Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What causes autism?
Defective genes 17 23.94%
Environmental toxins 4 5.63%
Vaccines 3 4.23%
A combination of vaccines and genes 4 5.63%
A combination of environmental toxins and genes 18 25.35%
A combination of vaccines and environmental toxins 10 14.08%
Something else 15 21.13%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 07:35 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,873,199 times

Advertisements

Anecdotal evidence means nothing. NOTHING.

The studies repeatedly show that vaccines do not cause autism. Babies exhibit symptoms of autism before they get shots.

Vaccines are not a failure. Very few people today have measles, mumps, congenital rubella, diphtheria, tetanus, polio and half a dozen other diseases. That's because of vaccines. Let's keep it that way.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 04-04-2011 at 08:19 AM.. Reason: Edited out reference to deleted post

Old 04-04-2011, 07:40 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWurkin View Post
That ridiculous response might have held water when the prevalence was 1 in 10,000.

At 1 in 110, and several thousand accounts of the EXACT same correlation, only a fool would deny that there is a connection between autism and vaccines.

In fact, the CDC has just reopened the case themselves.

There is a point where correlation does equal causation. The fact that medical science has been unable to prove why it's happening has nothing to do with the fact that it is. That's the failure of medical science, not a verdict of innocent for vaccines.

I'll wait until studies come out.
Until then, your guess is as good as anyone else's; it's just as bad as their guess, too.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:48 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,306,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
I think it could also be, hear me out, too much focus on anti-bacterial this or that. Parents raise their kids in an almost bacteria free environment, as much as possible. Then a child/baby is exposed to a bacteria and it does a number on them.

Take this a bit further. I also don't EVER remember anyone having allergies (food). Let me take that back, I remember my Grandmother being allergic to peanuts, but she wasn't anaphylactic, just would get a really upset stomach after eating any - she loved them so she would have some every now and then.

There are so many kids allergic to everything under the sun. it has to be how we are raising our kids today.

That's why I say pollution. I do believe it is chemical. It is something we are doing in the past ten-twenty years. It could have something to do with being over-medicated, and not being able to self-manufacture sufficient immunities.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:48 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,661,252 times
Why is this the subject of a poll?

It's a factual question. I don't know what the answer is, but I guarantee that my opinion and the opinions of the other members of City-Data has no relevance to the actual cause.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:54 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,466,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
That's why I say pollution. I do believe it is chemical. It is something we are doing in the past ten-twenty years. It could have something to do with being over-medicated, and not being able to self-manufacture sufficient immunities.
Another thing worth considering is that health professionals have been looking more closely at children lately. A lot of autism or Asperger's cases that would have been missed and left untreated are now being diagnosed and treated. I'd venture to guess that a lot of ASD children just flew under the radar or got other diagnoses 50 years ago, but are now being recognized and properly diagnosed because of the increased visibility surrounding ASD.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:07 AM

334 posts, read 188,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Why is this the subject of a poll?

It's a factual question. I don't know what the answer is, but I guarantee that my opinion and the opinions of the other members of City-Data has no relevance to the actual cause.

Public opinion is paramount. Because as it stands now the direction of the current research has been dictated by industry insiders. That however is changing.

What changed it?

Public sentiment.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:09 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
Quote:
Public opinion is paramount. Because as it stands now the direction of the current research has been dictated by industry insiders. That however is changing.

What changed it?

Public sentiment.
Public sentiment has nothing to do with science.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:10 AM

334 posts, read 188,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Public sentiment has nothing to do with science.
Wanna bet?

Public sentiment has nothing to do with the outcome. However it has everything to do with where the research funding goes.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:21 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,661,252 times
Quote:
Wanna bet?

Public sentiment has nothing to do with the outcome. However it has everything to do with where the research funding goes.
Well,, uninformed public sentiment has led a lot of people to avoid getting their children vaccinated against terrible, fatal diseases, and that public sentiment has led to epidemics and deaths.

So you're right, public sentiment is important. It just has nothing to do with determining the cause of autism.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:24 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,466,883 times
Quote:
Wanna bet?

And unfortunately, research funding does affect outcome. Research funding that goes all to one place will turn out 700 studies that gives evidence of one opinion while there may only be 5 studies giving evidence of another opinion. If there are 700 studies proving one way and 5 proving the other way, which side is likely to be given more credibility--even by other scientists? Science is not immune to human bias and opinion as many like to believe. Scientists are human and are capable of being just as biased and opinionated as the general population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.