Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 08:21 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,039,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Wisconsin ACT scores still aren't bad. In fact it beats all the states that do not allow collective bargaining hands down in both ACT and SAT. (SC, VA, NC, GA, TX) Even thought those states often have lower participation rates.
Once again, Wisconsin SAT scores are irrelevant. Only 5% of students take the test, you have to independently seek out that test in WI, only the best students will probably take it. This is true across the board, the top 24 states for the SAT all have low participation.

Every state you mentioned has low ACT participation, which was my original point that they focus on preparing students for the SAT exclusively. States where the focus is on the SAT are out of sync with the ACT and perform worse on it.

For the record, I have first hand experience in two of the SAT-centric states you mentioned. In high school I paid the extra fee to take the ACT. I will not say it was easier, but it was certainly different. One of the biggest factors was the focus on science and math with the ACT. Going to a school that prepares you for the SAT, there is extreme emphasis on vocabulary, grammar, writing, etc. Science and math were lacking since they are not heavy on the SAT, which puts students in SAT-centric states at a disadvantage.

Rather sad actually, because more often than not, SAT-centric states focus on teaching the test and not on a well rounded curriculum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 08:23 PM

803 posts, read 1,267,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Less than 7% of Wisconsin students take the SAT. The ACT is much more popular, just like in most of the Midwest, with Wisconsin ranking 13th. Participation rate is 67% of students for the ACT.
pwned

the ones who do take the SATs in Wisconsin do it on their own free will because they need to go to the top universities which require the SAT and prefer it over the SAT

Old 03-12-2011, 07:40 PM

919 posts, read 1,783,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
VA, NC, SC, GA, and TX are the states that forbid collective bargaining for state employees. My point is that relative to the other 45 states those that forbid collective bargaining are all clustered near the bottom.

I also did not withold any information, the states you posted on ACT were sufficient...I simply added SAT stats...Also the 5 states that ban collective bargaining have low participation in ACT. My attempt at racial comparison was simply to answer how more traditionally non-white states compare to eachother.
You made very good points, and I appreciate your posting of the states which outlaw collective bargaining for public workers. None of these states are in the top ten of academic achievement in the US, such as it is....

Old 03-12-2011, 07:47 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,576,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loloroj View Post
You made very good points, and I appreciate your posting of the states which outlaw collective bargaining for public workers. None of these states are in the top ten of academic achievement in the US, such as it is....
But even the best in the US is low in global comparison.
The US is #36 in math..on par with Latvia.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:48 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,772,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loloroj View Post

The Federal Government prohibits collective bargaining too. What's your point?

Old 03-12-2011, 09:38 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,271,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post

Rather sad actually, because more often than not, SAT-centric states focus on teaching the test and not on a well rounded curriculum.
Where did you get that from?

And exactly how do the schools do that?

Old 03-12-2011, 09:44 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,071,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
There are a lot of failed charter schools that did just that.
Would you happen to know the percentage of failed charter schools vs. the number of failed public schools? I'm not arguing, just asking. I'm kind of curious.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:44 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,314,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Wouldn't you agree that HS graduation rates does have something to do with teacher ability/dedication/education/etc?
Agreed! Any job that pays near the poverty line is not going to attract the most talented people. That's not an opinion, that's the reality. If you want better teachers, you have to increase teacher salaries and base their pay on performance and provide financial incentives for high scores.

The current system provides no incentive for teachers to improve. All it does is create a system in which you can be lazy and do the bare minimum.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:51 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,356,224 times
Ahem. Progressives never were very good at math.

iowahawk: Longhorns 17, Badgers 1

"...instead of chanting slogans in Madison, maybe it's time for Wisconsin teachers to take refresher lessons from their non-union counterparts in the Lone Star State." LOL

Old 03-12-2011, 10:58 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,314,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But even the best in the US is low in global comparison.
The US is #36 in math..on par with Latvia.
That's because in most countries, they ONLY teach math and science. If you were forced to take 4 different math courses each year since you were 7, you would do a lot better in math too. And if Japanese kids took 1 math class, 1 science class, 1 history, 1 art, 1 history, 1 physical education class, they would be lousy in math too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies