Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 05:16 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,052,389 times

Advertisements

Feminism is not monolithic in nature. For example, there are anti-(hetero)sex feminists, but there are also sex-positive feminists who adore the sexual companionship of men. There are feminists who believe in true equality for both males and females, and there are those who support the notion of equality only when it's beneficial to women.

I think the negative stereotypes of feminism arise from the increasing influence of its more radical elements of thought (Mackinnon, Dworkin, Craft, et al.). Radical feminism seems largely structured on a virulently anti-male platform which tends to politicize virtually every aspect of female/male relationships. By its very structure, it sets up females as oppressed and males as oppressors. Women and girls become "victims" by virtue of their being female.

What should constitute feminism is a dedication to sex-based equality. With the understanding that equality is a two-way street: earned praise is balanced by legitimate criticism, rewards are measured through achievement, and respect goes hand-in-hand with responsibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 05:18 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,311,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Feminism became a dirty word when the pendulum swang too far off the mark.

Equal pay for equal work, sure - what reasonable person can't see the fairness in that?

But when feminazi types do their best to convince other women that all men are dogs and that no real woman "needs" one in her life they are hurting the very fabic of our society.

Note to radical feminists - Real women love men, real women value men, real women understand the importance of giving their children involved fathers.
I think real women should realize that they have a choice, and shouldn't try to impress their own dogma on other women and create a rift between the sisterhood of women. There is always action and reaction. Reactionary forces can be just as radical and oppressive as the action end (the feminazis).

If some woman thinks she can live without a man, wonderful! If a woman wants to be traditional, wonderful! Let them all respect each other.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:19 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
I think real women should realize that they have a choice, and shouldn't try to impress their own dogma on other women and create a rift between the sisterhood of women. There is always action and reaction. Reactionary forces can be just as radical and oppressive as the feminazis.

If some woman thinks she can live without a man, wonderful! If a woman wants to be traditional, wonderful! Let them all respect each other.

EXACTLY

Respecting choices is what it SHOULD be all about

Old 03-08-2011, 05:20 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerpokerpoker View Post
Femenists don't have any intrest in men what so ever. So Femenists are basicly either asexual or lesbian.
And here I thought we were living in the 21st Century.

Goes off to check the date on his calendar.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:22 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,213,196 times
Quote:
Again!

Old 03-08-2011, 05:24 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,280,240 times
Not sure if REAL feminist exist and not those who play the gender card in an a couple of issues or situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
I never considered myself a feminist up until recently when I realized just how appalling I find the whole father giving his daughter away to her husband like some piece of land that comes with traditional marriage. It’s something I had never even thought about before.
Father giving away his daughter, “you may kiss the bride”, the man kneeling and buying or convincing his girl with a jewel, the whole wedding focusing on the bride, etc. I rather walk with my girl down the aisle together, prefer “you may kiss each other”, would like to be honored and celebrated as well, etc.

Quote:
I am of course also right behind women’s rights, e.g. equal pay etc.
Me too. Unless it was a job that required physical strength (for example, construction) where the woman in the job offers less than half of what the men around her do and yet she expects to be paid the same.

Quote:
It’s also seen by a lot of people as women being unclear about what they want – some complain when a man doesn’t open the door/pull out their chair/pay the cheque, but then some become insulted when a man does these things. They find it degrading, i.e. I am an independent women and I am completely capable of doing these things myself, thank you very much
Those feminists that complain because a man didn’t pay for her food, drinks, wine, entertainment, etc. and didn’t open her door, hold the umbrella, etc. just cherry pick where they want equality and where it doesn’t benefit them.

Quote:
So what do you think makes someone a feminist?
Feminists cry for equality. I guess a feminist would be the one who REALLY means it when she says she wants equality in the work field, manners (chivalry going both ways), in relationships (both paying right off the bat and not after months/years of initial stages), romancing, marriage proposal, etc.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:25 PM

90 posts, read 153,792 times
Quote:
I think real women should realize that they have a choice, and shouldn't try to impress their own dogma on other women and create a rift between the sisterhood of women. There is always action and reaction. Reactionary forces can be just as radical and oppressive as the action end (the feminazis).

So now it's "traditonal" to want a man? I thought it was biology.

ONLY women feel the need to make such a point all the time that they're alot more happy while being single... I have never seen a man say he would never like to have a woman. But I've seen more than plenty of women say they never want a man. Femenist or not.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:26 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
I think feminism is the ability to choose to be a traditional or career-oriented woman, etc. The radical feminism that say all male penetration is rape, and that men are some scorge on the earth, etc. I call those people feminazis, not feminists

Old 03-08-2011, 05:27 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,213,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Father giving away his daughter, “you may kiss the bride”, the man kneeling and buying or convincing his girl with a jewel, the whole wedding focusing on the bride, etc. I rather walk with my girl down the aisle together, prefer “you may kiss each other”, would like to be honored and celebrated as well, etc.

I like the sound of that!!

Old 03-08-2011, 05:27 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
I don’t believe all men would rape if they got the chance. That’s ludicrous. Clearly it sounds like these women were quite extreme.
You bringing this up have lost all credibility....

Rape has nothing to do with being a feminist or not....So why bring it up?

Women have raped men....

http://www.feministcritics.org/blog/...n-rape-men-rp/

Woman on trial for raping 10 men | Say What?

Sorry, if you do not like my links there are many more out there....go find one you like....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies