Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2011, 07:41 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I guess the OP sends bills to his freinds for helpig in a disaster also.
Classy isn't he?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 07:43 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I know, I know--it's the right thing to do--helping Japan in their hour of need!

But we have enough problems of our own right here, and badly-needed aid for our own citizens is, instead, going to over to one of the richest countries in the world. Now Japan holds roughly 750 billion of our treasuries. Is it too much to ask that we aid Japan now with the understanding that the cost of our aid will be subtracted from what we owe them? We cannot be the money till for every country on earth that experiences a cataclysm. We're already broke enough as it is, teetering on the brink of bankruptcy.
Good luck with that. I don't see it

Old 03-14-2011, 10:06 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
I read the title of this thread with disbelief!! Could someone truly be serious in proposing that we bill Japan for our assistance? It is astonishing to me that anyone could even think of something like this while Japan is experiencing perhaps their biggest disaster in history. It is their own Armaggdon. Many there have lost everything, their homes, their jobs, their belongings...but more importantly, their families. Part of their country lays in ruin.

Japan is one of our most important allies. Is this how we treat our friends?

The Japanese people are proud and self reliant, but in these dire circumstances they could use our assistance. They are industrious and will rebuild much faster than other nations where disasters have occured. (Hati! where the millions that were donated often landed in the hands of dishonest government officials)

I say YES to assisting Japan. It is not as if somehow our government has to choose...hmm, should we help Japan or should we immediately spend money on our people...homless, drug addicts, etc. It is not an either/or situation.
If you feel that strongly, shouldn't you hop off the next flight you take over to Japan, roll up your shirt sleeves and start shoveling debris into dump trucks? Of course, while you're pitching in over there, millions of your fellow countrymen (and children) will be scrounging trashcans looking for tonight's meal, but that apparently doesn't break your heart enough to focus on their plight, does it? Contrary to what you say, it IS an either/or situation when monies are stretched so thin.

Bottom line: we start over here. When our people have been raised to the living standard Japan had before the quake, then we start pitching in to help other nations.

And notice I didn't say not to help with private labor or money. If you feel that strongly, put your money where your mouth is and send a paycheck or two or three over there. They would greatly appreciate it.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:25 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,739,050 times
I think basicly it would depend on whether or not Japan has billed other countries for the help they have given as a government body, as they are one of the main providers of support to other countries during disasters. Obviously NGO charities would not need to be repaid, such as Red Cross, and the various other charities. Not sure about government aid.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwaswon View Post
You all do understand that Japan has no aircraft carriers etc., no army of their own to depend on .
When they lost the War , they signed a treaty that forbid it . We are Japans Army , we promised this as the treaty was signed by both sides. We must help Japan at this time , it is our duty.
I'm afraid you are woefully msinformed. Japan's treaty forbids in to engage in offesensive military action. Japan as a very able armed force contingent known as the Japan Self Defense Force.

Japan Self-Defense Forces - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
The JSDF numbered 239,430 in 2005 with 147,737 in the Ground Self-Defense Force, 44,327 in the Maritime Self-Defense Force, 45,517 in the Air Self-Defense Force, and 1,849 in the Joint Staff Office. Reserves numbered 57,899.[8]

Old 03-14-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Time reports that the economic impact will not be that great because the tsunami hit a generally undeveloped region of mostly farmland.
They have going to take a momentary hit right now they don't have enough electricity, auto makers have already matched plant shut downs.

The irony here is the rebuilding may actually INCREASE the GDP of Japan in the future. After the 1995 Kobe earthquake nominal GDP actually increased 20%.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:15 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,735,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
How do you think Japan can pay? Japan was insolvent before this disaster. I can't even imagine how they are going to afford the rebuilding that is in front of them.

My answer is an emphatic NO.
Exactly. They were going through one of the worst recessions in their history before the earthquake hit, and now this. Japan is not exactly a country who would willingly accept help from others you know, what with their pride and all that. They turned down all foreign help in their last earthquake disaster that killed 6000+ people. The fact that they decided to accept foreign help, including help from long time bitter rivals / enemies like China and South Korea, tells you how badly they're hurt at the moment.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:33 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,735,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
So this country is already paying for their military expenses (100%) so that they don't have the burden of paying for a bloated military budget that takes up at least 25% of our budget. It's nice that they are able to save and pay for their own troubles. A better idea would be to bill Japan for use of our military to defend them from others.
Well, it's the US and its allies that forced Japan to sign that treaty that forbids them from having an Army, aircfraft carrier, etc. How can you bill Japan for services they're forbidden to do and therefore must rely on the US because it's the US who forbids them in the first place? The Allies practically rewrote Japan's constitution after WW2

Old 03-14-2011, 03:19 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
How do you know this? It's just a forum. Nobody wins prizes or $$ based on rep points.
I think it's called "hunger for recognition". You explain to me how someone who has made 2000 posts ends up with a 20,000 reputation?
That's roughly 10 reps for every single post the person makes!

Old 03-14-2011, 06:11 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,778,716 times
Default Make Japan pay for help

The United States owes Japan 644 Billion dollars should we subtract the cost from what we owe for the help we are giving them now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies