Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 01:22 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,715,671 times

Advertisements

Major Cities Could Be Hit With Water Shortages, Report Warns
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 01:42 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,224,637 times
This subject is a particular interest of mine (and I have a thread going in the Self-Sufficiency sub-forum about it) because I find it fascinating how wide the disconnect is between business-as-usual and reality.

Just because fresh, safe water has always flowed from the tap does not mean you can always count on its being there for your use.

Any resident of the major metro areas mentioned in your article ought to think long and hard about the future as these population centers continue to add more residents with additional demands on the available water supplies.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:53 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,996,826 times
Thank God that I live near one of the largest bodies of fresh water in the world.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:02 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,271,006 times
I'd say just group ALL of socal into one listing. It used to be a desert. Riverside looks nice and green since people planted trees and grass but that was after water was imported. A bad quake along the canal that feeds water from nocal and millions of people in socal, at least the bottom third of the state, are going to instantly run dry. This is one of the things which figures prominently in the effects of a quake along the San Andreas since you can't just go and fix it.

The ONLY reason socal is such a mess now (and I'm sooooo glad I left) is water is brought in. Take that away and you end up with rural Oklahoma without the trees. We need to look at rainfall, and lake catches and other normally available supplies when we deal realistically with water availability down the road. If the acequduct goes, where is the state to find the money to build another one, for instance?

Old 02-22-2011, 02:27 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,218,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Thank God that I live near one of the largest bodies of fresh water in the world.
Don't be so sure, water rights are being purchased all over the country by T Boone Pickens and others; its use is and will be restricted.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:30 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,949,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Don't be so sure, water rights are being purchased all over the country by T Boone Pickens and others; its use is and will be restricted.
Maybe I should move to the Pacific Northwest then the rainiest spot in the continental U.S.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:44 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,996,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post

If I'm not mistaken Ohio, and the rest of the Great Lakes have signed a pact to not allow the water to be piped to the south and southwest. I'll have to double check that. At any rate, if you want water, don't move to a desert.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:57 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,369,489 times
This could be a wind fall for me, I have a artisian well on my property with so much water that I had to dig a trench line so it would not flood my land. So my plan is to start saving old milk cartons and filling them with water when the time is right. Then seek bids on ebay for the highest bidder. What do you think? will this plan work?

Old 02-26-2011, 11:40 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,218,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
If I'm not mistaken Ohio, and the rest of the Great Lakes have signed a pact to not allow the water to be piped to the south and southwest. I'll have to double check that. At any rate, if you want water, don't move to a desert.
I think one of the great lakes has a botted water plant on it. They won't pipe it, just bottle it up.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:59 AM

446 posts, read 649,685 times
Wow, I'm surprised my hometown of Fort Worth is on there... I was assuming it'd all be desert cities and such. But on the other hand, I am well aware of the badly managed growth Fort Worth has had in recent years, and so a fight over water rights actually is probably a standard result of that.

Other surprises are Houston and Orlando... I guess being in a wet climate does not equal water security...

The Southwestern cities there don't really surprise me, though. After all, a bunch of people moved to a desert!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies