Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 07:35 AM

25 posts, read 74,210 times

Advertisements

I wasnt born yet when the vietnam war was going on, but I have been reading that most of the population back in the states had hatred for the soldiers over there fighting, just wondering why that was? Im assuming because the people were getting tired of hearing about the war and took it out on those that decided to serve in it? Well, if this is true, then we are approaching that same sentiment again, it wont be to long before people get tired of hearing about the two wars we are in now, and possibly getting ready to start another one? People will first take it out on the elected to office in washington, then after awhile, they begin to have hatred for the troops who decide to serve. It may not seem that way with all the support our troops signs we see all over, but I believe what happened in vietnam will happen again once people get sick of hearing about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 07:41 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,209,541 times
The sentiment of an era will vary. Right now there is still widespread "I hate Bush and Cheney" sentiment but also a very strong national memory of the shameful and disgraceful way returning Vietnam veterans were treated. I don't think we will see a return anytime soon to heaping hatred on our troops and I hope I am long gone from the scene if such becomes commonplace once again.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:00 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,869,039 times
Veterans deserve to be honored, regardless of which conflict they served in, soldiers don't create the conflicts.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:15 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,325,155 times
The war in Vietnam was considered by many to be a senseless war.

It was manned primarily by the draft which was feared and hated. Some young men publicly burned their draft cards. The lottery system of the draft scared all of us. We'd watch it on TV and pray that our loved ones and friends were not included.

It's also important to realize what the mood of the country was in the 60's and 70s. There was a "free love" and "flower power" tone among the younger generation.

We're not experiencing that with Iraq and Afghanistan. The US was attacked and the mindset of the country was/is retaliatory because of the mass murder of our folks.

I agree with what Cunucu Beach wrote. The treatment of our troops during Vietnam was shameful and hateful. I don't think we will see that happen again. If we do, I hope it's not in my lifetime. Our military is us and our vets are also us. They deserve recognition and respect.

Last edited by Ketabcha; 03-15-2011 at 08:26 AM..

Old 03-15-2011, 08:22 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,191,350 times
I wasn't born yet when the vietnam war was going on, but I know enough to have respect for our soldiers, whether we are "tired" of hearing about the wars or not. Do you honestly believe the hatred was because people were tired of hearing about the war? People were ANGRY, and FED UP with the way the country was being run. They just took it out on the wrong people, and it was shameful- but at least the vast majority of people back then had enough brains to care about what was going on in the world instead of having the attitude " we're tired of hearing about this" and turning the channel. Pay attention!

Old 03-15-2011, 09:18 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlk1974 View Post
I wasnt born yet when the vietnam war was going on, but I have been reading that most of the population back in the states had hatred for the soldiers over there fighting, just wondering why that was? Im assuming because the people were getting tired of hearing about the war and took it out on those that decided to serve in it? Well, if this is true, then we are approaching that same sentiment again, it wont be to long before people get tired of hearing about the two wars we are in now, and possibly getting ready to start another one? People will first take it out on the elected to office in washington, then after awhile, they begin to have hatred for the troops who decide to serve. It may not seem that way with all the support our troops signs we see all over, but I believe what happened in vietnam will happen again once people get sick of hearing about it.
There was no widespread hatred of the soldiers during Vietnam. That's a bunch of bull. There wasn't even a little bit of hatred towards the soldiers. The hatred was directed towards a war that even the soldiers hated.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:36 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,029,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Veterans deserve to be honored, regardless of which conflict they served in, soldiers don't create the conflicts.
Well-said, and please remember to at least offer a "thank you for serving" when you see our service men and women out in uniform. Buying them a cup of coffee, etc, doesn't hurt either.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:37 AM

657 posts, read 697,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
No war without soldiers

Old 03-15-2011, 09:37 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
There was no widespread hatred of the soldiers during Vietnam. That's a bunch of bull. There wasn't even a little bit of hatred towards the soldiers. The hatred was directed towards a war that even the soldiers hated.
There was wide spread hatred of troops back then in many universities and especially along the east coast. My dad was stationed on a ship in San Diego in the mid to late 60s. Him and his buddies would tell us about the "warm welcome" they received upon returning from deployment. They tried to disguise themselves so as not to appear a member of the military. They tried to travel in groups for protection in the USA. They felt safer in Guam and Philipines than in the state of California. Even today, there are still universities and places in California that hate the American military (like Berkeley for example).

Old 03-15-2011, 09:43 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Personally, I see the personnel in the military as slaves to corporate and political interests. And I feel bad about it, considering the sacrifices they make for chump change. A lot of these people are conveniently forgotten and occasionally given a lip service. One of my occasional beer buddies, a Vietnam War veteran, agrees. He is one of those people who fits the profile of a "lazy bum" on welfare, as often depicted in these forums, despite of being a hard worker but barely making a living. I enjoy his company, talking about his experiences, until he has gulped down a few cans and suggests that I give him the key to my bimmer for a drive.

A great person, with a lot to learn from, but I can't share much with him about Vietnam war for being born well after it was over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies