Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2011, 08:54 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,933,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Sad truth what makes a woman a feminist in todays society; unfortunately anger and frustration more often than not.

Women have equal rights now so what would make a woman take on the feminist platform today is usually some deep-seated unhappiness, bitterness, or resentment with their life.

The truth is I don't see feminists in an attractive light. This is to their detriment. Woman have ruined it for themselves.
Oh, really? Women have equal rights now? When did the ERA pass giving women equal rights? The last I noticed, it didn't - meaning voters did not give women equal rights under the law. Hmmmm. Why would anyone NOT want women to have equal rights under the law? Very strange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 08:56 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,574,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
No its like any class designation they want specail treatment as a protected class that the government gives special consideration to like nay other now days. Mandate enforcemnt of being hire tot heir numbners like most;nt by abbility or being eqaully considered. Its the normal class warfare .
Well I for one don't want that. But I would like to know that people are hired based on suitability for the job, and on merit, which has not been the case up until now because some women have been hired to boost numbers, but let's face it more women have not been hired because they are women. Both practices are wrong.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:00 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,533,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Oh, really? Women have equal rights now? When did the ERA pass giving women equal rights? The last I noticed, it didn't - meaning voters did not give women equal rights under the law. Hmmmm. Why would anyone NOT want women to have equal rights under the law? Very strange.
Who doesn't want women to have equal rights?

I said women already do.

With the simple definition of a feminist all women and most people in general would consider themselves a feminist; advocating equal rights. A no-brainer.

However what people have in their minds as the typical "feminist woman" is a militant, strident, overbearing, bitter, and yes, forgive me but I can't help myself: FEMI-NAZI lol!

Old 03-09-2011, 09:00 AM

88,625 posts, read 84,895,898 times
Quote:
You are correct of course with your definition of a feminist as others have previously confirmed.

However the OP didn't ask what the definition of the word but "what do you think makes a woman a feminist?"

So it goes beyond the mere meaning.

<snip>
For those who have wild ideas that go beyond the mere meaning, it's good to put the actual definition out there in the hope that some of the more bizarre and sick attachments to the word are corrected. Such as:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Eight aborted kids, kids who ended up in the trash bucket of an abortionist but feminists despise a homemaker with eight kids too much for that woman to want to be one.

Strong women who love their babies tend to call themselves anti-feminists.

<snip>
This is beyond the beyonds.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:04 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,287,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
I never considered myself a feminist up until recently when I realised just how appalling I find the whole father giving his daughter away to her husband like some piece of land that comes with traditional marriage. It’s something I had never even thought about before.
Wow, that went right over your head.

It is about your husband becoming part of your birth family and you and your life's mate starting your own family.
Father walking the bride down the isle to her future husband is an act of trust for her choice in the man she is to be with, he's not taking the car in for an oil change or anything.

You are not ready for any marriage for some time if you are posting like this.

Public school educated it seems?

Old 03-09-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Who doesn't want women to have equal rights?

I said women already do.

With the simple definition of a feminist all women and most people in general would consider themselves a feminist; advocating equal rights. A no-brainer.

However what people have in their minds as the typical "feminist woman" is a militant, strident, overbearing, bitter, and yes, forgive me but I can't help myself: FEMI-NAZI lol!
[MOD CUT] Study the history of the ERA. It never passed. That means people voted it down - meaning people did not want women to have equal rights. Women do not have equal rights under the law.

The disparity in pay is but one example.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 03-09-2011 at 11:01 AM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 03-09-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Wow, that went right over your head.

It is about your husband becoming part of your birth family and you and your life's mate starting your own family.
Father walking the bride down the isle to her future husband is an act of trust for her choice in the man she is to be with, he's not taking the car in for an oil change or anything.

You are not ready for any marriage for some time if you are posting like this.

Public school educated it seems?
[MOD CUT] . A father giving away the bride is a direct remnant of when women were considered chattel . . . study history, people!

Last edited by Ibginnie; 03-09-2011 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: Flamming

Old 03-09-2011, 09:38 AM

36,566 posts, read 30,900,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Eight aborted kids, kids who ended up in the trash bucket of an abortionist but feminists despise a homemaker with eight kids too much for that woman to want to be one.

Strong women who love their babies tend to call themselves anti-feminists. Sarah Palin for example makes the feminists absolutely livid even if she had a higher paying job than her husband, and might consider running for president and isn't afraid to speak her mind.

Feminism has nothing to do with wages or equality with men. Feminists despise Sarah Palin because she had 5 kids she didn't abort and a grandchild on top of that that didn't get aborted.

Oh and she's somewhat conservative in other ways. Something else feminists despise with all their might.
What the heck are you talking about?
I am a strong women, I love my kids and grandkids. I have a career, I have been a student, a homemaker and a wife. I am a feminist. Im a republican, I am a baptist and I am pro-choice. I even like Sara Palin. I am a feminist.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:39 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,203,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
It's amazing at how ignorant so many people are. A father giving away the bride is a direct remnant of when women were considered chattel . . . study history, people!
A father (and/or mother) giving away the bride is a tradition which, like most, has a meaning that has changed over time.

My dad gave me away and it meant a lot to me. Because it meant, "This is the little girl, now a woman, whom I have loved and cherished and protected and provided for. I am now trusting you (my future son-in-law) to do the same." The "chattel" of past years was never even thought about.

My DH and dad actually talked about it before the wedding. Maybe I should add here that they grew to have a very good relationship and were great friends.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
A father (and/or mother) giving away the bride is a tradition which, like most, has a meaning that has changed over time.

My dad gave me away and it meant a lot to me. Because it meant, "This is the little girl, now a woman, whom I have loved and cherished and protected and provided for. I am now trusting you (my future son-in-law) to do the same." The "chattel" of past years was never even thought about.

My DH and dad actually talked about it before the wedding. Maybe I should add here that they grew to have a very good relationship and were great friends.
My point is that most people do not know the history of traditions . . . the origin of the tradition has meaning, even if it is now subconscious . . . a man "taking care of his daughter" and then "giving her" to her husband . . . is sexist . . . might be sweet, but is still sexist.

In most cases the mother also cares for her daughter, but she does not have "the right" to give the "property" away - the "property" BELONGS to the male and that is why the male gives "it" away.

At the very least people should know the origin of the traditions and think about the meaning a little bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies