Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2011, 10:12 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times

Advertisements

We only got one bearing left?

How did we lose all our bearings? (marbles)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC07y...layer_embedded
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 10:12 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Those rebels have their own aircraft and have shot down a Libyan loyalist fighter...not quite a bunch of poorly armed townsfolk fighting an evil empire.
Really? Didn't know that. Could you share the evidence of that? I have seen where the Rebels have shot down one of their own pilots.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:14 AM

948 posts, read 1,386,409 times
So far it seams that the NFZ is being enforced by the French and British. Since they get most of their oil from that Lybia they have allot to lose. Additionally French President Nicolas Sarkozy has a low popularity rating. Election begin today in France for local Representatives and polls show that his opposition is going to come out ahead. Sarkozy will be up for reelection next year and he is looking to act presidential.
There is US support but so far it is a technical roll not a combative roll, meaning that the missile systems and satellite technology is in play but direct US military support has not been used.
I did notice that the Quick Bird Satellite owned by Digital globe went out of Geo-sync orbit and headed to a standard orbit around the region. That will do two things, the privet side is it will take pictures for the news, The military side is it can count heads determine friend and foe. Additionally Sat USA215, and NORL USA227 have been covering the region, both are spy sats with missal navigation capability.
I am a bit concerned that Hillary seams to be taking a leadership roll for the US. Not discounting her ability but I am wondering why she is taking this position but President Obama has not. He is the commander but has only made one short statement on the attacks and that is it, where she has been continually in contact with the French and the media as to the situation. The last I heard she had lost the Democrat nomination for president.

Last edited by Dewmik; 03-20-2011 at 10:38 AM..

Old 03-20-2011, 10:16 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I never realized you were a Hezbollah and Amajinajad fan. You share their opinions well.
Who knew they were non interventionist like myself?
Got any more misconceptions to share?

Old 03-20-2011, 10:17 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Really? Didn't know that. Could you share the evidence of that? I have seen where the Rebels have shot down one of their own pilots.
Just google it..plenty of various sites reporting the same thing.

The rebels shot down their own plane in the No-Fly zone.

Libya: moment a rebel jet crashed to earth in flames - Telegraph

Old 03-20-2011, 10:19 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I haven't seen that on the news, and if they do have aircraft, they aren't highly trained pilots and they don't have the numbers that the Libyan army under Gadaffi have.

Quote:
During the 2011 Libyan Revolt, Libyan Air Force warplanes and attack helicopters launched repeated airstrikes on protesters, reportedly targeting a funeral procession and a group of protesters trying to reach an army base.[5][6] On 21 February 2011, two senior Libyan Air Force pilots defected and flew their Mirage F1[7] fighter jets to Malta and requested political asylum after defying orders to bomb protesters.[8] On 23 February 2011, pilot Abdessalam Attiyah al-Abdali and co-pilot Ali Omar al-Kadhafi, crew of a Sukhoi-22,[7] ejected with parachutes near Ajdabiya, 100 miles west of Benghazi, after refusing orders to bomb the city of Benghazi.[7][9] Anti-Gaddafi forces and Syrian opposition groups claim that Syrian pilots were flying attacks for the Libyan government[10].
Rebels claim they have shot down Air Force jets over Brega and Ras Lanuf.[11][12][7] At Brega a Mirage F-1 was shot down[7] and at Ra's Lanuf a Su-24 bomber and a helicopter (probably a Mi-24).[7] Exactly how many and what types of aircraft have been shot down have yet to be confirmed by government or independent sources.
Using air power, the Libyan army checked the opposition advance westwards, towards Bin Jawad in early March.[13]
On March 13, 2011, Ali Atiyya, a colonel of the Libyan Air Force at the Mitiga military airport, near Tripoli, announced that he had defected and joined the revolution.[14]
Rebels claim to have shot down what appears to be a MiG-21 outside of Bohadi [15] On 17 March, a "Free Libya Air Force" MiG-21UM crashed after take off from Benina airport due to technical problems. It was flown from Ghurdabiya AB (near Syrte) to Benina by a defecting pilot, on previous day. [16] On 19 March 2011, a rebel Free Libyan Air Force MiG-23BN was shot down over Benghazi. It was photographed while burning and pointing to the ground while the pilot ejects.[17]
Libyan Air Force - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-20-2011, 12:04 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewmik View Post
So far it seams that the NFZ is being enforced by the French and British. Since they get most of their oil from that Lybia they have allot to lose. Additionally French President Nicolas Sarkozy has a low popularity rating. Election begin today in France for local Representatives and polls show that his opposition is going to come out ahead. Sarkozy will be up for reelection next year and he is looking to act presidential.
There is US support but so far it is a technical roll not a combative roll, meaning that the missile systems and satellite technology is in play but direct US military support has not been used.
I did notice that the Quick Bird Satellite owned by Digital globe went out of Geo-sync orbit and headed to a standard orbit around the region. That will do two things, the privet side is it will take pictures for the news, The military side is it can count heads determine friend and foe. Additionally Sat USA215, and NORL USA227 have been covering the region, both are spy sats with missal navigation capability.
I am a bit concerned that Hillary seams to be taking a leadership roll for the US. Not discounting her ability but I am wondering why she is taking this position but President Obama has not. He is the commander but has only made one short statement on the attacks and that is it, where she has been continually in contact with the French and the media as to the situation. The last I heard she had lost the Democrat nomination for president.
she is the secrtary of state it is her job to do it

The specific duties of the Secretary of State include:
  • Foreign trade missions and intelligence assets report directly to the Secretary of State.
  • Advises the President on matters relating to U.S. foreign policy, including the appointment of diplomatic representatives to other nations, and on the acceptance or dismissal of representatives from other nations.
  • Participates in high-level negotiations with other countries, either bilaterally or as part of an international conference or organization, or appoints representatives to do so. This includes the negotiation of international treaties and other agreements.
  • Responsible for overall direction, coordination, and supervision of interdepartmental activities of the U.S. Government overseas.
  • Communicates issues relating the United States foreign policy to Congress and to U.S. citizens.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:08 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
You made up your mind before you even engaged in this conversation. There's really no reason for me to continue explaining a perfectly rational position. You disagree with it. Fine. At least try to be mature about it in the future.
that one is not worthy of rational discussion.
He makes a blanket statement "alll liberals are x"
When you point out flaws in that argument... he ignores it.
When you ask it to prove that Yemen = Libya, he ignores it.

Then he makes a self congratulatory comment about "I'm pointing out hypocricy" not realizing he is being hypocritical himself.

Its amazing how much more interesting the conversation can be if you put it on ignore list.. and only leave people who are capable of mature discussion in view. Good way to weed out trolls is how I'm looking at this discourse.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:08 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
I am waiting for those who wailed about federal funding for japan to jump up and down at what this is going to cost. I doubt they will though.
Here I am, objecting to both, and Iraq and Afghanistan too.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:14 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Those rebels have their own aircraft and have shot down a Libyan loyalist fighter...not quite a bunch of poorly armed townsfolk fighting an evil empire.
a 1960's mig 21 that is 45-50 years old is not really what I would call a modren day fighter it is what F4's fought against in the vietnam war.
The McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II In the Vietnam Conflict, US Air Force, Navy, and Marine Corps Phantom crews achieved 147 air-to-air combat victories against Mig 17's and Mig 21's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies