Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 06:57 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,694,556 times

Advertisements

Its time the Teachers on LI need to give back some of the ridiculous perks they have gained over the years.We the home owners can no longer afford the real estate tax burden we carry.Wisconsin is just the tip of the ice burg we need to get real here in NY.MO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 07:09 AM

929 posts, read 2,070,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlty View Post
Its time the Teachers on LI need to give back some of the ridiculous perks they have gained over the years.We the home owners can no longer afford the real estate tax burden we carry.Wisconsin is just the tip of the ice burg we need to get real here in NY.MO
Sorry, according to the unions, there are just no give backs to give back. After all, they're only get 3% raises this year and they need those to pay the high taxes that they've caused.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:00 AM

147 posts, read 371,928 times
Wisconsin isn't about the benefit cuts, its about the removal of collective bargaining agreements on all unions that didn't support the Governor's campaign. Given the choice between laying off 1000's of workers or taking a cut, any decent union will accept the cut on a temporary basis to help the community. However, if you take a cut and then say "you can't negotiate any raise beyond inflation", you have essentially limited any upward mobility. In my profession, if I was told that I couldn't get any pay increase beyond inflation for the remainder of my career, I would look for another job. Teaching is set up where schools aren't competing over the best teachers with 20 years experience, they are encouraged to stay put after they get tenure. The easiest way to fix the tax situation is to cut retirement benefits either by increasing the retirement age(65 is reasonable), having new teachers contribute more toward health benefits and pension, and keeping the focus on reducing administrative salaries. How many schools need two or more assistant principals making 200k/year? What about superintendents? Why is technology pushed so hard in schools these days without any real study on how they improve student performance(smart boards are completely useless, have the kids learn to take notes rather than downloading a copy off the web).

Old 02-20-2011, 08:42 AM

853 posts, read 1,446,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlty View Post
I would believe that Governor Walker's intentions weren't anything but fiscally conservative but for the fact that he is not proposing eliminating the collective bargaining rights of two unions: the police and firefighters. Interestingly enough, they were two unions that SUPPORTED his candidacy. It's all about the POLITICS!

Old 02-20-2011, 03:58 PM

74 posts, read 207,656 times
In my school district, we did take a pay cut as well as a freeze, but people still bash teachers and it does kind of still Moderator cut: language removed me off.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 02-20-2011 at 06:10 PM..

Old 02-20-2011, 04:30 PM

929 posts, read 2,070,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreciousMonster View Post
In my school district, we did take a pay cut as well as a freeze, but people still bash teachers and it does kind of still me off.
Go, take your Master's Degree and apply for positions in the private sector, then go back to your school and take a salary decrease until you are making the average of the private positions that offered you a position (if any do). Also, volunteer to pay 50% of your healthcare and 100% of your retirement like the rest of the private sector has been doing for 20 years.

That should quell the masses.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 02-20-2011 at 06:10 PM..

Old 02-20-2011, 04:59 PM

147 posts, read 371,928 times
50% of your healthcare and 100% of your retirement sounds like a lousy job. My first job in the private sector gave me at least matching on 6% of my 401k and my health benefits were great(I paid something like $200/month pretax for full coverage plus a health savings plan). With a Masters, particularly in science or engineering? I'd make a ton more private sector than if I were a teacher. And I get more respect doing an easier job as an engineer than if I had to sit in front of class of 30 self-important obnoxious brats trying to teach basic math and science( its definitely a good thing I didn't go into teaching). As a matter of fact, my private sector job paid for graduate degrees. The job market isn't great, but its certainly not bad for technical degrees. I'd argue its better now in the private sector versus public sector positions.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:33 PM

886 posts, read 2,650,712 times
Ugh.Are we really going to sit and bash teachers again? Borrrrring. How about we start bashing cops and firemen who retire 3/4 pay with 100% health coverage at age 44. Ooh nooo...we can't do that.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:45 PM

5,078 posts, read 3,978,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonlineli View Post
Go, take your Master's Degree and apply for positions in the private sector, then go back to your school and take a salary decrease until you are making the average of the private positions that offered you a position (if any do). Also, volunteer to pay 50% of your healthcare and 100% of your retirement like the rest of the private sector has been doing for 20 years.

That should quell the masses.
I sense some issues here. My teachers were nice to me.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,026 times
Default Budget

Ever notice when ever they have a budget vote, it gets voted down, then they may say, U-OH, now we're going to have to cut after school activities, then, it goes for a re-vote and it passes. Then the budget vote again, and they say the same "penalty" if the school doesn't get their budget, after school activities. No matter if there was a fee or fundraiser to specifically pay for it, because the money the school receives, they decide whats needs to be paid for.

THEN, you want to have a vote to expand the fire house from a one story to a two story, schedule the vote and don't tell a bunch of people about it. With the budget vote at least I get a notice in the mail of when and where. Also expand the library?, no card in the mail either. Note: these are 2 separate votes that have nothing to do with attending the budget vote.
I found out about these after they were voted and passed. I'm not saying it was not deserving, but budget vote gets the turn out, the separate votes mentioned above it seems a bunch of people didn't know about. (contributing to the property taxes is my point)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies