Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 10:55 AM

1,730 posts, read 1,363,255 times

Advertisements

166 still detained, 166 being ignored by Obama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 11:18 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,591,255 times
I'm not a fan of Mr. Obama, but it's not really accurate to say he lied. To be a lie, he would have had to say he would close it while having no intention to do so. He did make some effort but found that those that were complaining about it weren't willing to put their money where their mouths were when it was time to find alternatives. Since then, I think he realized that things are a little different when you occupy the Oval Office from when you can lob complaints and speak in platitudes - though he has not given up those practices.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:33 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,468,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoD Guy View Post
Have you always been so concerned about the plight of foreign terror suspects, or is that a relatively new development?

Old 03-19-2013, 11:36 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,295,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I'm not a fan of Mr. Obama, but it's not really accurate to say he lied. To be a lie, he would have had to say he would close it while having no intention to do so. He did make some effort but found that those that were complaining about it weren't willing to put their money where their mouths were when it was time to find alternatives. Since then, I think he realized that things are a little different when you occupy the Oval Office from when you can lob complaints and speak in platitudes - though he has not given up those practices.
The OP needs to do a little research, it's not that difficult.
The Rs said that they would vote against it, and they had the majority.

But DoD Guy, if you work for the DoD, I'm sure it was discussed ad naseum during his first term when Obama attempted to close it.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:38 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
He did say he would close it. Only he doesn't have the power to act on his own.
Don't make promises that you have no power over is the moral of the story.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:40 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,117,283 times
Quote:
Why did DoD Guy lie in his thread?

1 thread started, 1 thread being ignored by DoD Guy.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:44 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,498,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
He did say he would close it. Only he doesn't have the power to act on his own.
Don't make promises that you have no power over is the moral of the story.
Candidate Obama did what all candidates for office do. They say that if we elect them they will do such and such. I believe they're best intentioned when they say most of these things. But they learn that we live in a democracy, not a dictatorship. There are constitutional divisions of power, and even dissent within our own administration. None of these people really know the extent of what they can do until they assume the office, and even then it takes some time to learn the full truth.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:47 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Candidate Obama did what all candidates for office do. They say that if we elect them they will do such and such. I believe they're best intentioned when they say most of these things. But they learn that we live in a democracy, not a dictatorship. There are constitutional divisions of power, and even dissent within our own administration. None of these people really know the extent of what they can do until they assume the office, and even then it takes some time to learn the full truth.
See that's where we probably disagree.

They promise the world to all the various groups but you have to look hard to see what they can do by themselves because whatever they may want may not be in their power.

And it's up to the voters to know and understand just what they CAN do by themselves.

One promise he could have done was kick the lobbyists out of DC and not have them on staff as he gets to pick his staff. And that was one promise I did which he had kept.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:53 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,246,149 times
Quote:
Sounds like you're not up to speed with current events, or even past events.
Sorry, but I just had to dig you. Most of Americans know why the place wasn't shuttered, I'm here to help you understand why.

It's Congress' Fault That Guantánamo Is Still Open - Room for Debate - NYTimes.com

Quote:
Yet three years after Obama promised to close the most infamous prison in the world today, and 10 years after the first detainee was brought there, Guantánamo remains open, with no foreseeable shelf life date. Why? The principal culprit is Congress. Adopting a short-sighted “not in my backyard” attitude, Congress has barred Obama from transferring any detainees to the United States, not even to stand trial in a criminal court, and has put onerous conditions on their being transferred to any other country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Why did DoD Guy lie in his thread?

1 thread started, 1 thread being ignored by DoD Guy.
Mmmmm, wanted to find out if libruls knew the answer?

Old 03-19-2013, 11:56 AM

2,635 posts, read 3,513,065 times
Quote:
What do you propose we do with them:

[ ] Send them to their home country (if there are any willing to take them back)
[ ] Release them to a 3rd country (if there are any willing to take them)
[ ] Transfer them to a prison in a 3rd country (again, if there are any willing to take them)
[ ] Transfer them to a U.S. prison (blocked by Congress)
[ ] Release them on U.S. territory as immigrants (yeah, right...)
[ ] OTHER (please explain)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies