Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 09:26 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times

Advertisements

The President needs to get his priorities straight to set an example.

He is out wasting billions on vacations, golf etc while kids and adults are starving.

How nice of him to not notice what is happening on his watch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 09:28 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times
Progressive logic:

Kill the baby because they simply don't want it but God forbid they starve to death over irresponsible parenting. What is the damn difference besides one is forcefully killed (murdered) and the other dies a natural selection death. How can you people condone abortion, but not natural selection? One is natural and the other is man made.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:48 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Progressive logic:

Kill the baby because they simply don't want it but God forbid they starve to death over irresponsible parenting. What is the damn difference besides one is forcefully killed (murdered) and the other dies a natural selection death. How can you people condone abortion, but not natural selection? One is natural and the other is man made.
Conservative Logic: We can't afford to care for the children we have now, so let's force people to have more.

Fact: Ban abortion and the welfare rolls will increase substantially.

Fact: Abortion does not kill babies. Fetuses are not babies.

If you force people to have children they cannot afford, be prepared to pay the price.

I know you would like to let the children starve to punish their parents and teach them a lesson, but that is not going to happen in this country.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:14 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Blame it on the people who abuse the system. No one should be raising families on taxpayer money.

I do agree, but many many needlessley do. There are many familes today, abusing taxpayer money, family works for S.S. office, i here it all and thenseome. You have no idea of just how many recklessly abluse our system, when they can in reality work. Makes it very hard for those who truly deserve the help.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:42 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,733,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
It is apparently very shallow. Several years ago, here in Massachusetts, there was a ballot initiative to lower the income tax rate from 5.75% to 5.0%. There was such an uproar from the Democrats here that the legislature put in an option for filing that would allow people to continue paying at the former rate simply by checking a box on you tax return. The income tax reduction narrowly passed. The following year a mere .02% of state taxpayers checked the box for the former rate.
Democrats are all for spending other people's money.
You got that right. And John Kerry is Exhibit #1.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:45 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Conservative Logic: We can't afford to care for the children we have now, so let's force people to have more.

If you force people to have children they cannot afford, be prepared to pay the price.

I know you would like to let the children starve to punish their parents and teach them a lesson, but that is not going to happen in this country.
Ah, Liberal Logic. Forcing people to have children they can't afford would be rape.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:50 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,852,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post

When liberals say "force people to have more" I want to kick puppies, are any liberals smart enough to realize the difference between wanting people to take responsibility for their choices and forcing someone to do something?

Nobody forces idiots to get pregnant. Nobody forces anyone to have children they don't want, NOBODY. If you don't want children don't get pregnant.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:54 AM

9,891 posts, read 10,825,432 times
Another anti religious bigotry thread?

Old 03-31-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HS_DUDE View Post
At the end of the day is there a difference between individual welfare (i.e. benefits) and corporate welfare (i.e. tax breaks)? Is there a difference in the government cutting a $10 check or the government reducing it's income $10?

I mean I, for one, am sure glad that corporate America is spending its tax breaks on overseas, outsourced labor. At least individual welfare benefits are used in THIS COUNTRY.
I agree with you. Let's ban all welfare, corporate as well as individual. Corporate welfare is the result of legislators manipulating the tax code to benefit favored constituencies. We need either a flat tax or a national sales tax. That way everbody pays for their government and no one gets special treatment.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
More proof that conservatism has become a doctrine of selfishness.

People are poor for many reasons. Some people become poor AFTER they have children. Here are some reasons that people become poor:

Death of spouse
Mental illness
Debilitating Physical Illness
Long term Employer Shuts down
Leaving a physically abusive relationship
Loss of work due to Vehicular Accident
and many more...

Over 50% of the country's poor are children who have no accountability for the situation they are in. For many, government benefits are the difference between eating and not eating. I am glad to have my tax dollars support such programs.

What happened to "Judge not, lest ye be judged?"

If you feel strongly about the poor becoming self sufficient-- Go out and volunteer to tutor, mentor or be a big brother/big sister. Volunteer at a school in a poor neighborhood. Join a literacy program and teach an illiterate adult to read. Volunteer to teach immigrants English...

To just sit here and judge the poor in the vilest language possible, says way more about you than it does the poor people you are indicting.
I have a better idea. Eliminate all welfare. Then pass on the tax savings to those who paid the taxes to begin with. Then let individuals do acts of charity with the extra income they have. That way welfare will cease to be an entitlement but rather genuine charity which benefits both the giver and the recipient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies