Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 11:11 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times

Advertisements

I'm a hunter, and I don't normally side with PETA, but if you aren't hunting to sustain yourself, its really just trophy killing. Not much place for that with real hunters.

Don't get me wrong, if I can shoot a 20 point, 200lb buck, I'm taking it down. But I'm also going to eat it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 11:13 AM

589 posts, read 756,954 times
With the way humans are multiplying now, it wont be long until every animal species on land can be considered a "problem". The locals in Africa - who double their numbers every 15 years btw - build a new village in the middle of Elephant country and farm over the Elephant's food supply = Starving Elephants "stealing" human crops = Problem Elephant, he needs to be shot now. 15 Years later and more African's are around and they to need a Village of their own = repeating problem. They need a village to and surely there will be new starving animals stealing their food there to [since they farmed over it]. But the problem is always the Elephant/Lion etc and never people who dont manage themselves and their environment.

Multiply to over 1 Billion people in India and clear cut all the Jungle, and kill all the deer = Gotta kill all "dim dang" Tigers now, cause they are eating MY sheep and eyeing up my kids for food now!.

More closer to home...Expanding Los Angeles into the mountainside and people wonder why Cougar attacks are on the rise. It couldnt possibly be because...You built a house where Cougar's live at could it ? Cougar's are a problem now...Shoot em Earl!

Old 03-31-2011, 11:16 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,758,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
Too bad elephants don't have guns.
I had to rep ya on that one !

I rate the elephant killer as pure scum

Old 03-31-2011, 11:16 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Not a big PETA fan but the notion of a problem elephant is laughable. Elephants are docile quiet creatures but incredibly smart. The elephants must have been provoked in order for it to lash out at humans.
Actually there is a real problem with bulls whose mothers were killed at a young age becoming quite violent. Yes, they are incredibly smart and can remember and identify man as having wronged him at a very young age. IIRC, Discovery or Nat Geo had a very good clip on "elephant rage", causes, tracing back to individual bulls that had been traumatized early in life and not properly socialized within the surviving herd as a result.

IMO, this CEO from "Go-Daddy" just set back responsible/legitimate hunting in Africa 20 years by his thoughtless video posting. Thus, he has caused more damage to animals that need protection and proper game management than his $$ and so called "service" to the local village could ever do.

Really bad judgment on his part in the way he handled this.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:17 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonaos View Post
With the way humans are multiplying now, it wont be long until every animal species on land can be considered a "problem". Build a new village in the middle of Elephant country and farm over the Elephant's food supply = Starving Elephants "stealing" human crops = Problem Elephant, he needs to be shot now.

Multiply to over 1 Billion people in India and clear cut all the Jungle, and kill all the deer = Gotta kill all "dim dang" Tigers now, cause they are eating MY sheep and eyeing up my kids for food now!.

More closer to home...Expanding Los Angeles into the mountainside and people wonder why Cougar attacks are on the rise. It couldnt possibly be because...You built a house where Cougar's live at could it ? Cougar's are a problem now...Shoot em Earl!
How do you purpose telling people not to have sex and breed?

Really, the "oh the planet is over populated" argument is kind of weak. Either the planet will correct the balance by killing enough of us off, or we'll do it ourselves.

Unless you want to enact strict draconian measures like China did to control its population, there really is no other alternative to overpopulation now is it? You can't tell people where to live in our own country, let alone others countries.

I find what this guy did to be stupid, irresponsible, and out and out disgusting, but then trying to turn that into "we can't build here" is twisting a story to your own ends.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:23 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,224,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Elephants are docile quiet creatures but incredibly smart.
Very intelligent yes, with a complex social system. But docile? Not hardly. Wild elephants are estimated to kill 500 people a year, worldwide. A mature bull during musth can be like a runaway tank gone berserk, attacking and killing anything in its path.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:25 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonaos View Post
With the way humans are multiplying now, it wont be long until every animal species on land can be considered a "problem". The locals in Africa - who double their numbers every 15 years btw - build a new village in the middle of Elephant country and farm over the Elephant's food supply = Starving Elephants "stealing" human crops = Problem Elephant, he needs to be shot now. 15 Years later and more African's are around and they to need a Village of their own = repeating problem. They need a village to and surely there will be new starving animals stealing their food there to [since they farmed over it]. But the problem is always the Elephant/Lion etc and never people who dont manage themselves and their environment.

Actually the cougar and wolf problems in the American West have more to do with tree-hugger preservationism stopping realistic game management (a.k.a. conservation) practices.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:49 AM

2,403 posts, read 5,241,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
The authors objection is without merit. It circles around a subjective objection to the manner to which they did it, which is absurd.

The CEO was 100% in the right here.

Elephant was a problem, infringing on the peoples food source in a country where food is at the top of their list of problems.

Look at the idiot's complaints.
Elephants are the problem??????? Talk about an idiot. How many elephants are there and how many people are there. And the elephants have been there a lot longer than the people. But as always the ones with the guns win.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:52 AM

2,403 posts, read 5,241,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Actually the cougar and wolf problems in the American West have more to do with tree-hugger preservationism stopping realistic game management (a.k.a. conservation) practices.
No, the problem is the gun fetishists and out of control expansionism that destroys everything in it's path. And no, it's not management, it's killing.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:57 AM

2,131 posts, read 4,915,578 times
I'm paying for a full year of web hosting and renewing my domain for ten years - just to **** off PETA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies