Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 04:17 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,692,902 times

Advertisements

He was a terrorist in the 80's
The he was a good guy, a bit on the rogue side, but oh hell, he was selling oil and gas, so his sins were forgiven
When his own people began the revolution against his regime, the West sided with the rebels
After weeks of intense battles, and when the tide turned and he began seizing more and more cities, the very same who where supporting the uprising are now turning their heads.

After Gadafi conquers all the rebel cities, he will begin to slaughter those who dared to oppose him, and once it happens, he will be back as a friend to Europe and the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 04:36 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
It hasn't worked too well for us in a similar situation in Iraq and the Arab World seems to be unanimously opposed to what we did there. I guess the rest of the Arab World has other things on their mind to bother to get involved. Let the West do your dirty work for you?

Old 03-16-2011, 04:53 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
The he was a good guy, a bit on the rogue side, but oh hell, he was selling oil and gas, so his sins were forgiven
When his own people began the revolution against his regime, the West sided with the rebels
After weeks of intense battles, and when the tide turned and he began seizing more and more cities, the very same who where supporting the uprising are now turning their heads.

After Gadafi conquers all the rebel cities, he will begin to slaughter those who dared to oppose him, and once it happens, he will be back as a friend to Europe and the USA.
No one considers him a friend. He's just another dirty, slimy, middle east despot the world has to deal with in order to get the oil we need to feed, clothe, house, our peoples.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:55 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
It hasn't worked too well for us in a similar situation in Iraq and the Arab World seems to be unanimously opposed to what we did there. I guess the rest of the Arab World has other things on their mind to bother to get involved. Let the West do your dirty work for you?
I noticed too, that while some of the other arab despots called for a no-fly zone none of them are actually doing a no-fly zone.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:01 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:

When the West (or more precisely the U.S.) intervenes militarily in other nation's affairs, we're told that we suck. When we don't intervene, we're still reminded that we suck. And then people around the world wonder why do whatever the hell we please, but it shouldn't be a big mystery when we're going to hear about how much we suck no matter what.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:01 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
obama did the right thing, IMO.

Although, for the wrong reasons.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:07 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
obama did the right thing, IMO.

Although, for the wrong reasons.
Maybe, maybe not. For all we know the people rising up against Gadahfi are just as bad or worse. If we support them and it turns out they are just as bad or worse, no doubt that will be used as a cudgel against U.S. foreign policy 10 years from now, just as our lack of intervention is being used as a cudgel by some today. Sometimes you can't win.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:08 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Quote:

I completely agree though there is nothing new about the West supporting dictators left, right and centre.... We sold Gadafi weapons which are now being used against his own people... We sided with him because it benefited us and we also thought we could contain him.

The West should now be supporting the rebels to have him deposed. There is going to be an almighty bloodbath otherwise but it seems we are too cowardly to truly do something about it.

I suspect a lot of people including politicians were hoping the situation would resolve itself as it has in other parts of North Africa but now that it hasn't I would say this is becoming a humanitarian crisis and one which at the end of the day we are entirely responsible for.

We have been trading with that piece of garbage for decades , a little support for the people of Lybia would be something to atone for our sins of greed and complacence.

This is what happens when you arm dictators. We did not learn with Saddam , we did not learn with Mugabe and we obviously haven't learnt with Gaddafi.

Gaddafi unlike other leaders will IMO try to cling to power for dear life.

Lybia is completely different than Iraq and intervention would not be the same as the invasion of Iraq which was sold to the public with outright lies and for political purposes of political expediency and diversion.

I have been to Lybia a couple of times and the whole situation makes me weep. This is about stopping what is going to be a complete slaughter.

We cannot go in with big hobnail boots but we can certainly attempt to support the rebels. Also I suspect we could ensure that Gaddafi's wealth is seized so that he knows he will be utterly crippled if he carries on.

Britain is attempting to seize all his UK held assets at the moment but this takes time of course, I am sure Switzerland and so many other tax havens and banking centres around the world will be holding billions of dollars for Gaddafi so let's put a little pressure on those places and ensure he does not have a penny to his name.

Gaddafi is our problem. Because we allowed him to become who he is.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:14 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I completely agree though there is nothing new about the West supporting dictators left, right and centre.... We sold Gadafi weapons which are now being used against his own people... We sided with him because it benefited us and we also thought we could contain him.

The West should now be supporting the rebels to have him deposed. There is going to be an almighty bloodbath otherwise but it seems we are too cowardly to truly do something about it.

I suspect a lot of people including politicians were hoping the situation would resolve itself as it has in other parts of North Africa but now that it hasn't I would say this is becoming a humanitarian crisis and one which at the end of the day we are entirely responsible for.

We have been trading with that piece of garbage for decades , a little support for the people of Lybia would be something to atone for our sins of greed and complacence.

This is what happens when you arm dictators. We did not learn with Saddam , we did not learn with Mugabe and we obviously haven't learnt with Gaddafi.

Gaddafi unlike other leaders will IMO try to cling to power for dear life.

Lybia is completely different than Iraq and intervention would not be the same as the invasion of Iraq which was sold to the public with outright lies and for political purposes of political expediency and diversion.

I have been to Lybia a couple of times and the whole situation makes me weep. This is about stopping what is going to be a complete slaughter.

We cannot go in with big hobnail boots but we can certainly attempt to support the rebels. Also I suspect we could ensure that Gaddafi's wealth is seized so that he knows he will be utterly crippled if he carries on.

Britain is attempting to seize all his UK held assets at the moment but this takes time of course, I am sure Switzerland and so many other tax havens and banking centres around the world will be holding billions of dollars for Gaddafi so let's put a little pressure on those places and ensure he does not have a penny to his name.

Gaddafi is our problem. Because we allowed him to become who he is.
Nah.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:31 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:

It is not the job of any one country, or any group of countries to police the world. If people in a country want to dethrone a dictator, its their job to stand up and fight in large enough numbers to do just that.

I support a no fly zone, because fighting against an air force from the ground is futile without advanced weaponry. But it should be done from the United Nations, and as of yet the United Nations isn't showing the stomach to do that. The United States has said they would support that. Perhaps you should look to China, a country that has been getting Libyan oil?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies