Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 12:25 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,981,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Whores, politicians....the words are interchangeable these days.
You left out thugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 01:36 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,725,067 times
It looks like General Butler's predictions finally came true

Business Plot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-19-2011, 05:55 PM

1,432 posts, read 1,093,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
That ^^^^ sounds like a personal attack.....because it is a personal attack. What is NOT personal about telling ME that I have "nothing to offer"?

Now, TELL ME WHY unions need to be broken and discarded. Where do you get the idea that TODAY management and business owners are not even more "self-interested" than they were back in the days prior to unions? Me thinks that some people, many people, in fact, are just plain being totally duped by the wealthy folks out there like the Koch brothers. You're doing their dirty work in fact by attacking the unions as "private citizens".......

Btw, my parents and family taught me that it's really impolite and evidence of poor upbringing to discuss specifics regarding your income or wealth with strangers.
Sounds a little sensitive to me....I will tell you why -
1) People should be able to negotiate their own salaries, shouldn't have to depend on soeone else....only weak people need that, and if your weak in business, too bad
2) We can't afford a one size fits all approach, that bleeds the taxpayer, none of these benefits are worth my money - as taxpayer I am paying and I have decided to fire the incompetensts, need to get rid of these outdated rues so we can pay people what they are actually worth...and fire people more easily

Old 02-19-2011, 06:29 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,095,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secchamps98 View Post
Sounds a little sensitive to me....I will tell you why -
1) People should be able to negotiate their own salaries, shouldn't have to depend on soeone else....only weak people need that, and if your weak in business, too bad
2) We can't afford a one size fits all approach, that bleeds the taxpayer, none of these benefits are worth my money - as taxpayer I am paying and I have decided to fire the incompetensts, need to get rid of these outdated rues so we can pay people what they are actually worth...and fire people more easily
Spoken like a true Ayn Rand devotee...

You have a right to VOTE in elections for people to REPRESENT YOU. THEY make the decisions. Not you. You can "fire" elected officials by NOT VOTING FOR THEM, but that's it.

The average individual does NOT have any power to negotiate salaries with BIG CORPORATIONS or with government regardless of what you think they "should" be able to do. How amazingly silly that you should even
suggest that. This is not the "Atlas Shrugged" movie.

I find it amusing that right-wingers immediately make an assumption that if someone is supportive of unions that they must be totally stupid when it comes to business and politics and they quickly make their responses very personal!

Old 02-19-2011, 06:39 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,293,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
"The fact is, Walker is carrying out the wishes of his corporate master, David Koch, who calls the tune these days for Wisconsin Republicans. Walker is just one among many Wisconsin Republicans supported by Koch Industries -- run by David Koch and his brother, Charles -- and Americans For Prosperity, the astroturf group founded and funded by David Koch. The Koch brothers are hell-bent on destroying the labor movement once and for all."

Wisconsin Is a Battleground Against the Billionaire Kochs' Plan to Break Labor's Back | News & Politics | AlterNet

Yep, Wisconsin Republicans should be mighty proud of their elected Republicans.
Don't know of the Koch brothers, but if they've been pushing the end of unions in government (which has become a corrupt monopoly), then good for them.
They are a bigger problem than the endless social problems at this point.
Fire at least half of government employees for starters IMO.
Null and void all retirements beyond SS, except for fire, police and military IMO.
These unions bribed their way to larger numbers, King like pay, benefits and retirements.
They make BIG CORPORATIONS look like amateurs IMO.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:55 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,327,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post
Have you ever noticed how much cooler people are online. City Data is chock full of apparently wealthy members who have achieved such success that they can spend all day pontificating on this board. Me... I'm also obscenely wealthy. Who's going to call me on it?
Oh, my god, that's so true. Around 8% of the US population self employed (truly self employed as in it is their sole income source) and yet virtually every conservative here claims they are self employed, independently wealthy, and have a PHd. The entire US population of self employed people with advanced degrees must post here as conservative; either that or the vast majority of them are just plain lying.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:48 AM

419 posts, read 466,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Barrack Obama was bought by Soros, GE, Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan, Google and labor unions, to name but a few. Where is the outrage?

Oh, please, as if Bush wasn't handed the presidency on a silver platter by republicans on the Supreme Court. And as if the Koch Brothers haven't bought up every republican politician. As if Murdoch hasn't manipulated the news 24/7 on Fake News. Money buys all the influence you can get --- ON BOTH SIDES.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:47 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,031,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
I'm all for them breaking the union's backs if they can. The unions have been taken over by radical leftists/communist thugs.
They are no longer needed in the public
sector. Unions had a purpose at one time - now we have so
many state and federal labor laws on the books. OverKill. Has nothing to do with communism.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Oh, my god, that's so true. Around 8% of the US population self employed (truly self employed as in it is their sole income source) and yet virtually every conservative here claims they are self employed, independently wealthy, and have a PHd. The entire US population of self employed people with advanced degrees must post here as conservative; either that or the vast majority of them are just plain lying.
Quite a few self employed physicians And wait until they
go on strike when Congress doesn't come up with a
Doc fix for Medicare - oh wait - they don't have a union

Teachers want to be considered professionals - get out of
a labor union - join the BIG LEAGUES

Old 02-20-2011, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
Spoken like a true Ayn Rand devotee...

You have a right to VOTE in elections for people to REPRESENT YOU. THEY make the decisions. Not you. You can "fire" elected officials by NOT VOTING FOR THEM, but that's it.

The average individual does NOT have any power to negotiate salaries with BIG CORPORATIONS or with government regardless of what you think they "should" be able to do. How amazingly silly that you should even
suggest that. This is not the "Atlas Shrugged" movie.

I find it amusing that right-wingers immediately make an assumption that if someone is supportive of unions that they must be totally stupid when it comes to business and politics and they quickly make their responses very personal!
This is a public sector union. It has no comparison to it's
private enterprise counterpart. Harley Davidson had over
300 employee layoffs. If you want collective bargaining
power - 6000 plus teacher layoffs are in order - don't you
think. If you want to be a "real union" dealing as a
business. It's called "how can YOU help my bottom line."

Last edited by pollyrobin; 02-20-2011 at 03:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies