Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2011, 10:45 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,663,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Defeat?

Your position is based upon the selective application of 'outrage' at the killing of civilians but only when done by certain nations and only when it is convenient....

THAT is an embarrassing position to have.
Agree take a look at Africa where atrocities happen on a huge scale (Darfur,Sudan) and nothing is done about it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 10:47 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,027,579 times
Quote:
Those on the left that disagree with such outright aggression have been drowned out by the warhawks that run the left.
I am surprised at how few declared democrats on this
forum have not voiced disdain - now that you mention
it. Us, libertarians are united on this one

Reminds me of Vietnam at first.

"On May 27, 1964, six months into his presidency, Johnson asks Russell on one tape, "What do you think of this Vietnam thing?" Russell answers: "It's the damn worst mess I ever saw, and I don't like to brag. I never have been right many times in my life. But I knew that we were going to get into this sort of mess when we went in there." To which Johnson replies: "That's the way that I've been feeling for six months."

Russell answers: "If I was going to get out, I'd get the same crowd that got rid of old Diem to get rid of these people and get some fellow in there that said he wished to hell we would get out. That would give us a good excuse for getting out . . . ."

"How important is it to us?" Johnson asks.

"It isn't important a damn bit, with all these new missile systems," Russell replies.

Later, Johnson tells Russell: "I've got a little old sergeant that works for me over at the house, and he's got six children, and I just put him up there as the United States Army, Air Force and Navy every time I think about making this decision, and think about sending that father of those six kids in there. And what the hell are we going to get out of his doing it? And it just makes the chills run up my back." To which Russell replies: "It does me. I just can't see it."

Later that day Johnson tells his national security adviser, McGeorge Bundy: "I don't think it's worth fighting for, and I don't think that we can get out. It just the biggest damn mess I ever saw." To which Bundy replies: "It is. It's an awful mess." Johnson makes a final observation to Bundy: "It's damned easy to get in a war, but it's gonna be awfully hard to extricate yourself if you get in."

Old 03-19-2011, 10:49 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,886,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
Agree take a look at Africa where atrocities happen on a huge scale (Darfur,Sudan) and nothing is done about it!
Well....that is different....somehow....

Libyan civilians being killed is MUCH worse and deserves having the USA attack the nation in question.

The hundreds of thousands killed in Darfur not so much.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Well....that is different....somehow....

Libyan civilians being killed is MUCH worse and deserves having the USA attack the nation in question.

The hundreds of thousands killed in Darfur not so much.
Sarcastic much?

Old 03-19-2011, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Sarcastic much?
Quite often actually....

There is nothing more satisfying then skewering the hypocrites using their own words.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:02 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,029,736 times
Quote:
I would have respected W more if he had gotten involved to stop the genocied in Darfur. Who accussed him of not liking black people? Can't remember now.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:06 PM

Poor and black that's a lose lose situation no matter where your from(Katrina)!

Old 03-19-2011, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
I would have respected W more if he had gotten involved to stop the genocied in Darfur. Who accussed him of not liking black people? Can't remember now.
There was no genocide in Darfur,the UN refused to classify it as such.
CNN.com - U.N. report:*Darfur not genocide - Jan 31, 2005

Old 03-19-2011, 11:09 PM

Quote:
There was no genocide in Darfur,the UN refused to classify it as such.
CNN.com - U.N. report:*Darfur not genocide - Jan 31, 2005
And if the UN says it, it Must be true!

Old 03-19-2011, 11:11 PM

Quote:
And if the UN says it, it Must be true!
Well...the reasoning was I believe IF it was classified as genocide the UN would have NO option but be involved...

So the solution?
Well of course you just don't classify it as such and all is good.

Except for the few hundred thousand dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies