Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 09:00 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,310,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
The only statistic that really means anything is the employment participation rate. As you can see in this article it is still dropping. Unemployment numbers that count

Of course you will never see that statistic plastered on all the main stream media. It does not give you the point of view the government and corporations want you to have. They will instead pump you full of manipulated statistics that give you a warm fuzzy feeling that everything is getting better.

When you have less that 64% of eligible workers employed, and the number continues to deteriorate, there is certainly nothing to feel good about.

Things will not begin to turn around until people stop being such a bunch of suckers and stand up and demand change.

I was waiting for someone to post this information.

We are currently at a 30 year record which is BAD NEWS.

In my hometown we have lost 9 factories in the last year and another ready to close it's doors. So much for the stimulus helping small businesses and shovel ready jobs.

I think the actual REAL TRUE unemployment rate is around 17%, not 8.9%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 09:15 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
I was waiting for someone to post this information.

We are currently at a 30 year record which is BAD NEWS.

In my hometown we have lost 9 factories in the last year and another ready to close it's doors. So much for the stimulus helping small businesses and shovel ready jobs.

I think the actual REAL TRUE unemployment rate is around 17%, not 8.9%.
You DO know don't you that the BLS reports that number every single month. It's called the U-6 unemployment rate - and it's not like it's a SECRET.

It's current value is 15.9% (so your estimate is only about 1 point off), which is down from 16.1% in Jan and down from the over 17% which it was a year ago or so ago.

You can certainly feel free to referenct that U-6 unemployment rate whereever you want - just be aware that EVEN THAT number is DROPPING.

Ken

Old 03-04-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
The only statistic that really means anything is the employment participation rate. As you can see in this article it is still dropping. Unemployment numbers that count

Of course you will never see that statistic plastered on all the main stream media. It does not give you the point of view the government and corporations want you to have. They will instead pump you full of manipulated statistics that give you a warm fuzzy feeling that everything is getting better.

When you have less that 64% of eligible workers employed, and the number continues to deteriorate, there is certainly nothing to feel good about.

Things will not begin to turn around until people stop being such a bunch of suckers and stand up and demand change.
Get real and take off your stupid tin foil hat.

If the BLS wanted to manipulate the numbers so that everything looked good then the numbers would ALWAYS look good ALL THE TIME - rather than sometimes looking like sh*t and other times looking good. The numbers mirror what the economy is doing - and right now the economy is RECOVERING.

Ken

Old 03-04-2011, 09:30 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post

If the BLS wanted to manipulate the numbers so that everything looked good then the numbers would ALWAYS look good ALL THE TIME - rather than sometimes looking like sh*t and other times looking good. The numbers mirror what the economy is doing - and right now the economy is RECOVERING.

Ken
People want a quick "V" recovery instead of a decade long slow recovery.
They want cheap food, plentiful jobs and increasing salaries, comfortable retirement..that is the recovery to them.

I'm a bit more pragmatic in my thinking. Could be America's "lost decade" due to the huge debt.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:42 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
People want a quick "V" recovery instead of a decade long slow recovery.
They want cheap food, plentiful jobs and increasing salaries, comfortable retirement..that is the recovery to them.

I'm a bit more pragmatic in my thinking. Could be America's "lost decade" due to the huge debt.
I think the 2010s will be more like 1990s Soviet Union/Russia than Japan. Japan was stagnant, the Soviet Union collapsed and was in turmoil.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:55 PM

20,343 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
What I find funny is that now the rate dropped it's a success for the GOP, but had the rate increased, it would have been Obama's fault.

I'd say it all depends on who one supports, the GOP or Obama.

Don't you?

Old 03-05-2011, 04:33 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,338,399 times
"Unemployment rate now 8.9%"

More b.s. numbers.

Old 03-05-2011, 07:10 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,584,802 times
Default Reality is harsh

Right...

Every number that doesn't sit well with dittoheads is "bs."

Old 03-05-2011, 10:33 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,289,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post

Ken
Right back at you, except in your case it is an ass hat.

If you believe the propaganda the government tells you, then enjoy your fantacy world and remain unprepared for what is comming down the road.
As a matter of fact, since you are so convinced in the recovery please by all means why don't you invest every cent you have in the market?
After all if the economy is really recovering then being 100%+ invested makes all the sense in the world.
In fact it makes sense to leverage yourself deeply to invest. Yes that stratagy should be just the ticket for all the economic cheerleaders. Borrow every dollar you can and invest, invest, invest.
I will be sure to check back with you in a year or two and see how that works for you.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:

Right back at you, except in your case it is an ass hat.

If you believe the propaganda the government tells you, then enjoy your fantacy world and remain unprepared for what is comming down the road.
As a matter of fact, since you are so convinced in the recovery please by all means why don't you invest every cent you have in the market?
After all if the economy is really recovering then being 100%+ invested makes all the sense in the world.
In fact it makes sense to leverage yourself deeply to invest. Yes that stratagy should be just the ticket for all the economic cheerleaders. Borrow every dollar you can and invest, invest, invest.
I will be sure to check back with you in a year or two and see how that works for you.
Actually I've been invested HEAVILY in the market - and investments have done VERY WELL indeed - well enough to allow me to RETIRE - and ALL the while the "doom & gloom" crowd was saying things like "we'll be lucky if the S&P is 500" and "stocks are going to tank under Obama" and other silly & ignorant stuff. Strangely enough NONE of that happened - and in FACT the stock market has ROCKETED with it's FASTEST GAINS in DECADES.

So, yeah, I've done very well thank you very much.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies