worried about it for a moment.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
I can't watch video clips. But I assumed you have, so you would have the answers to my questions. Do you?
I don't have any of the answers for your questions because none of that was addressed in the short clip that this thread is talking about... which leads me to ask you, why are you even commenting on a thread when you can't watch the video clip that it's based on?

Old 02-16-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
I don't have any of the answers for your questions because none of that was addressed in the short clip that this thread is talking about... which leads me to ask you, why are you even commenting on a thread when you can't watch the video clip that it's based on?
I'm debating the arguments placed on this thread. Is that something you're not doing? What is stopping you from clarifying?

Quote:

"Listening" is as useful as a lip service. What and who are stopping the implementation of the ideas? But I'm glad you agree with me on questioning the government as an entity rather than picking and choosing between federal and state. I was worried about it for a moment.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:45 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,214,487 times
I think you are reading way too much into this, it was just an example about what some young people would prefer, not a proposal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies