Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2011, 07:18 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,288,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Pretty obvious, JazzyTallGuy is much clearer in his understanding of the Constitution and the Law than Kucinich.
Interesting. So, what Article gives the president permission to declare war or conduct military action directly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 07:18 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,226,365 times
Quote:
Pretty obvious, JazzyTallGuy is much clearer in his understanding of the Constitution and the Law than Kucinich.
War Powers Resolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The War Powers Resolution of 1973 (50 U.S.C. 1541–1548) was a United States Congress joint resolution providing that the President can send U.S. armed forces into action abroad only by authorization of Congress or if the United States is already under attack or serious threat. The War Powers Resolution requires the president to notify Congress within 48 hours of committing armed forces to military action and forbids armed forces from remaining for more than 60 days, with a further 30 day withdrawal period, without an authorization of the use of

Old 03-22-2011, 07:20 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,861,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I would respond to this question but I have no idea what Obama is doing in Libya or why he is doing it. I'm not being sarcastic, I really don't know what the mission is.

I'm having a hard time swallowing it has anything to do with bombing a plane decades ago. That's like punishing your 17 year old for something he did when he was 3.

I don't know who these "rebels" are that we're jumping in to help or how they became armed in the first place enough to fight an army. Try news googling "who are rebels" and you'll get several different answers like this one:

Rebels in Libya have many differences, but one singular goal - overthrow madman Moammar Khadafy

I don't know why all of a sudden the US decided Khadafy, Qaddafi, Gaddafi who has been around for so long needs to be taken out now. Did he wake up one night, recently, and decide to be mean to his people after decades in power? P.S. You would think after all of his years in power, the English speaking media could get together and decide how to spell his name.

I don't know why we're going the UN route. For those, such as myself, who think the UN is a pile of steaming crap, why are you okay with this? Take a look at who is on their human rights council and tell me this thing is about human rights. Me, I'm not buying it. Also, what makes the Libyans so special?

I saw Kucinich on TV last night saying Obama should have come to Congress first (seeing as how Bush did, twice). Why bother, you guys don't read intelligence reports anymore than you do bills before you vote on them. Who could forget Hillary Clinton saying she didn't read the intelligence report on going to war with Iraq? In 2004, the Washington Post said only 6 Senators registered and read it before voting to go to war with Iraq.
I have no idea why people pretend they do not know what the UN mission in Libya is. It was made perfectly clear from day one.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:23 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,981,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Tha patriot act was voted in as law by congress how can that be illegal.
Because it's un-Constitutional. Just because a group of hack politicians vote on something doesn't sanctify it or make it Constitutional. If Congress voted tomorrow to make interracial marriage illegal would you support that? After all, all it takes Congressional approval to make something moral, right, and Constitutional.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Tha patriot act was voted in as law by congress how can that be illegal.
So, you're saying that Obamacare is also legal because it passed through congress?

(In before you say "that's not what we're discussing")

Old 03-22-2011, 07:31 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,981,656 times
Quote:
I have no idea why people pretend they do not know what the UN mission in Libya is. It was made perfectly clear from day one.
So please enlighten us, the unwashed masses, what is the mission in Libya?

Old 03-22-2011, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
To protect Americans, of course.

Wait...

Old 03-22-2011, 07:55 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,861,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Here. It's not real complicated.

BBC News - Libya UN Resolution 1973: Text analysed

Old 03-22-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately for Obama, this contradicts our own Constitutional mandate. More unfortunate for Obama, the Constitution always overrides this resolution.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:04 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
LOL....you are on the losing team if you haven't noticed...less and less people identify themselves as leftists.

I feel the same way,when/if it comes time,there will be no qualms putting leftist up against the wall.
I'm on the losing team? Really? Ok....well, that's your opinion. If the only tool you have in your bag is an attempt to sway me by convincing me that i'm on the losing side....you need a new tool bag. Politics is fluid, not static. The right will be on their asses again in due time, believe me.

"Leftist against the wall?" Please. You aren't even from here. And even if you were, it wouldn't be me going against the wall if it comes down to you or me. Best believe that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies