Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 07:31 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,122,327 times

Advertisements

I read the article... and frankly, it doesn't seem to say he actually said much of anything about anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 07:32 AM

17,523 posts, read 24,764,579 times
This guy is the biggest disgrace to his robes ever to serve on the Supreme Koch, except possibly Scalia or Roberts

Old 02-28-2011, 07:35 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,320,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
I read the article... and frankly, it doesn't seem to say he actually said much of anything about anything.
My thoughts exactly. He was so nebulous that i didn't get anything out of it...much less enough to start a thread about it.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:32 AM

1,677 posts, read 1,672,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
Really? So you'd just eliminate oral arguments altogether? LOL
Wow, I shouldn't be surprised at this illogical question.

The justices are there to hear, i.e., listen...not to become argumentative or to showboat.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:34 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,156,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
Wow, I shouldn't be surprised at this illogical question.

The justices are there to hear, i.e., listen...not to become argumentative or to showboat.
Have you ever stood before an appellate judge?

They are there to argue and question. Most times a lawyer won't get even a fraction of his or her prepared statements out before he or she is derailed by a barrage of questions from the bench.

Stop making excuses for Thomas being a dolt.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:35 AM

1,936 posts, read 1,830,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
This guy is the biggest disgrace to his robes ever to serve on the Supreme Koch, except possibly Scalia or Roberts
Love this post.
He needs to remain silent. He was a mistake put on the bench. How dare he quote MLK.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:36 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,904,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
He and Scalia undermined the neutrality of the high court when they attended an invitation only, closed to all press, strategy planning session organized by the Koch brothers. Supreme Court justices have to be beyond reproach--the entire idea of the court is that it be above the political process. SC justices have spoke about issues before when it was widely covered by the press, or to groups of law students or trade associations in more private settings, but never in a forum like this that's entirely partisan and private, and where it draws suspicion that they could very well have been part of the planning process.
Exactly! And then he is lecturing us about practicing our 1st amendment rights!

Old 02-28-2011, 10:39 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,904,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I have trouble respecting a justice who hasn't asked a question in over five years. I've also heard that he regularly falls asleep in court.

Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas Celebrates Five Years of Silence During Oral Arguments
Thomas knows he is on the privileged "gravy train" paid for by us tax payers.

Probably the only reason he forced his butt off his recliner to give this speech is that he was paid big bucks for it.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:45 AM

1,677 posts, read 1,672,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Have you ever stood before an appellate judge?

They are there to argue and question.
LOL, no they aren't.

Quote:
Most times a lawyer won't get even a fraction of his or her prepared statements out before he or she is derailed by a barrage of questions from the bench.
Yeah, that's what Thomas reportedly objects to. They are there to listen and historically have done so.

It's so ironic that courtroom procedure now seems to be defined by what Scalia does. And that Thomas is supposed to mimic that?

Thomas has commented that the current atmosphere is more like Family Feud than a courtroom.

Quote:
Stop making excuses for Thomas being a dolt.
Liberals hate a black man with a mind of his own.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:53 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,156,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
LOL, no they aren't.
Yes, they are.

I've been before hundreds of judges.

Where do you get the idea that judges don't do this ALL THE TIME?

Good judges, interested judges, ASK QUESTIONS ALL THE TIME. Oral argument before an appellate court is often more like an interrogation than it is giving a speech.

Quote:
Yeah, that's what Thomas reportedly objects to. They are there to listen and historically have done so.
Then he's even dumber than I thought. No kidding he objects, because the pointed questions from the other judges - while getting none from him - make him look stupid.

Quote:
It's so ironic that courtroom procedure now seems to be defined by what Scalia does. And that Thomas is supposed to mimic that?
He couldn't if he tried, and what Scalia does IS standard procedure.

Quote:
Thomas has commented that the current atmosphere is more like Family Feud than a courtroom.
To him, it is.

Quote:
Liberals hate a black man with a mind of his own.
Just had to play the race card, didn't you? Thurgood Marshall asked questions.

You know who HE was, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies