Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 01:05 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,455,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post

I call it showboating, and a waste of time since everything has already been said in writing, and they all have read it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post

Really? So you'd just eliminate oral arguments altogether? LOL
Yeah, this is what I was going to ask, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post

Who was the last conservative black person that liberals respected?
Colin Powell comes to mind. Larry Elder doesn't suck. Condoleeza Rice sold us out, but I respect her nonetheless. Does it count if I love Jackie Robinson, since he wasn't a politician, but he was a black Republican? Same with Lynn Swann; one of the best NFL players ever (and he took ballet to learn better balance to improve his game! How cool is that?!). Do you want me to go on, or have I sufficiently proved you wrong yet?
Quote:

You want to see a little song and dance, entertainment from Thomas even though it will most likely be redundant!
No, I want to see a justice who is interested and engaged in the process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 01:08 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,423,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Wish we had more like him...

‘Defending Liberty’: Defiant Clarence Thomas Slams Critics for ‘Undermining’ High Court | The Blaze

"Delivering the keynote speech at an annual symposium for conservative law students, Thomas spoke in vague, but ominous, terms about the direction of the country and urged his listeners to “redouble your efforts to learn about our country so that you’re in a position to defend it.”

Important words for us all to heed.
You've got to be kidding. This man is the most laughable member of the Supreme Court in history. He's an intellectual lightweight and an embarrassment. His speech probably was written by Scalia. He may also be next in line to depart the Court.

When he departs during one of Obama's two terms, the replacement will shift the Court to a far more enlightened Left.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:08 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,095,687 times
Quote:
Yeah, judges ask questions all the time, but they are not required to as you are suggesting.

They ask questions when there are holes and illogic in the arguments. And then some of them do it to showboat, as if they have something to prove to their audience.

You want to see a little song and dance, entertainment from Thomas even though it will most likely be redundant!

So SC justices are supposed to do exactly as an appellate judge that you personally witnessed. Each should behave in exactly the same manner to satisfy you.

Gee, I wonder how Kagan, who has never been a judge, is going to handle that. Are you going to school her on proper judge procedure per your instructions?

You are making assertions and forming conclusions based solely on your personal opinion.

You can't even bring a logical argument to this thread so I think the probability is high that if a judge drilled you, your argument was either insufficient, illogical and/or had holes in it.
Are you an attorney? Have you been to law school? Have you ever argued a case before panel of appellate judges?

You have such strong opinions, I'm just wondering what the basis for those opinions is.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:28 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,670,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
According to who? Not me. I've never said that.

You're assuming that you know what every liberal is thinking, and you assume that my thoughts are just like theirs. Maybe if you stopped stereotyping and being so narrow-minded about others, you wouldn't be so quick to judge. Not everyone is the same. Until you understand that, you're going to have trouble getting along with people who think differently than you.
You are making giant leaps in logic.

Nothing I stated assumes I know what every liberal is thinking.

Keep that illogic coming!

Old 02-28-2011, 01:31 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,717,565 times
Quote:
You very clearly assumed that I follow some sort of liberal doctrinaire. It's no fun arguing with someone who is so closed-minded and quick to judge. It really doesn't matter, though, because you've made your opinion obvious: You like Clarence Thomas and think that he's a role model for other judges to follow.

Good luck.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
I suggested no such thing. I did state that it is rather typical and certainly within the scope of their duties. IOW, they do it all the time. I tend to get worried when I have a judge that DOESN'T ask questions...the norm is very much that they DO.

Not necessarily. Remember you have more than one judge on an appellate panel. Often they ask questions they know the answers to (or softball questions) because they are trying to sway the other members of the court.

And sometimes they ask them just for fun.

If Thomas asks a question, you're probably right that it is redundant.

SCOTUS judges ARE appellate judges. Except in those very rare cases over which they have original jurisdiction...

I expect them to act like appellate judges, or any judge for that matter, who ASK QUESTIONS.

I don't know and don't care. This thread isn't about Kagan and I haven't seen enough of her yet to know - neither do you. This is simply diversion.

No, I'm making assertions based on professional experience. Ask any appellate lawyer or judge.

Wow.

Just wow.

Aren't you the one that played the race card? I'm sorry, but you just described your own posts...
Not even a nice try since I specifically stated "appellate judge you personally witnessed"

Thomas has written hundreds of opinions.

Display some intellect and attack him on those instead of this trumped up playground inspired character assassination.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:33 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,455,351 times
Quote:

That's so funny.
Quote:

It's liberal logic.
No, you haven't suggested all liberals think the same at all. What was he thinking?

Old 02-28-2011, 01:37 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,095,687 times
Quote:
Not even a nice try since I specifically stated "appellate judge you personally witnessed"

Thomas has written hundreds of opinions.

Display some intellect and attack him on those instead of this trumped up playground inspired character assassination.
I'd say that you didn't know that SC justices are appellate judges.

Again, are you an attorney? What kind of legal education have you had?

Old 02-28-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
You very clearly assumed that I follow some sort of liberal doctrinaire. It's no fun arguing with someone who is so closed-minded and quick to judge. It really doesn't matter, though, because you've made your opinion obvious: You like Clarence Thomas and think that he's a role model for other judges to follow.

Good luck.
Uh, no I didn't.

Gee, can't believe you keep coming with this illogic.

But then, many libs I've encountered really don't know when they've lost a debate.

And here you are with more illogic and assumptions - that I like Clarence Thomas.

LMAO

Pointing out your illogic doesn't mean, imply or in any way suggest what I think or believe - as difficult as that may be for you to comprehend.

When I talk about what I think, I state it as "I think", "IMO", or something like that.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
Are you an attorney? Have you been to law school? Have you ever argued a case before panel of appellate judges?

You have such strong opinions, I'm just wondering what the basis for those opinions is.
Yeah, perlier, you've done this before.

When I related background info pertinent to the specific topic, you made a couple of insults, quit and ran away.

The fact is, you don't need to know my background to address my posts. You are deflecting and displaying more lib illogic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies