Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 02:01 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,473,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I am the world's biggest proponent of personal freedoms. However, last I checked that PERSONAL freedom stopped at the point where the health, welfare and safety of innocent third parties are impacted.

Parents do have the right to choose what their children eat and I do not believe that anyone should interfere with that. However, children must obtain sufficient nutrients in order for their bodies and brains to grow and develop. I am not saying that parents should be required to do anything by FORCE but I do support any program that will teach a child what is good to eat and what is not. I do not believe that doing this trods upon the personal freedoms of the parents.

20yrsinBranson
It "trods" on the personal freedoms of the kids they are harassing. I can think of 3 charges already that these nuts can be charged with.

1. Invasion of privacy
2. Trespassing on Private Property or simply Invasion of Private Property
3. Harassment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 02:15 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,223,708 times
Quote:
Telling a four year old to sit down and shut up violates the constitution too. But that doesn't mean that four year olds need to shut up and sit down once in a while.

Children do not enjoy the same RIGHTS as adults (the cannot vote, they cannot own or carry a gun (most places), they cannot run for president of the united states.) Therefore it is unreasonable to say that it is UNCONSTITUTIONAL to look into a bag of goodies purchased at a convenience store. Besides, we have no way of knowing whether or not the children CONSENTED to the adults looking into the bags. They might have asked permission, we don't know.

20yrsinBranson
Telling someone else's child to sit down and shut up is wrong (except when elitists do it)...

I still tell my adult kids to sit down and shut up once in a while... See the difference? THEY ARE MY KIDS...........

Can you stretch your Nazi justification any further?

Quote:
They might have asked permission, we don't know.
Wait a minute.... you just said these children have no rights so why would these Nazi's have asked for permission???? ~DUH~

What we DO KNOW is there was a bunch of adults congregating in front of a store profiling the people walking out and examining the bags of people who fit their profile.....

Even a learned elitist intellectual such as yourself has to agree profiling in America is wrong and against the law......

Last edited by plwhit; 03-30-2011 at 02:25 PM..

Old 03-30-2011, 02:28 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,584,628 times
I see that people in this thread are suffering from Constitution Tourette's. There's a cure for that, it's called edumacation.

It's very sad to see people so unconcerned about this health crisis. The principal at the school has stated this is a crisis, and an epidemic, and has called on the community's help. The children are failing in school, and are bound to suffer health issues. The local health department has a plan in action, the school has a plan in action. But all people are focusing on is who is peeking in a bag. It's really pathetic people. The lack of concern for the welfare of these kids is very telling.

Oh, and please spare me the histrionics. People that are repeatedly using terms such as Nazi and elitist when referencing a couple of grannies from the neighborhood looking out for the health and well-being of kids from their own families and neighborhood are looking like complete and utter fools.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I see that people in this thread are suffering from Constitution Tourette's. There's a cure for that, it's called edumacation.

It's very sad to see people so unconcerned about this health crisis. The principal at the school has stated this is a crisis, and an epidemic, and has called on the community's help. The children are failing in school, and are bound to suffer health issues. The local health department has a plan in action, the school has a plan in action. But all people are focusing on is who is peeking in a bag. It's really pathetic people. The lack of concern for the welfare of these kids is very telling.

Oh, and please spare me the histrionics. People that are repeatedly using terms such as Nazi and elitist when referencing a couple of grannies from the neighborhood looking out for the health and well-being of kids from their own families and neighborhood are looking like complete and utter fools.
Those grannies should be minding their business before they get their dentures misplaced by a fist. See this is the thing, Liberals and Progressives are not going to learn to mind their own damn business until they run up the backs of the wrong people and they end up eating a bullet or two. They have NO RIGHT doing what they are doing. They are actually breaking several laws, harassment being one of them.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:35 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,314,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I couldn't care less if it was just one 100 year old grandmother doing it...

IT VIOLATES THE CONSTITUTION

Whoa! we KNOW veterans are all ok people and all of them can be trusted can't we? and the same can be said about their wives........ /sarcasm

That card don't play.........
Again, tell us how it violates the constitution.
You haven't made any point so far.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Violating private property rights
Violating Privacy rights
Harassment

Old 03-30-2011, 02:41 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,928,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post

The problem I have with this is that while obesity may be problematic, is it really a crisis? Yes, Americans are fat. But it's a recent development that we have started labeling obesity as a disease. Not all obese people have health problems. Lots of skinny people have health problems, too. I've read many of the statistical studies, that talk about how much our society saves if we get rid of obesity. The studies are statistically flawed. They make the presumption that being overweight equals being sick, and being thin equals health. That's a false presumption. And we are magnifying the problem of obesity because we are moving the goalposts. What was considered overweight and obese 50 years ago has changed, and 50 years ago, we were equally concerned with the underweight. When I look at why standards have changed, I look at who gains by changing the standards. And it's pharmaceutical companies and the health industry.

American society used to have an obsession with youth. It was an unhealthy obsession. Now, as our society as a whole is aging, the obsession is with weight. I think it's an equally unhealthy obsession.

I applaud parents getting involved in educating kids about their health. I think a breakfast of candy and pop is a terrible thing. But I think that when non-parents get involved in children's lives, that there are boundaries that need to be respected. I still think peering into children's shopping bags and commenting on the contents is overstepping the boundaries.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:28 PM

13,499 posts, read 9,998,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The problem I have with this is that while obesity may be problematic, is it really a crisis? Yes, Americans are fat. But it's a recent development that we have started labeling obesity as a disease. Not all obese people have health problems. Lots of skinny people have health problems, too. I've read many of the statistical studies, that talk about how much our society saves if we get rid of obesity. The studies are statistically flawed. They make the presumption that being overweight equals being sick, and being thin equals health. That's a false presumption. And we are magnifying the problem of obesity because we are moving the goalposts. What was considered overweight and obese 50 years ago has changed, and 50 years ago, we were equally concerned with the underweight. When I look at why standards have changed, I look at who gains by changing the standards. And it's pharmaceutical companies and the health industry.

American society used to have an obsession with youth. It was an unhealthy obsession. Now, as our society as a whole is aging, the obsession is with weight. I think it's an equally unhealthy obsession.

I applaud parents getting involved in educating kids about their health. I think a breakfast of candy and pop is a terrible thing. But I think that when non-parents get involved in children's lives, that there are boundaries that need to be respected. I still think peering into children's shopping bags and commenting on the contents is overstepping the boundaries.
Apologies for stepping in as you were responding to Zimbochick's post, but again you bring up some excellent points.

I know I'm going to get slammed for being a moral elitist "do gooder" again, but the context of the environment the kids are in is crucial to understanding the actions of the parents and this school. The kids are having boundaries crossed in their neighborhood constantly, but usually by crack thugs and murderers. Their parents are blindingly poor, and mostly uneducated. The median income for households there is $18,777.

It shouldn't matter, but in reality it does. The overweight/obesity percentage in that neighborhood it 70%. The kids are already facing an uphill battle with their futures. A lot of them (not all, obviously) are not going to make it far as adults, and the extra burden of being addicted to junk food is not going to make their journey any easier.

The neighborhood has traditionally looked after it's own. The principal of the school who put this program in motion is herself a born and bred resident. She and the parents who are involved have a good idea of what it takes to get the kids on the right track.

There are other people there who get involved in other neighborhood affairs, like coming back after incarceration and dissuading kids from taking that route, and coming back after getting sober and trying to dissuade the kids from succumbing to the crack addict life. The people of the neighborhood have always been involved in their kids lives, whether they're the kids parents or not.

I think the "examining of the bags element" has been blown out of proportion. I agree that boundaries are definitely being crossed if the adults are taking the bags and inspecting them, as if they're customs agents or the cops. But I don't see evidence of that actually being the case. I agree the possibility of it is of cause for concern. Talking the kids out of eating junk food for breakfast is by far not the worst thing that happens to kids there. It actually might benefit some of them to know that the community cares somewhat, even if they don't look like they appreciate it at the time.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:46 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,553,714 times
Quote:
I am the world's biggest proponent of personal freedoms. However, last I checked that PERSONAL freedom stopped at the point where the health, welfare and safety of innocent third parties are impacted.

Parents do have the right to choose what their children eat and I do not believe that anyone should interfere with that. However, children must obtain sufficient nutrients in order for their bodies and brains to grow and develop. I am not saying that parents should be required to do anything by FORCE but I do support any program that will teach a child what is good to eat and what is not. I do not believe that doing this trods upon the personal freedoms of the parents.

20yrsinBranson

Parents? Yes. Outsiders or someone elses' parents? No.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:18 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,223,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Read..............

Fourth Amendment to the United States Constitution

And as to your other comment..... you haven't read all the posts in this thread either........

Tell me in the elitist world you live in, what would happen if this profiling and illegal search were to take place in the Bundesrepublik Deutschland?

Last edited by plwhit; 03-30-2011 at 06:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies