Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 10:08 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,096,532 times

Advertisements

The "curveball" source who made it into over 100 U.S. reports on WMD's and into Sec. of State Colin Powell's U.N. address admits to lying in order to get Sadam Hussein out of power.'Curveball': I lied about WMD to hasten Iraq war - World news - Mideast/N. Africa - msnbc.com
Quote:
An Iraqi defector who went by the codename “Curveball” has publicly admitted for the first time that he made up stories about mobile bioweapons trucks and secret factories to try to bring down Saddam Hussein’s regime.
"I had a problem with the Saddam regime," Rafid Ahmed Alwan al-Janabi, who fled Iraq in 1995, told The Guardian newspaper. "I wanted to get rid of him and now I had this chance."
Quote:
Tyler Drumheller, the former head of the CIA in Europe, said Curveball's admission made him feel better about himself.
Drumheller, who says he warned his superiors at the CIA before the 2003 invasion that Curveball might be a liar, said the confession would be a final wake-up call for those who continue to insist there had been weapons of mass destruction.
"The interesting part for me is that he has recanted what he said, which is fascinating in the sense that I think there are still a number of people who still thought there was something in that. Even now," Drumheller told the Guardian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 11:54 PM

46,964 posts, read 26,005,972 times
This is my complete lack of surprise. The German intelligence service warned of that exact thing, before the damn war.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:09 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,096,532 times
Even w/in the CIA people warned that the guy's intel didn't match up w/ other sources.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:02 AM

37,227 posts, read 19,219,451 times
Why would he come forward and admit to cooking the books, knowing full well he might be putting his life in danger? I think he may have been sent out to fall on his sword in an atempt to keep the investigations from going too deep.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:11 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,304,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Why would he come forward and admit to cooking the books, knowing full well he might be putting his life in danger? I think he may have been sent out to fall on his sword in an atempt to keep the investigations from going too deep.
Who going to kill him? I mean really, it's generally accepted by all but the most gullible and idealistically blind Conservatives that the whole WMD thing was a lie.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:09 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,196,176 times
Why shouldn't anyone care that one of the sources US intelligence even warned against as being credible was used to justify the invasion of another country that cost us thousands of lives and a trillion dollars?

How many Rafid Ahmed Alwan al-Janabi are out there right now saying Iran has an advanced program and seeks to see mushroom clouds over New York? How many in the press are going to point out these things before they happen?

Old 02-17-2011, 08:35 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,550,307 times
Default Iraq WMD source "curveball" admits to lying about WMD's

He has plenty of company.

Liars

Old 02-17-2011, 11:19 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,116,982 times
Durrr. Carnegie institute found that out way back in 2004.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:59 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Old news. I thought the WMD thing was a lie before it was fashionable to say so.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:28 PM

46,964 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Old news. I thought the WMD thing was a lie before it was fashionable to say so.
Heh. I actually thought that Iraq would have a few thousand Katyusha rounds with chemical warheads somewhere - it would be logical as a defensive measure against unfriendly neighbors whose armies would conceivably have less-than-perfect NBC training.

The idea that anything in Iraq's arsenal somehow could constitute a war-worthy threat to US or allies, on the other hand, was ridiculous. As was the thought of Iraq handing a strategic asset like that to a terrorist group.

And as Fox got themselves worked into frothing hysterics over underground lairs and mobile germ labs, it became obvious that they didn't give a damn about a realistic assessment, anyway. They had some fear to sell, and they sold it well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies