Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 06:32 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times

Advertisements

I wonder when the oil companies will get around to selling fuel in Liters instead of gallons and charge the same price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 10:45 AM

37,203 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
And it was $1.79 the day Obama took office..
Back down from a high of slightly over five bucks on the coast of California. When the oil companies realized they had raised prices too high and people quit buying, the prices were lowered until an acceptable balance was struck between price and demand. The found out where the pressure point was and how much pain the public could stand.

The most I paid here during 2005-6 was $3.79 / gallon, IIRC.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:48 AM

334 posts, read 188,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Back down from a high of slightly over five bucks on the coast of California. When the oil companies realized they had raised prices too high and people quit buying, the prices were lowered until an acceptable balance was struck between price and demand. The found out where the pressure point was and how much pain the public could stand.

We've never gone below $2.35 here in PA since O bs'd his way into office.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:55 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,631,332 times
ALWAYS use the price per ounce or price per unit that is given in most major grocery store chains. If you get used to associating a price per unit with products, you can cross shop for discounts easier and also catch manufacturers trying to shortchange consumers by giving less product in the same size box.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:01 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,207,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I consider myself to be a thrifty smart shopper. I only buy what is necessary and seldom splurge on many things. I noticed something today that has eluded me in ly previous trips to the grocery store. The Florida's Natural OJ that I buy (and the Tropican brand) have both shrunk from 64 fl oz to 59 fl oz! Of course, they didn't change the packaging, only the amount of liquid inside. I'm old enough to remember when they used to give 67.6 fl oz, the equiv of 2 liters. When they shrunk to 64 oz, I overlooked it, but now 59 fl oz! I quickly changed my choice and bought the cheaper minute maid (64 fl oz) instead. My Angel soft toilet paper looks mysteriously smaller too. I feel deceived. companies shouldn't get away with this.
Companies have been doing this for many decades--using less in the way of raw materials without lowering the price. That's how we got from knee-length bloomers to thong underwear in 100 years.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:44 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Companies have been doing this for many decades--using less in the way of raw materials without lowering the price. That's how we got from knee-length bloomers to thong underwear in 100 years.
This is a good example of where less is more.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:58 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I consider myself to be a thrifty smart shopper. I only buy what is necessary and seldom splurge on many things. I noticed something today that has eluded me in ly previous trips to the grocery store. The Florida's Natural OJ that I buy (and the Tropican brand) have both shrunk from 64 fl oz to 59 fl oz! Of course, they didn't change the packaging, only the amount of liquid inside. I'm old enough to remember when they used to give 67.6 fl oz, the equiv of 2 liters. When they shrunk to 64 oz, I overlooked it, but now 59 fl oz! I quickly changed my choice and bought the cheaper minute maid (64 fl oz) instead. My Angel soft toilet paper looks mysteriously smaller too. I feel deceived. companies shouldn't get away with this.
Then you're not being deceived. The packaging clearly and conspicuously states the amount you're purchasing.

Maybe you can get your buddy Obama to expand the bureaucracy and suck up even more tax dollars by enacting legislation to warn people who are incredibly stupid that the packaging has changed size. Then you can pay even more for those products since the will require additional labeling.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:03 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:

I expected nothing less from you. Try to blame Bush for everythign taking place, even after Obama has taken office. The fact that prices were high during part of Bushs term was not your point was it? Lets recap what you said..
Quote:
Gas was $1.59 per gallon here in S.C the day W took office.
Clearly you want to be fair then and quote what the price of gas was the day Obama took office and compare it to now right?

Was gas high during Bushs term, yep.. Is it high now? Yep.. But the price of gas has DOUBLED since Obama has taken the oath of office just 2 years ago...

Not even a peep of protesting from the left.. how shocking!!!

So if your claim above is true, that they realized we couldnt handle that much pain, then explain to me why its doubled again since Obama has taken the White House? And dont dare blame Bush because Bush has nothign to do with this.. As noted above, fuel prices were 1/2 of what they were before he left..
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWurkin View Post
I go back and forth into PA all the time.. it indeed was below $2 when O was elected..
Here is the governments site to track fuel charges
U.S. Retail Gasoline Historical Prices

Old 03-08-2011, 10:31 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Liberals told us that inflation wasnt going to be taking place.. It almost sounds like you are admitting that it is, and your rationality is.. "welp, its better than deflation"... Sorry that doesnt cut it.
Inflation is a generic term. There is no Real Inflation, but there is Cost Inflation. The only person who has the power to control that is you.

You can either stop consuming, or start farming some of the 26 Million acres of fallow farmland in Ohio.

It's still early. You should be able to get in some corn and cotton. Your contribution of cotton to the world market will increase the supply and decrease the price of clothing a tad bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recovering Democrat View Post
In its wisdom the federal government chooses to EXCLUDE the cost of energy (heating oil, diesel fuel, gasoline, etc.) and food (groceries, etc.) from their calculation of the core rate of inflation (Consumer Price Index or "CPI") Their magic formula says there is no inflation and thus no increase in social security payments.
Well, then start farming. That will bring the cost of food down.

The reason the government excludes that is because they're interested in knowing when Real Inflation kicks in, and Cost Inflation can mask Real Inflation.

Quote:
Trump is right. We need a few Jersey boys with baseball bats to go and have a sit down with the OPEC boys. This is ridiculous.
No, Trump is wrong. What need is few Jersey boys with baseballs to whack the liars and idiots. OPEC does not set the price of oil, the market does.

Let's see what kind of propaganda and disinformation you and your boy Trump are pushing.

These are OPEC countries:

Angola, Cabinda 32º 105.98
Ecuador, Oriente 30º 94.74
Iran, Heavy 30º 101.07
Iran, Light 34º 103.62
Saudi Arabia, Arabian Heavy 27º 100.3
Venezuela, Tia Juana Light 31º 99.06

These are non-OPEC countries:

Australia, Gippsland 42º 109.18
Norway, Ekofisk Blend 42º 108.51
United Kingdom, Brent Blend 38º 106.94

Sucks to be you, dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
That is what happens when a nation like the United States lets a private bank like the Federal Reserve control the money supply and print money out of thin air and hand it out to all their bankster friends to use while the dollar still has purchasing power.
Are you suggesting the US is the only country with a private bank that controls the money supply?

I sure hope not, because that would be silly (and wrong).

Quote:
By the time it filters down to the peons (the general public) the money supply has doubled the purchasing power of the dollar has been cut in half and rather than doubling the prices of groceries, they cut down on the amount you get in each package as well as raise the price. It is called INFLATION.
And that isn't happening yet. It generally takes 8-15 years to wend it's way through the system. You do understand this is real life and not a video game, right?

Quote:
If we were smart, we'd have elected Dr. Paul as president instead.
And nothing would change. What is happening now would still be happening.

I suppose you believe the Federal Reserve is responsible for the bad weather that destroyed the cotton crop and reduced the supply of cotton and the world market and caused the price of clothing to rise.

Are you sure your tin foil hat is adjusted correctly? Maybe you should check its attenuation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I wonder when the oil companies will get around to selling fuel in Liters instead of gallons and charge the same price.
The oil companies don't set the price of oil. They just drill, process and pump it. Some of them don't even refine the oil they pump.

It's the world commodities future market that sets the price.

If you're upset, then blame yourself. If you had stopped supporting dictators in the Middle East when Osama bin Laden asked you to 10 years ago you wouldn't be in this mess.

Quote:
When the oil companies realized they had raised prices too high and people quit buying, the prices were lowered until an acceptable balance was struck between price and demand.
And you have proof of that? Or was that some kind of mystical dream you had?

Quote:
I'll recommend you for a Purple Fart.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:42 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Then you're not being deceived. The packaging clearly and conspicuously states the amount you're purchasing.

Maybe you can get your buddy Obama to expand the bureaucracy and suck up even more tax dollars by enacting legislation to warn people who are incredibly stupid that the packaging has changed size. Then you can pay even more for those products since the will require additional labeling.
Bitter much? When have you gone shopping for groceries lately? The whole trick is that the companies DON"T change the carton size at all. They merely put less liquid product in an opaque carton so that you cannot see that you're getting 5 oz less than before. I guess that I'm basically too trusting and don't notice such things. I won't be so naive from now on. You should show a little bit more respect for our President.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies