Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 06:45 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,553,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc42gb43 View Post
I agree with you on pretty much everything you said here except for calling PETA a terrorist organization. They use outlandish stunts and are ridiculous in their rhetoric, but calling them domestic terrorists like ELF and ALF are takes it too far.

The GoDaddy CEO is being completely ridiculous here. As the Time editorial put it, this is really about a half-step up from spending spring break in North Korea. He seems to want to channel an inner Teddy Roosevelt but is actually coming off as a Richard Nixon.
I agree with what you agree with.

This is sickening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 06:49 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,966,939 times
Quote:
Elephants are docile quiet creatures
Maybe the trained circus kind or the ones in the zoo. Elephants in their natural habitat can be very dangerous and aggressive.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:12 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,207,835 times
if the hunt or the sport was done legally in the country he was in, then I dont care. if peta does not want him to do that shoot, then they should be the 1st to tell him to shoot them instead.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:04 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,958,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Maybe the trained circus kind or the ones in the zoo. Elephants in their natural habitat can be very dangerous and aggressive.
And that who you quote is a case and point of a person who has survived due to the gracious nature of human society as if nature had encountered such ignorance, dinner would be the name of such an occurrence.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:14 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,021,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
And that who you quote is a case and point of a person who has survived due to the gracious nature of human society as if nature had encountered such ignorance, dinner would be the name of such an occurrence.
Nice......
-walks away, shaking head in despair-

Old 03-31-2011, 11:28 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,572,878 times
Oh please! It's pretty obvious to me that this egotist was looking for a trophy kill when he shot the elephant. I'm sure his PR team were desperately trying to get a positive spin out of the fiasco and came up with the "feeding the starving natives" aspect. Voila - free advertising. There are thousands of well qualified wildlife experts in that part of the world to deal with a common situation of badly behaved elephants. Yes, it is common. I doubt they needed the assistance of a professional frat boy software dude, completely unqualified in any aspect of the management and relocation of the African elephant. Spinning this as some altruistic gesture is very dishonest. If he seriously had the best interests of the people at heart he would have given them meaningful items instead of GoDaddy baseball hats.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:37 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,276,353 times
Sounds like fun. I'm actually very jealous of him.

Face it folks - it is a legal hunt - sanctioned by the government to help keep the elephant population under control.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Face it folks - it is a legal hunt - sanctioned by the government to help keep the elephant population under control.
That would contradict everything I have read about this incident. Please provide a link.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:50 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,960,782 times
I can see the commercials now:
"With just one bullet and a $20,000 payment to a Zimbabwe bureaucrat you too can feed an entire village for 3 months. In return we will send you a commemorative photo of your kill, and you don't even have to worry about the foster kids writing and bothering you - because we aren't spending a dime on education."

Old 03-31-2011, 11:51 PM

How about a Zimbabwe news site:

Quote:
Traditionally in Zimbabwe elephants destroying crops are not killed but chased by villagers banging pots and pans.
Bulawayo24 NEWS | GoDaddy suffers as CEO shoots elephant in Zimbabwe

This guy wanted to shoot an elephant. At the very least he should just be honest and say he did it because he wanted to. He's done it before, and he'll do it again. It was not sanctioned by the government.

ETA: The first place I saw people eating elephant was as an exotic menu item in the US. I never saw or heard of people eating it in Zimbabwe.

Last edited by Zimbochick; 03-31-2011 at 11:53 PM.. Reason: ETA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies