Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel about Obamas new Gitmo policy
ok with it 6 26.09%
really not happy about it 7 30.43%
glad he is doing the right thing 6 26.09%
worry's me he is moving to the center, to get reelected 4 17.39%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 01:31 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times

Advertisements

We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal.......

If we can't put these "enemy combatants" on trial in US court, because the evidence is detrimental to our security and intelligence efforts, then we should have a different trial system then "military tribunals".

I need some way of knowing that our government isn't detaining people without good reason. Everyone has a right to a fair trial, and not to be detained forever without trial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 01:35 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,825,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal.......

If we can't put these "enemy combatants" on trial in US court, because the evidence is detrimental to our security and intelligence efforts, then we should have a different trial system then "military tribunals".

I need some way of knowing that our government isn't detaining people without good reason. Everyone has a right to a fair trial, and not to be detained forever without trial.
we'll take that as a not happy.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:36 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Tell the truth - that it was never his intent to close Gitmo. But he lied to you to get your vote.
I didn't vote for Obama and if I had, it wouldn't be on just an issue or two, but for everything I saw was within his capacity.

Having said that, you seem disappointed that he didn't shut Gitmo down. Is that a correct assessment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Your question makes no sense ......obviously you are on the wrong thread or dont understand. The op states......This is a question for all those who voted for Obama, I do not fall into that Category. I was one of those saying he was going to do exactly what he did do. The same policy as Bush!! Like ohhh so many other things.
I doubt you voted for Obama, but you started the thread. And since you did, why won't you share your personal opinion on whether he should have made an effort or closed Gitmo? Did you support the idea? It is a very simple question, but not so much if you want to avoid from being put in the right place and the intention behind creating such threads. Try again.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Is.

I think that a candidate for President doesn't know everything the President knows, until they become President. Then, they may take that new information and make new decisions based on new input. Or, perhaps some people just don't give a damn about that, and if the President changes his stance from when they were a candidate, he's just a liar.

Gotta look at the big picture. Some just like to point fingers.
Ahw isnt that empathetic of you ...do you give all elected officials such grace for going back on campaign promises? Listen , If you dont know for sure that you can do something you dont go shooting your mouth off about it. Were talking about the POTUS here.......funny how a lot of other people knew he wouldn't be able to do it and said so.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:44 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
we'll take that as a not happy.
Nope, not happy with my government detaining people with no trial.

We've fought wars over that.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:46 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,523,421 times
It's simple why he didn't

He's going to fill it up

Old 03-08-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I didn't vote for Obama and if I had, it wouldn't be on just an issue or two, but for everything I saw was within his capacity.

Having said that, you seem disappointed that he didn't shut Gitmo down. Is that a correct assessment?

I doubt you voted for Obama, but you started the thread. And since you did, why won't you share your personal opinion on whether he should have made an effort or closed Gitmo? Did you support the idea? It is a very simple question, but not so much if you want to avoid from being put in the right place and the intention behind creating such threads. Try again.
Again , you seem to be confusing me with some one else.......Post #5...............
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
As a progressive who voted for Obama I am disappointed.

I will likely vote for him again, however, considering the alternatives offered from the right who seem more concerned with Obama's birthplace and boys kissing than substantive issues.

It's funny how when Obama does something the right wing agrees with, the conservatives on here still aren't happy-- They post about how Obama is disappointing liberals... They just refuse to acknowledge him positively-- even if he does something rightwingers overwhelmingly agree with. My Response, note the part where i say "I am glad he is doing the right thing", cmon Einstein put down the pipe and focus.
Nonsense ....this next election will be focused much on the same issues the last one was......boys kissing.....not so much! I for one , am glad he is doing the right thing, but I also am not going to miss the opportunity to point out when he (yet again) pulls out on his beloveds who repeatedly are left unsatisfied after falling head over heals in an orgasmic frenzy back in the summer of love. I also am concerned, he is showing he did indeed learn from Clinton as he heads for the center.....my hope is the left will let their collective inner child loose and will keep him tending the nut house.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:48 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Closing Guantánamo Fades as a Priority

Stymied by political opposition and focused on competing priorities, the Obama administration has sidelined efforts to close the Guantánamo prison, making it unlikely that President Obama will fulfill his promise to close it before his term ends in 2013.

“There is a lot of inertia” against closing the prison, “and the administration is not putting a lot of energy behind their position that I can see,” said Senator Carl Levin

He attributed the collapse to some fellow Republicans’ “demagoguery” and the administration’s poor planning and decision-making “paralysis.”
(Lindsey Graham quote)

But Mr. Levin portrayed the administration as unwilling to make a serious effort to exert its influence, contrasting its muted response to legislative hurdles to closing Guantánamo with “very vocal” threats to veto financing for a fighter jet engine it opposes.

They are not really putting their shoulder to the wheel on this issue,” Mr. Levin said of White House officials. “It’s pretty dormant in terms of their public positions.”

“We can’t get anyone to give us a final answer,” he said. “It just goes into a black hole. I don’t know what happens.”
(Graham quote)

His Gitmo position was all talk. He didn't want to close it - whatever the reason. He acted like he wanted to do it. He lied.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:58 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post

Actually I would like it to be a revolving door. Kill the guilty. Release the innocent back to their country. Make the trials brief and move on.

But it's still indicative of who Obama is and what he will say to get a vote.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

His Gitmo position was all talk. He didn't want to close it - whatever the reason. He acted like he wanted to do it. He lied.
This is the bottom line......many of us saw this in every thing else he said , like ending the War and pulling out Immediately , turns out he stayed the course just as if Bush were still in there. It is not that difficult, I really just wanted to get an idea how those who supported him felt about it. some are honest others want to play word games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies