Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Support Tax Dollars for Non-Profit Groups Like NPR
Yes 27 47.37%
No 30 52.63%
Unsure 0 0%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-09-2011, 09:21 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,134,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
Take the poll and explain why you voted that way.

The government has no business taking our money and giving it to PBS, NPR, etc. I dont know how any of you can even try to justify it.
Just like how the government takes money from you to support the Smithsonian Institute, the National Gallery of Art, and the Library of Congress which guess what... has other things that books about Congress.

Without such funding this country of ignoramuses would be even more ignorant, if that is at all possible, inundated by creationist; Beckian historians; The Charlie Sheen-Lindsey Loham-Mel Gibbson channel; 2000 channels of blow dried evangelist, infomercials, and sports programing.

Anything else I can help you with?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 10:35 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,285,750 times
No. Shouldn't be government funded. Way too one-sided. I tried listening to my local NPR station a couple weeks ago - hadn't in a loooooong time, but after listening to a program about how to grow marijuana followed by one on anti-cop poetry from the 60's, I just couldn't stomach it anymore and switched stations. Sorry, people who aren't far leaning leftists shouldn't be forced to have our tax dollars pay for this stuff. Even PBS drives me crazy these days with all the inappropriate propaganda inserts into kids' programs about ways to save the planet, etc. Nope. Time to defund.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:45 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,288,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Just like how the government takes money from you to support the Smithsonian Institute, the National Gallery of Art, and the Library of Congress which guess what... has other things that books about Congress.

Without such funding this country of ignoramuses would be even more ignorant, if that is at all possible, inundated by creationist; Beckian historians; The Charlie Sheen-Lindsey Loham-Mel Gibbson channel; 2000 channels of blow dried evangelist, infomercials, and sports programing.

Anything else I can help you with?
How does NPR and PBS sit on the same level as the Smithsonian, the National Gallery of Art and the Library of Congress?

Old 03-10-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
How does NPR and PBS sit on the same level as the Smithsonian, the National Gallery of Art and the Library of Congress?
Damn sure do. Who else provided a platform for, Carl Sagan's Cosmos? Who provided a venue for Ken Burn's Civil War, National Parks , Jazz and The War? Who provided the funding and platform for Henry Hampton's Eye's on the Prize? Just a few of the most important documentary works of that later 20th Century?

Who else produces Nova, Frontline, American Experience? The vast majority of money granted by the Corporation for Public Broadcasting goes to independent producers of original content, as such CPB is the largest funder of documentary programing.

So ask yourself, who is developing CONTENT to be housed by the Smithsonian and the Library of Congress that records who we are as a nation in the 20th and 21st century?

Old 03-10-2011, 11:25 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,796,926 times
Television and radio are such wastelands of creativity anymore; so, the local public broadcasters provide the only oasis for me. It's my personal preference and people shouldn't have to fund my personal preference if they don't want to. It's my opinion that my local broadcasters could survive without federal funding (the radio more so than the television broadcaster) even though I live in a rural area, but I would miss them if they did go.

The again I prefer not to subsidize fences for farmers even though it provides a benefit for the farmer.

We all have to do things we don't want to do.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:14 AM

998 posts, read 1,217,982 times
New Video… NPR Planned on Taking $5 Million From Radical Islamic Group & Hiding It From Government
Big Government[/url] posted Part II of the Project Veritas[/url] investigation of NPR:
On Tuesday, Project Veritas released Part 1 of its investigation of National Public Radio. The investigation, in which Project Veritas investigators posed as members of a fictional group founded by “members of the Muslim Brotherhood,†was widely reported in the media and produced a dramatic response from NPR and its board members.
The following video contains conversations between Project Veritas undercover investigator, Simon Templar, and Betsy Liley, NPR’s Senior Director of Institutional Giving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P64rm...layer_embedded

Old 03-11-2011, 06:19 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,288,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Damn sure do. Who else provided a platform for, Carl Sagan's Cosmos? Who provided a venue for Ken Burn's Civil War, National Parks , Jazz and The War? Who provided the funding and platform for Henry Hampton's Eye's on the Prize? Just a few of the most important documentary works of that later 20th Century?

Who else produces Nova, Frontline, American Experience? The vast majority of money granted by the Corporation for Public Broadcasting goes to independent producers of original content, as such CPB is the largest funder of documentary programing.

So ask yourself, who is developing CONTENT to be housed by the Smithsonian and the Library of Congress that records who we are as a nation in the 20th and 21st century?
The Smithsonian and the Library of Congress lean left?

Old 03-11-2011, 06:35 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,813,228 times
Quote:
Take the poll and explain why you voted that way.

The government has no business taking our money and giving it to PBS, NPR, etc. I dont know how any of you can even try to justify it.
So, on the one hand you claim to want to hear why it's necessary, but on the other hand you don't want to hear any reason at all.

Quote:
If you like NPR so much, then donate yourself. Or they can have ads as much regular media. Why should they get an advantage with tax dollars over other media?
Because regular media is in full service to infomercial sales. One way or another no subject can be spoken about truthfully without threats to 'sales'.

Quote:
What is really, really sad about all this. We are facing a major debt crisis.
What's really sad is that you've supported the very people putting sugar in the gas tank of the economy all along and blame the automotive industry. You still don't want to believe you're guilty and you absolutely are.

Quote:

Also, look up some of the salaries of these people who work at these "non-profit" groups.

Jim DeMint: Public Broadcasting Should Go Private - WSJ.com
[/quote]
There is a PAC committee- republicans for abortion. Her entire existence is justifying her existence. That's what lobbyists do. Every not for profit is not alike and if you're running a 'charity' or 'religion' and pay yourself millions, I do not see how 95% of funds being called 'overhead' makes them a credible charity. So, the prevailing wages for what job? Who invented that price tag? It came from board rooms throughout corporate America. They concocted a separate economy for themselves, rewrote accounting standards, rewrote the law, America be damned. There is no allegiance to America in a corporation. There are only 'enlightened self interests' serving themselves but their vote trumps all others.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:45 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,559,737 times
Quote:
What is really, really sad about all this. We are facing a major debt crisis. These idiot politicians want us to believe that there is little to cut. Guess what morons? You could start with something small like tax payer money for NPR and other groups. My God! That is an EASY thing to cut. Why is it even something you have to think about or debate?!?!?! If they cant even get themselves to admit that its wrong and cut something as simple as that....then people....WE ARE IN BIG BIG TROUBLE.

A Dem politician today on C-Span said you "can't make cuts with a hammer...you've got to chisel away delicately". Well, I got news for you, if you spend money with the speed and intensity of a nail gun, then you better believe we'll need to make spending cuts with a hammer!

Old 03-11-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
The Smithsonian and the Library of Congress lean left?
Perhaps someday, opponents of the CPB, NPR, and PBS can point to specific instances of bias in their programing out side of the tiny percentage of opinion based broadcasts (which I will stipulate for the sole purpose of not bogging down this conversation in bull**** innuendo is to the left of Mao/Satan and whoever you would prefer).

By the way, an interesting survey conducted by the CPB regarding perception of bias in PBS programing.

CPB: Objectivity and Balance: National Opinion Polls Summary

Another study that considers that PBS is biased towards Washington and big business.

PBS Responds to FAIR Studies

Which brings up another interesting issue. When you consider PBS's major underwriters (Fortune 500 corporations and their philanthropic trusts) it begs the question of what kind of bias PBS, and NPR might possess that keeps assumably conservative boards of directors and CEO funneling money to such a biased organization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies