Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2007, 04:38 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,411,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
The public school issue is another ball of wax. With less taxes being paid, many more will be able to afford private schools.
Are you kidding me? Most people where I'm from complain about their $4000 - $6000 property tax bill, which is where our schools get their funds from. $5000 often won't buy your kid a seat on a private school BUS to GET them to school, let alone tuition at a private school!

And what about those people who don't PAY taxes, and yet STILL couldn't send their kids to school? You think they're gonna "stop" having kids? What if they WERE doing OK, but then lost their job, and so can't send their three kids to school anymore? It's a recipe for disaster. People DO need to have kids you know.... unless you just want to keep importing people to keep the economy afloat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 04:47 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,411,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighouse9
How willingly? I mean the proof is in the pudding. I think it is fairly common knowledge that the beaureaucratic machine that is the government creates red tape and huge costs.
As compared to the UNELECTED, 0 oversight bureaucratic machine that is a large corporation?

But let's ask the question: which has lower "overhead"? The administrative overhead of medicare is 6.3% compared to a commercial average of 13%, !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9
You will sit back and ***** about FEMA, the military, the spending, and the list goes on and on. But when it comes to health care, hey, let's hand our lives over to the government!
Looks like you're mixing up "government run" healthcare vs. "government run ACCESS to healthcare." The two are completely different.

Oh, and most people ***** about military spending because it's incredibly wasteful and RESISTS oversight because God forbid you criticize the military!

Quote:
I brought it up previously, I heard this one the other day that in England if you are a smoker, the government will deny you surgery until you can prove that you quit smoking. I would love to see if this is actually true or just a proposal but that is not taking care of the people.
Again, as compared to private HMOs who will deny you coverage at all if you smoke? Or deny or drop you if they find out you had a yeast infection 20 years ago that you forgot to put on your application form? Or tell you that you're covered enough to have one of two severed fingers put back on your body..... but not both?

Who are you trying to kid?

Quote:
Let's see if we can name one thing the government does better than the private sector.
Transportation. Farming wouldn't exist anymore if it weren't for government subsidies.... banking would fold without government FDIC insurance...... my old utilities provider back in Tallahassee was run by the city. Very efficient, nice and streamlined, one bill for all utilities....

Old 08-07-2007, 04:49 PM

702 posts, read 3,152,742 times
"You don't see what everyone else is complaining about because you are enjoying a single-payer system, called medicare."

Anyone who worked for a living enjoys the same benefit that I have.

Old 08-07-2007, 04:54 PM

799 posts, read 2,169,324 times
I have 2 college degrees. I work in an industry that has filled up with employees, and jobs are hard to find.
I have worked hard, and taken risks, done some really crappy jobs and paid my dues. But I am not ahead for it.

Well, for all of you who do have health insurance, there are MORE and MORE companies who are not offering it anymore. So you might find yourself where I am....
I have a ton of debt. I got pneumonia last year, and had to go to a pulmonologist who told me he kept me out of the hospital, because I had no health insurance. I have never been so sick in my life, nor do I ever want to get that sick again.
I have tens of thousands in medical debt.

It will become impossible to help out everyone financially who incurs high medical debt.
Companies are smart. They have let the federal govt pick up the bill on the immigrant working class, via Medicaid and other programs. They let the American Taxpayer pay for it.
Soon, they will make YOU pay for YOU.
A lot of people have forgotten that they, the American Taxpayer, pays the salaries of our politicians and leaders, and it is us who foots the bill for any free social programs.
I do not want health care provided via the government, like the Veteran's Hospitals, because I have seen them.
Health care used to be "fee for service"...yeah, you had a baby, and you paid the doc and the hospital back, and you financed it with them. But costs aren't what they are now. The $10 bandaid IS a reality, because you are covering indigent and charity care.
I didn't get help, when I needed it, and I have paid into the system via my taxes.
So what is wrong with this system?
I notice no one really yells bloody murder, until they lose their insurance coverage and find themselves with bills such as $800 from a pulmonogist.
Hey, I want docs to be well-compensated. Going thru med school isn't easy, and they have to dance to get accepted in. Doctors are professional and should be compensated well for their training and responsibility.
But now, we have created a mess with the insurance companies. We have brokers, aka insurance companies, who make money off our possibilities of getting sick.

Old 08-07-2007, 04:56 PM

799 posts, read 2,169,324 times
When someone wrote that no hospital turns away anyone...

Yeah, and they send you the bill...for the ER, for the doc who saw you, for the radiologist who read your films, for medications, etc.....

Unless you want to ruin your credit rating, you had better pay up.
Oh, they all have ways to spread out payments, but they want their money.

NOTHING IS FREE, at least for taxpaying Americans.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:06 PM

702 posts, read 3,152,742 times
"I have a ton of debt. I got pneumonia last year, and had to go to a pulmonologist who told me he kept me out of the hospital, because I had no health insurance. I have never been so sick in my life, nor do I ever want to get that sick again. I have tens of thousands in medical debt."

My wife manages two medical clinics. First of all, all you had to do was go to the emergency room and you would be admitted if you were really in need of hospitalization. My wife has had people sent there under those conditions all the time. Some on their own and others by ambulance. No insurance at all! Medical debt can be paid a few dollars a month. My wife has seen records of people paying $5.00 a month. It may take them most of their lives, but small payments are accepted in lieu of getting nothing. Did you know that MEDICAL DEBT is viewed differently than any other debt? If you pay small amounts each month you will not be in trouble. If you pay nothing...you will be viewed badly on credit reports. All hospitals and clinics will accept small payments as long as you make them monthly...yes, even $5 a month. That's a fact.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:59 PM

79 posts, read 210,225 times
Red face I Work For A Living!

Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
"You don't see what everyone else is complaining about because you are enjoying a single-payer system, called medicare."

Anyone who worked for a living enjoys the same benefit that I have.
I WORK FOR A LIVING, BUT I AM ONLY 48, SELF EMPLOYED AND CAN'T GET HEALTH INSURANCE BECAUSE OF A PRE-EXISTING CONDITION, (WHICH BEFORE ANYONE ASKS, MY CONDITION IS NOT REALVENT). AND IT IS MY TAX THAT PAYS FOR YOUR MEDICARE COVERAGE WHICH VERY LIKELY WILL NOT HAVE THE AVAILABLE FUNDS BY THE TIME I READY TO RETIRE. MAYBE I SHOULDN'T BE FORCED TO PAY FOR A SYSTEM I WILL NEVER USE SO I CAN GET MY OWN HEALTH CARE. BUT NOW I SOUND LIKE SOME OTHERS HERE.

I AM GLAD YOU HAVE YOUR MEDICARE, BUT OTHERS DO NOT SHARE THE HEALTHCARE YOU ENJOY. ALL ANYONE WANTS IS THE ABILITY TO GET CARE WHEN YOUR ILL AT AN AFFORDABLE RATE.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:05 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,695,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
If you really have so little faith in government why in hell are you so willing to task it with national defense? Sounds like you don't consider it important if you 'd give the respomsibility to a body you have such a low opinion of.
Because, at this point, there is no alternative.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:09 PM

79 posts, read 210,225 times
Default Are You Kidding Me!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
"I have a ton of debt. I got pneumonia last year, and had to go to a pulmonologist who told me he kept me out of the hospital, because I had no health insurance. I have never been so sick in my life, nor do I ever want to get that sick again. I have tens of thousands in medical debt."

My wife manages two medical clinics. First of all, all you had to do was go to the emergency room and you would be admitted if you were really in need of hospitalization. My wife has had people sent there under those conditions all the time. Some on their own and others by ambulance. No insurance at all! Medical debt can be paid a few dollars a month. My wife has seen records of people paying $5.00 a month. It may take them most of their lives, but small payments are accepted in lieu of getting nothing. Did you know that MEDICAL DEBT is viewed differently than any other debt? If you pay small amounts each month you will not be in trouble. If you pay nothing...you will be viewed badly on credit reports. All hospitals and clinics will accept small payments as long as you make them monthly...yes, even $5 a month. That's a fact.
I'M SORRY, BUT I DO NOT KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE, BUT A HOSP. TAKING $5. AND NOT SENDING YOU TO COLLECTIONS MY HUSBAND IS A DR AND ALL I HEAR FROM PATIENTS IS HOW THE HOSPITAL THREATENS THEM BECAUSE THE ARE NOT PAYING ENOUGH! MY DAD HAD IT HAPPEN TO HIM, THE HOSPITAL THAT TOOK CARE OF MY MOMS BROKEN LEG, THREATEN HIM ON A REGULAR BASIS THAT HIS PAYMENTS WERE NOT ENOUGH. THEY TOLD HIM THEY WOULD PUT A LEIN ON HIS HOUSE!!! HE BORROWED THE MONEY AND PAID THE HOSPITAL IN FULL. AND I HAVE CUSTOMERS WHOSE CREDIT RATING IN DOWN DUE TO HOSPITALS WHO HAVE FILED LATE PAYMENT REPORTS CAUSE THE BILL WAS NOT PAID IN FULL. SO PLEASE, TELL ME WHERE THIS UTOPIA IS

Old 08-07-2007, 06:13 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,695,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Scholz View Post
I WORK FOR A LIVING, BUT I AM ONLY 48, SELF EMPLOYED AND CAN'T GET HEALTH INSURANCE BECAUSE OF A PRE-EXISTING CONDITION, (WHICH BEFORE ANYONE ASKS, MY CONDITION IS NOT REALVENT). AND IT IS MY TAX THAT PAYS FOR YOUR MEDICARE COVERAGE WHICH VERY LIKELY WILL NOT HAVE THE AVAILABLE FUNDS BY THE TIME I READY TO RETIRE. MAYBE I SHOULDN'T BE FORCED TO PAY FOR A SYSTEM I WILL NEVER USE SO I CAN GET MY OWN HEALTH CARE. BUT NOW I SOUND LIKE SOME OTHERS HERE.

I AM GLAD YOU HAVE YOUR MEDICARE, BUT OTHERS DO NOT SHARE THE HEALTHCARE YOU ENJOY. ALL ANYONE WANTS IS THE ABILITY TO GET CARE WHEN YOUR ILL AT AN AFFORDABLE RATE.
Simple solution. Get a job with a company that carries a Group Health Plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies