Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2011, 10:01 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,872,403 times

Advertisements

Strel,

When you write, "You obviously care more about not being inconvenienced that you do about someone's child dying," you illustrate one obvious fact. You suffer because you have a really weird digestive quirk AND an unpleasant attitude to go with it. That has nothing to do with me.

I've asked some serious and reasonable questions brought up by the OP. I am still left wondering how people who are that sensitive to a very common food product that merely breathing air puts them in danger actually manage to function in the real world.

You've responded with hysterical accusations about the sort of person I am and my alleged horrible character. If you respond to a complete stranger on a message board in that manner I can only imagine how you must respond to people in real life who ask you such questions.

I think your problem here is not merely an allergy to cashews.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:05 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
No, I think some very sad and depressed parents who lost their child because of SOME IDIOT who didn't believe food allergies could be lethal will sue the school, and hopefully the parents of the child that killed their kid.
First of all, we're all very sorry about your allergic reaction to nuts but you're using this thread to go way off subject. The subject here is the actions that the school took to ensure the safety of one student.

No one said that the other children didn't believe that their classmate has an allergy. No one is spreading ignorance in attempt to kill the student.

My question is what's going to happen if a child does decide to bring and eat something containing peanuts at school? How is the school going to monitor this? Are they going to have the dog sniff every student every day? What about the kids that are allergic to dogs? How are they going to be inspected?

My son uses his lunchbox and backpack other places besides school; those items may come in contact with peanuts. It's not unlikely that a snack from the day before will still be in the lunch box or backpack the next day, especially if it's something that I didn't put in there. Am I expected to buy a separate lunch box and backpack for school to make sure that no peanut oil or residue makes it into the classroom?

Old 03-28-2011, 10:07 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,132,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Strel,

When you write, "You obviously care more about not being inconvenienced that you do about someone's child dying," you illustrate one obvious fact. You suffer because you have a really weird digestive quirk AND an unpleasant attitude to go with it. That has nothing to do with me.
You and people like you are the genesis of that attitude.

Quote:
I've asked some serious and reasonable questions brought up by the OP. I am still left wondering how people who are that sensitive to a very common food product that merely breathing air puts them in danger actually manage to function in the real world.
In spite of people like you is how. And I have already explained about the air-breathing thing. I guess you missed that.

Quote:
You've responded with hysterical accusations about the sort of person I am and my alleged horrible character. If you respond to a complete stranger on a message board in that manner I can only imagine how you must respond to people in real life who ask you such questions.
You do not seem to understand how dangerous your ignorance is. So read the links below, and get a clue.

I do not have a sense of humor about this, and feel no obligation to be polite to people who express the things that you do.

I don't know of any other way to get you to "see the light" and realize how wrong, harmful and just obnoxious your attitude is on this topic.

Like I said, you offended me first.

Quote:
I think your problem here is not merely an allergy to cashews.
Correct, I am also allergic to the perniciously ignorant.

Why don't you read this post and tell me if you think it is a "really weird digestive quirk."

Parents rage at FL school that implements new regulations regarding 1 student peanut allergy

Because you obviously have no idea what anaphylaxis is. So you can read this too:

Anaphylaxis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-28-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
First of all, we're all very sorry about your allergic reaction to nuts but you're using this thread to go way off subject. The subject here is the actions that the school took to ensure the safety of one student.
I am using this thread as an opportunity to remedy some dangerous ignorance out there, ignorance which has been the direct cause of me almost dying more than once.

I was outraged when I started reading this thread - granted that the school is being stupid about it, but I was shocked and appalled at the people who seem to think this is not a serious issue, or worse, that people suffering from lethal food allergies were just being crybabies.

That attitude deserves a response.

Quote:
No one said that the other children didn't believe that their classmate has an allergy. No one is spreading ignorance in attempt to kill the student.
Read Eleanora's posts. She seems to think that anaphylactic shock is just a "gastric quirk." See what I mean?

Quote:
My question is what's going to happen if a child does decide to bring and eat something containing peanuts at school? How is the school going to monitor this? Are they going to have the dog sniff every student every day? What about the kids that are allergic to dogs? How are they going to be inspected?
NO, they should just follow the FAAN guidelines, which are perfectly reasonable.

Quote:
My son uses his lunchbox and backpack other places besides school; those items may come in contact with peanuts. It's not unlikely that a snack from the day before will still be in the lunch box or backpack the next day, especially if it's something that I didn't put in there. Am I expected to buy a separate lunch box and backpack for school to make sure that no peanut oil or residue makes it into the classroom?
No, that would be unreasonable. Chance contact with something like that is very, very rare. What is most important is that the teachers and kids know that contact will make someone very ill or even kill them, and that they take it seriously - no joking around, because someone could die.

Just like that poor 13 year old girl and the other 199 people that died from this "gastric quirk" this last year.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:12 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,874,059 times
If your child is attending a public school, then the administration has the right to tell you not to bring peanuts into a classroom. Most lunchrooms today have a peanut-free table to accomodate kids with allergies, but classrooms are a different story.

I do find it hard to believe that you can't, if you had to, find an equally healthy alternative to peanuts for your kid.

What is truly sad is your lack of empathy for those who suffer with these allergies. I am not stating that peanuts should be abolished, but it won't kill people to be a bit more understanding. Maybe most people are justt too lazy, or hateful or, maybe you are just a miserable person and for that, I am sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
My daughter is on the small side. She's also a highly finicky eater. Said daughter loves nuts of all sorts. I'm really sorry for anyone who has a nut allergy but I would still put my daughter's needs for high quality food above my desire to accommodate another child's overly insane digestive system.

I can't imagine how the people in the OP handle the real world. I also can't imagine how anyone thinks they have the right to ask the rest of us not to consume a good source of food because they have problems. If you have a nut allergy you need to figure out ways to avoid nuts. That solution should not be to restrict what my family eats.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:14 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:

Because you obviously have no idea what anaphylaxis is. So you can read this too:

Anaphylaxis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Anaphylaxis can be triggered by many food allergies. I mentioned dairy allergies earlier and another poster dismissed them by saying they're not as serious as peanut allergies but this makes one wonder; if a student has a severe dairy allergy will the school accommodate him or her by banning dairy products?

Quote:
I am using this thread as an opportunity to remedy some dangerous ignorance out there, ignorance which has been the direct cause of me almost dying more than once.

But that is not the point of the thread. We are supposed to be discussing the actions of the school not educating other posters.

Quote:
NO, they should just follow the FAAN guidelines, which are perfectly reasonable.

Chance contact with something like that is very, very rare. What is most important is that the teachers and kids know that contact will make someone very ill or even kill them, and that they take it seriously - no joking around, because someone could die.

So then you're in agreement with many of the poster's you're arguing with, The school's actions were extreme and you disagree with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
If your child is attending a public school, then the administration has the right to tell you not to bring peanuts into a classroom. Most lunchrooms today have a peanut-free table to accomodate kids with allergies, but classrooms are a different story.
In the classroom; yes. In the lunchroom (to a certain extent); no. There have been several posters, including me, who have said that the allergy will be taken into consideration for food that is meant to be consumes by other people other than their children. That's basic common sense but I don't agree with the school's decision of banning peanuts for personal consumption.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:19 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,872,403 times
Strel,

I am not making fun of shock or allergies. I am making fun of someone who is santimonously screaming at reasonable questions on a thread on the net. You might want to figure out the difference. You are not "remedying ignorance." You're just yelling.

After a while no one listens to you.

If you have allergies to a common food product that could potentially kill you, YOU have to take responsibility to cope. Not us. YOU. We're willing to offer some help but I don't think it fair to literally ask a child to wash their mouths out a few times a day or lose classroom time at every turn because another child is that medically fragile. That's hardly an ignorant or irrational statement.

Frankly the parents in the OP come across as just as nuts as you do.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Anaphylaxis can be triggered by many food allergies. I mentioned dairy allergies earlier and another poster dismissed them by saying they're not as serious as peanut allergies but this makes one wonder; if a student has a severe dairy allergy will the school accommodate him or her by banning dairy products?
How many times do I have to say that banning isn't really a solution?

Awareness is, and reasonable protocols can be put in place to prevent kids from dying. Ignorance and arrogance are far more dangerous to us than the very slight chance of an airborne particle.

Nut allergies are among the worst of the lot, and the ones most often associated with mortality.

Quote:
But that is not the point of the thread. We are supposed to be discussing the actions of the school not educating other posters.
Which are one in the same. The school officials were either ignorant and went too far but with the best of intentions, or what I suspect is more likely, they were like some of the posters in this thread and decided to be deliberately draconian because they don't believe the child is really in danger and want to provoke a reaction.

They could have just followed FAAN guidlelines. Now if people get "outraged" about those, I get outraged myself - because they are reasonable and designed to save lives. I cannot fathom how anyone could not be in support of this, short of some serious characterlogical deficits.

Quote:
So then you're in agreement with many of the poster's you're arguing with, The school's actions were extreme and you disagree with them.
I think the school is out of line. I also think a lot of the posters here are seriously out of line.

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Well, I'm not one to . . . . so I won't.

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:

In the classroom; yes. In the lunchroom (to a certain extent); no. There have been several posters, including me, who have said that the allergy will be taken into consideration for food that is meant to be consumes by other people other than their children. That's basic common sense but I don't agree with the school's decision of banning peanuts for personal consumption.
Allergies are always serious to those who have the allergy. For those with no allergies, why should they take other people's allergies seriously? It is not their problem, nor should they be expected to change their life to accommodate those with allergies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies