Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2011, 07:37 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,532,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Fair enough. If you were a woman, would "quite good" be good enough for you, or would you keep on working towards equality?
Women have all rights that men have. Thus equality.

Your question assumes much. How do you know that I believe men have it "quite good." I did not say that.
I think women have it good in this country. And even more than good so I added the qualifier quite to my statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 07:40 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,295,951 times
[MOD CUT]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I'm all for equal job/equal pay...but what is it with some of the more gung ho feminists (ones I've known over the years) who try to "de-sex" themselves, or purposely look unattractive? The ones who seem to have a "uniform" - Dockers, clunky shoes, unflattering eye glasses, no makeup, etc. The character "Pat" from SNL sometimes comes to mind, but the women I'm talking about were quite obviously female. And no, I don't think they were all lesbians, either (some of them may have been). Is it to avoid looking "feminine" or fear of attention from the "enemy"? And they always seem to be so angry.
What does it matter to you what other people (who happen to be women) choose to do with themselves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Feminist

(n.): a woman who challenges a man to a fist fight because she thinks she can win, but as soon as the guy punches back she claims the guy should not be hitting women and makes a huge scene about how all men beat women.

(adj.) a word describing a woman with complete disdain for any kind or caring gestures from a man, yet quick to complain if a man doesn't do something
So now you’re making up definitions?
[MOD CUT]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 03-09-2011 at 08:48 AM.. Reason: response to deleted post

Old 03-09-2011, 07:41 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,204,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Feminism became a dirty word when the pendulum swang too far off the mark.

Equal pay for equal work, sure - what reasonable person can't see the fairness in that?

But when feminazi types do their best to convince other women that all men are dogs and that no real woman "needs" one in her life they are hurting the very fabic of our society.

Note to radical feminists - Real women love men, real women value men, real women understand the importance of giving their children involved fathers.
That's quite..heteronormative.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:43 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,572,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Women have all rights that men have. Thus equality.

Your question assumes much. How do you know that I believe men have it "quite good." I did not say that.
I think women have it good in this country. And even more than good so I added the qualifier quite to my statement.
Let's just pick one thing. Salary. If you were earning 30% less than an equally qualified co-worker, the only difference being gender, wouldn't you be angry?

Equal Pay and the Gender Gap: Men Still Outearn Women - TIME

Women's Earnings as a Percentage of Men's, 1951–2008 — Infoplease.com

Old 03-09-2011, 07:46 AM

Default What do you think makes a woman a feminist?

Sad truth what makes a woman a feminist in todays society; unfortunately anger and frustration more often than not.

Women have equal rights now so what would make a woman take on the feminist platform today is usually some deep-seated unhappiness, bitterness, or resentment with their life.

The truth is I don't see feminists in an attractive light. This is to their detriment. Woman have ruined it for themselves.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Let's just pick one thing. Salary. If you were earning 30% less than an equally qualified co-worker, the only difference being gender, wouldn't you be angry?

Equal Pay and the Gender Gap: Men Still Outearn Women - TIME

Women's Earnings as a Percentage of Men's, 1951–2008 — Infoplease.com
Yes. and per your own article here are some explanations for this pay ineqauality:

Skeptics who deem the 77% estimate too optimistic also note that the figure only counts women working full-time (35 hours a week or more, for the full year) and doesn't account for the fact that women are far more likely to take time off to start a family or work part-time while rearing one. Over a period of 15 years, according to a 2004 study by the Institute for Women's Policy Research (IWPR), a full 52% of women in the prime earning age range of 26 to 59 go through at least one full calendar year earning nothing at all, compared with just 16% of men. Those choices make a difference: over that span, female workers earn just 38% of what men make — making the wage gap twice as large as the census figure[/LEFT]

Old 03-09-2011, 07:50 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,572,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Yes. and per your own article here are some explanations for this pay ineqauality:

Skeptics who deem the 77% estimate too optimistic also note that the figure only counts women working full-time (35 hours a week or more, for the full year) and doesn't account for the fact that women are far more likely to take time off to start a family or work part-time while rearing one. Over a period of 15 years, according to a 2004 study by the Institute for Women's Policy Research (IWPR), a full 52% of women in the prime earning age range of 26 to 59 go through at least one full calendar year earning nothing at all, compared with just 16% of men. Those choices make a difference: over that span, female workers earn just 38% of what men make — making the wage gap twice as large as the census figure
Yes, that makes the disparity even worse. You didn't answer my question though. If you were earning less than an equally qualified co-worker, the only difference being gender, wouldn't you be angry?

Old 03-09-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Yes, that makes the disparity even worse. You didn't answer my question though. If you were earning less than an equally qualified co-worker, the only difference being gender, wouldn't you be angry?
If I was doing the same work and making a lot less I would not necessarily get angry but would go speak to my employer and find out why and get it addressed. Going around angry doesn't solve the problem.

I have never made less or more than an equally qualifed member of the opposite sex performing the same job description. Never. And have been employed since I was 18.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:09 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,636,683 times
To me a Feminist is simply a woman who knows she is the equal of any man and self confident enough to realise that she has the same rights as any man .

I do not like stridently "feminist" women however who often seem to think they are not equal but superior to men , or women who constantly see themselves as victims.

The gap between men and women has thank goodness narrowed in the last couple of decades but there is still work to be done to achieve parity of pay for example in certain sectors , and there are still some machismo patriarchal attitudes lingering .

However I think a lot of people seem to confuse the idea of equality with sameness which to me are quite different issues. I am the equal of any man but I am also different . I have no desire to be a man and I respect our differences. It is what makes us stronger, more interesting and ultimately better human beings IMO.

Our strengths and weaknesses often lie in different areas.

All women should be Feminists in my opinion and fight for equal rights. All women should accept that they are not inferior to any men but I have a real problem with women who demand quotas or so called "positive discrimination" for example as I find it intellectually disingenuous and counter intuitive socially.

You do the same job as a man , you get paid the same. Whether you are female, male, young, old, black, white or yellow with purple spots. If you can't hack it in a male dominated role ( such as in the army) then you should not be in it. If however you have proven that you can fulfill the same criteria then there should be NO barriers to your advancement in those areas and no whining from men. Many men do find themselves threatened by strong able women and that to me is simply pathetic and a little sad.

For too long women have been considered good pretty much only for domestic drudgery and to service men sexually. That to me is grossly offensive.

I for one have no interest in domestic issues, rearing children or being a good "little wife.

This does not mean I am defective or somehow some hairy butch she-male. I am extremely feminine and have no desire to emulate or ape men. I demand respect and I give it back.

Women make up 50% of the world's population so it seems rather stupid to simply assign one role to them, rather short sighted.

An intelligent society should be utilising people's skills, talents and strengths regardless of their sex. Anything else is quite frankly idiotic.

I am fed up with people who think Feminists only come in one shape ,"men haters" (basically because to me anything but the essence of femininity). It shows a great deal of insecurity to be stridently "feminist".

Many women have a right to be annoyed and angry about the treatment they receive, and they have the right to fight for certain rights. But IMO they should not negate all this by pretending to be men. We can be as good as men and not be like them.

We are different, our bodies are different and as unpopular as this is for some women to accept our brains do work differently. Does it make us any less intelligent,strong, capable ? Absolutely not.

Both sides need to recognise and embraces those differences and stop playing silly games of who is bigger/tougher/better etc... I find this utterly childish.

I am a Feminist because I am a woman. I believe I am no better AND no worse than a man. What I bring to the table is as valuable as what a man does.

I want no special treatment and do not wish to be patronised with "positive discrimination". I want to get somewhere because I am good enough and deserve to not because I have ovaries .

This does require equality under the law BUT not special treatment. Simply a fair and equal distributions of rights AND duties.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:15 AM

419 posts, read 869,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
To me a Feminist is simply a woman who knows she is the equal of any man and self confident enough to realise that she has the same rights as any man .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I am a Feminist because I am a woman. I believe I am no better AND no worse than a man. What I bring to the table is as valuable as what a man does.

I want no special treatment and do not wish to be patronised with "positive discrimination". I want to get somewhere because I am good enough and deserve to not because I have ovaries .

This does require equality under the law BUT not special treatment. Simply a fair and equal distributions of rights AND duties.
I'd write my own response to the OP, but you said what I was thinking. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies